991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warming up in Sport+

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014 | 01:58 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Sports plus would not have made a difference at idle rpm as it only kicks in during revving (mapping) & gear shifts (higher rpm than standard mode) so no revving = no sports plus.
Old 06-17-2014 | 11:57 AM
BJK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Sports plus would not have made a difference at idle rpm as it only kicks in during revving (mapping) & gear shifts (higher rpm than standard mode) so no revving = no sports plus.
Here's the discussion that prompted this test:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/776515-oil-temp.html

In it there is some confusion, or perhaps open questions, about how sport+ impacts the thermal management system (this is separate from throttle mapping - all else being equal an engine running at 4000 rpms, or idle, should warm the oil at the same rate in sport+ or normal mode; it's the mode's impact on cooling the engine that is of interest). LexVan in particular asks if he should be running in normal mode to heat the oil fastest. I've certainly noted that the oil generally runs cooler in sport plus vs. normal, which leads to the question of whether or not sport+ changes the thermal management settings at warm up, slowing the process. The (limited) data suggest that this is not the case.

Now, this test was done on a 3.4 engine. LexVan has a powerkit on his C2S, which includes an extra radiator, so he may see different results.
Old 06-17-2014 | 06:47 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Having done it, it is worth pwning the LIN bus to avoid having to hit the Sport button every time I start the car. (If you have to ask, you don't want to mess with it.)

Since I normally drive in PDK auto mode, I wouldn't want Sport+ to come on automatically, though -- just Sport. And I don't think it's valid to compare the warmup behavior of the various modes by letting the car idle.
Old 06-17-2014 | 06:55 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

there is more to warming up a car than just the motor .....
don't forget that the gear box and differential lubricants start out cold each day also
Old 06-18-2014 | 04:53 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Doesn't the oil return get redirected and circulated through an oil cooler (or maybe an "extra" oil cooler or something) in the front valance(s) when Sport+ is engaged? I thought I remember something about that.

That might explain the warmer temps at 5, 10 and 15 minutes because there's no air flowing through the valance opening and cooling fins if you're sitting there idling for 25-ish minutes.

Nice test, but if there is an oil cooler involved in one of the samples and not the other, you lost control of the variables.
Old 06-18-2014 | 09:15 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Doesn't the oil return get redirected and circulated through an oil cooler (or maybe an "extra" oil cooler or something) in the front valance(s) when Sport+ is engaged? I thought I remember something about that.

That might explain the warmer temps at 5, 10 and 15 minutes because there's no air flowing through the valance opening and cooling fins if you're sitting there idling for 25-ish minutes.

Nice test, but if there is an oil cooler involved in one of the samples and not the other, you lost control of the variables.
Correct...this test should have been done with the car moving, since no one in real- life driving sits that long after starting a cold car unless its 20 below zero.
Old 06-19-2014 | 12:55 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Even if 20 below, NEVER warm up a car by just idling it for 20 minutes.

Quick Reply: Warming up in Sport+