Sponsored by:

Everything is connected in these cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:35 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Everything is connected in these cars

Took my 2012 991S2 into the dealer for an oil change and instrument cluster update. After leaving the dealer and on the highway I noticed the digital and analog speedo, the miles to empty and the idle shut off system were not working. So back to the dealership . . . The fix was to lock and then unlock the car. After that everything was operational. Amazing to me, the door locks are tied into the dash cluster and who knows what else. These cars are computers with wheels.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Likely the update wiped out the user key memory - so when you locked/unlocked, it re-established your previous settings.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 461 Posts

Likely the update wiped out the user key memory - so when you locked/unlocked, it re-established your previous settings.
I don't think so, the car started and drove normally and I have arrive and drive so the key was in my pocket the entire time.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Is that the photo of your instrument cluster update there in your avatar?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

regarding your 928 center console ....wow...memories of the good old days when you could pop out the standard oddment tray on German sports cars and pop in the DIN panel to mount three aftermarket VDO gauges of your choice ...been there , done that ...35 years ago
Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Took my 2012 991S2 into the dealer for an oil change and instrument cluster update. After leaving the dealer and on the highway I noticed the digital and analog speedo, the miles to empty and the idle shut off system were not working. So back to the dealership . . . The fix was to lock and then unlock the car. After that everything was operational. Amazing to me, the door locks are tied into the dash cluster and who knows what else. These cars are computers with wheels.
Actually, you are correct -- the electronic systems that control just about everything electrical or electro-mechanical in the car ARE connected centrally. CAN bus, or Controller Area Network. If you are interested, take a look at CAN bus definition on Wikipedia.

This is also why when something goes wrong with the electrical system or electronic components the problem may manifest itself in various ways, like windows dropping, side mirrors tilting down while driving, and so on... Welcome to the modern world!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:53 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I got my car back last week from service, and after the update I expected to lose all of my presets, settings, memory, etc. but the only thing that had changed was the clock DST setting was unchecked.

But then again, they locked the car after parking it, so maybe that made all the difference?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine was 99% the same after service as well. The only thing that was different was the auto start stop was enabled (I always leave it disabled). So when I stopped at by the road to look for traffic the engine shut off. Only took me a second to realize what it was. I only got to WT/WTF before I figured it out.

In any case you'd think that if they do something that wipes anything they would either restore it for you or at least tell you.

Quick Reply: Everything is connected in these cars