Sponsored by:

CQuartz question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CQuartz question/problem

I had CQuartz Finest professionally installed on my 911. He said he put three coats over the entire car. To be honest I really can't tell any difference in the paint or wheels. When I wash it, it beads, but it did before also. The wheels get dirty just as fast as before so don't see anything there. I drove less than 100 miles and have break dust all over the wheels. The only thing I can say is the windshield repels water. The paint surface is somewhat slick but not much different than before.

I assume it will protect the paint but was assuming the slick surface would repel dirt etc. as I have heard from others. I did not watch him as I was at work but assume he did what he said.

Any thoughts on users that have this? Is there something wrong with it or am I too picky.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Did the detailer do a full paint correction, prior? How much were you charged? Why he needed to put 3 coats on is beyond me, but I don't know much about the CQuartz product.

My car was OptiCoat Pro within 4 weeks after delivery this spring. Full paint corrected (stage 1 and some stage 2) The dirt just falls off during washings. Haven't noticed it staying cleaner, longer, between washes.

Send a PM to Phil at Detailers Domain. Ask him why 3 coats.

If you want your wheels to stay clean, and repell dirt and brake dust for HUNDREDS of miles, start using Armor All Wheel Protectant spray. Great stuff.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Whether it's a coating like CQuartz/Opti-Coat, a sealant, or a wax; there is no such thing as dirt repelant. The coating simple adds a layer on top of your clear coat making it shine a bit more, bead water a bit more, and mainly help protect your clear coat from scratches and swirls.

Personally I don't like the look of coatings like CQuartz as you don't get as much beading and you don't get the "depth" you get from a quailty wax and some sealants. The trade-off is that you give those up in favor of durability and maybe a little extra protection. The coating won't look much different than your basic corrected/clean clear coat.

Unlike Opti-Coat that will not bond with itself, CQuartz can be layered as long as you let each layer cure.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Samp4
Racer

Did the detailer do a full paint correction, prior? How much were you charged? Why he needed to put 3 coats on is beyond me, but I don't know much about the CQuartz product.
Yes full correction and three coats because he had enough that he said he kept applying to use it up. I think it was about $750 for all of it. The car looks great and yes I realize it is not the same as a good waxing but for a DD it is good.

I was told that it would keep the paint and wheels clean as the dust would fall off and not stick.

I will try Armor All Wheel Protectant spray and see how that works

Thanks
Old 06-05-2014, 01:34 PM
RichardC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
I was told that it would keep the paint and wheels clean as the dust would fall off and not stick.
Probably meant keep clean when you rinse. I have Opti-Coat on my car. The dust still gets dirt on it, but it comes off easily when I pressure wash the car. My regular maintenance is pressure wash rinse and then leaf blower dry. It keeps the car relatively clean, so I don't need to wash as often.

Richard
Old 06-05-2014, 02:15 PM
RIndy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardC
Probably meant keep clean when you rinse. I have Opti-Coat on my car. The dust still gets dirt on it, but it comes off easily when I pressure wash the car. My regular maintenance is pressure wash rinse and then leaf blower dry. It keeps the car relatively clean, so I don't need to wash as often. Richard
I applied opti coat 2 to front painted wheels. At next wash, using a no touch cleaner and pressure wash, they were noticeably easier to clean than back wheels. I wish I would have used it earlier. I'm sure your coating will do the same.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:59 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RIndy
I applied opti coat 2 to front painted wheels. At next wash, using a no touch cleaner and pressure wash, they were noticeably easier to clean than back wheels. I wish I would have used it earlier. I'm sure your coating will do the same.
I too opti-coated all four of my Sport Classic wheels and it has certainly made a huge difference in cleaning them...Just pressure wash and towel dry. No need to even use any kind of soap or wheel cleaner.

The ArmorAll stuff does work, but it is messy and leaves the wheels looking very dull. And, its expensive because you have to use so much of it...and, if you miss a spot, you will definitely notice where you missed.

To the OP, there is no "magic cure" for not having to wash your car. They do get dirty from brake dust and soot. Its just a fact. The sealant just makes the washing easier.

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Samp4
Racer

I really don't expect a non-wash results but I have the same cleaning requirements after as before - especially on my wheels. I enjoy the washing part as many do but just like it to look the best between washings.
I am guess maybe he did not do exactly what he said. I may try some more CQuartz (I have a little left from his process) and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the input
Old 06-05-2014, 04:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you by any chance have before and after photo's? Your avatar is 'before' right?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Samp4
Racer

Yes it is before but there is no visible difference.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

I have Opti-Coat.

No idea if it's easier to wash, but the paint is glossier and shinier. Not imagining it as I've had my car next to another silver C2 at the lot, and under the sun it's appreciably noticeable.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:25 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by socalsteve
I too opti-coated all four of my Sport Classic wheels...
Did you get only the faces coated, or were the wheels removed and the interior coated as well? How about the brake calipers? I'm getting getting all of it done, because I'm hoping I can get it clean with just the Sonax wheel cleaner and minimize needing to get in their with a brush.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by walterwu
Did you get only the faces coated, or were the wheels removed and the interior coated as well? How about the brake calipers? I'm getting getting all of it done, because I'm hoping I can get it clean with just the Sonax wheel cleaner and minimize needing to get in their with a brush.
You have to take the wheels off, decon, clay, wipe down with IPA, then coat the entire painted surface of the wheel. A coating makes it a bit easier to get dust off the wheels, but you will still need to agitate with various brushes. Even with a pressure washer, Sonax will not get the wheels completely clean without some agitation. With Porsche brakes comes Porsche brake dust... You can look at the extra time spent cleaning as bonding time.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:09 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by walterwu
So, I have a different take than Money on this...

I did NOT take the wheels off and was still able to decontaminate the entire wheel, both face and drums. I did it myself. It was very easy and didn't take more than about 1/2 an hour a wheel.

I find that if I just use the pressure washer and then dry the wheels, the brake dust is all gone. No brushes needed nor cleaning fluids. It really does make cleaning the wheels much, much easier as it saves a couple steps.

Here is what I did:

Pressure wash wheels
Used Sonax, scrubbed
Pressure washed wheels
Iron X, scrubbed
Pressure washed wheels
NanoSkinned wheels
Pressure washed wheels
Dried wheels really well and made sure no residue was left on any surface
Applied Opti Coat to entire wheel, including face, calipers and drums.

Left a nice shiny coat on the wheels and like I said before, cleaning them is a real breeze now!

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:31 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CQuartz

Originally Posted by Samp4
Yes it is before but there is no visible difference.
This perplexes me, because on a vehicle that is the color of yours, you should have been able to tell a dramatic difference if the prep-work, i.e. polishing was performed and then the CQuartz was applied.

CQuartz Finest should have made the paint after polishing look like a deep mirror.

HUMP
Carolina Auto Image
Upstate, SC
www.carolinaautoimage.com
info@carolinaautoimage.com
FB and INSTAGRAM

Quick Reply: CQuartz question/problem