Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe vs. Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:21 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't like the hump in the back of the cab. I would never get one just for that reason.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:45 PM
blktaln
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

can't deny that cabs are gorgeous...

my concerns only applies if you're owning it for a long time, are when the rag top gets old the look and cost of replacement...

targa almost makes sense, but it's not a full convertible top...

we can't have it all!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:59 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like so many things discussed in this forum, it is a matter of personal preference. For me, it is coupe all the way, and I don't even want a sunroof.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:01 PM
aml161
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bacura
I love engineering. Cutting the top off a car is poor engineering. Wind in the hair is fun but I'm bald. If you like less rigid and heavier sports cars I'd get a targa.
Don't know about the poor engineering part, but it is certainly more engineering.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:10 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
All true if the OP wants to track the car or go for lots of "spirited" driving in twisty roads but for most that's less than 5% of their driving time, why sacrifice 95% for that 5%? As for Turbo - well lets be honest if we go down that why route then we should all stick to C2, or even a 3 series.
I agree, it depends on how much spirited driving you do, and from my experience with California convertible drivers, most are driving with other things in mind. So to each his own. I commute daily and I drive very aggressively all the time, maybe not the safest thing to do, but I enjoy it. And there is a very noticeable difference from a Porsche vs BMW (I own both), also C2 vs C2S. I didnt buy Turbo b/c that is too much car for me--if I had it, it would mostly be for show.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"With the top up they look nowhere near as nice as a coupe"...........Funny, I think the Cayman Coupe is more appealing than the 991 Coupe. I didn't want a 991 until I saw a brown on white C2S. With top up or down I prefer the cabrio's shape. Guess that's why they are both available
Old 06-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I have had 4 TT's. 2 cabs 2 coupes. 996 and 997 types. In those variants it was very noticeable how much stiffer the coupes were even in the 997. I did love them all and did not track.
Drove a 991 cab before choosing the 4s coupe and thought the cab was solid and much more integrated with the lines of the car as far as looks. Chose the coupe as I was really taken with the guards red and the overall lines of the car.
No bad choice, if you are a track rat you will definitely prefer the coupe, if not go with what you will love. It will be lightening fast in either version.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it me or does the coupe have a stronger sense of presence in that when looked upon from a few steps away, visually it looks like a bigger car?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:30 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my cab .... owned many 911 coupes, targas and cabs, the 991 is the best they've ever made. And the lines look good to me!

Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
I love my cab .... owned many 911 coupes, targas and cabs, the 991 is the best they've ever made. And the lines look good to me!

My favorite cab color combo! Beautiful!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:12 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I've owned both variants, its all good. Coupes are 50% more stiffer in the chassis, so if you plan on track days or doing autocross, that's what you want. Convertibles are a treat for the senses, and I've come to work every day this week with the top down - as well as my evening commute. The new Targa is not any stiffer than the Cab, so dont' get that unless you just want that look, the chassis is tuned even a little softer than the Cab according to the magazine reports. And the Targa apparently has more wind buffeting issues than the Cab. As far as looks, a Coupe really has the best lines - but ya know when I'm driving it - what do I care? I don't do track days like I used to (now just one or two a year) so my 991S is a Cab....but I'd not turn up my nose at a Coupe, either.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:53 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I don't like the hump in the back of the cab. I would never get one just for that reason.
try humping in the back of a coupe.........
Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you driven around in the bright sun with the top down there is so much glare ? I was prone to driving with the top down on gray days not bright off shore days. Even less visibility out the back window ect. I think I would rent a convertible for a few days even a mustang or something . If you like it then buy it.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:11 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
Like so many things discussed in this forum, it is a matter of personal preference. For me, it is coupe all the way, and I don't even want a sunroof.
Yep. Although, I will admit, if all my driving were limited to blue sky summers driving 35 mph within the valley at Yosemite National Park, I could be persuaded to .... nope. Sorry! Kidding!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:18 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are no GT3 cabs for a reason, although if they saw enough demand they might change their mind. They are building every kind of car now except a pick-up truck....have I just started a rumor? There is no way that any Porsche, from the Macan on up, should be driven anywhere near its limits on public roads. This is also true for the Honda Civic. The fact that the coupe has higher limits than the cab is meaningless until you are on the race track. I love my cab because of its inherent multiple personalities, that said to my eye the coupe is better looking.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs. Cabriolet