Sponsored by:

Break in a 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Yes, it is. You have to have a "Limited Edition Paint-To-Sample Rennlist Secret Decoder Ring" to be able to use the expanded emoticon list!

Sorry!
This vexes me. I am vexed. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/2.gif And technically-challenged too, evidently.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mondrian
I will be taking delivery of my 50th next month, I am tempted to have it dyno tested on day one and again at 3000 after the gentle running-in period. It would be great to have a few more from either camp do the same so that we can have a proper comparison.
There's so much to unpack here I hardly know where to begin! In no particular order: dyno testing involves running full throttle to redline. There goes the all-important gentle factory break-in! And on day one, no less! But then after so thoroughly blowing the factory off, to revert back to gentle low RPM driving for 3000 miles.... hmmm....

Then another dyno. What's that supposed to prove? The dyno voided the factory break-in, so results won't be relevant to that. But while running full-on for the dyno is exactly what's needed to seat the rings, a brief dyno run isn't really enough to do a proper job of that either.

What would make sense is to just take your car and break it in the right way: replace the Mobil-1 with ordinary motor oil, run the car as hard as you possibly can for at least the first couple hundred miles, change back to Mobil-1. When the car fails to explode (or experience whatever calamity supposedly is guaranteed to befall all those who fail to follow the instructions followed by whatever minority follows instructions printed in manuals given to only a fraction of owners- the ones who even bother reading it, that is) you'll know the factory hoo-haw is, uh, hoo-haw. (Not to be confused with Hee-Haw, which in this context is a perfectly respectable and eminently credible TV show.)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
If you say so. But maybe you'll be kind enough to clarify, just which Porsche recommendations you're talking about? The ones they give to customers in the US? Or Brazil? While you're at it, maybe you can explain why the same car has to be driven differently depending on where its shipped?

(WTF? The stirring the pot emoticon was a one-off???@!! )
991s are not the same in every country it is sold in. Every country and even some US states have different emission, safety and legal warranty requirements resulting in many variations. Fuel composition is also greatly varied. In Brazil for one most cars run on ethanol.

You can't go wrong following the recommendations that came with your car.

The link: http://www.animateit.net/data/media/.../deadhorse.gif
Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 AM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by Zohan
Those who got enough self restrain are following Porsche recommendations those who don't make excuses.
And then there's a third category: those who don't know any better.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:25 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Zohan
You can't go wrong following the recommendations that came with your car.
Straw man. http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html
Old 06-04-2014, 10:33 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Well here is the manual for the US:

and here is the one for Hong Kong:

Old 06-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Zohan
Racer

What does this have do with the price of tea in China?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's so much to unpack here I hardly know where to begin! In no particular order: dyno testing involves running full throttle to redline. There goes the all-important gentle factory break-in! And on day one, no less! But then after so thoroughly blowing the factory off, to revert back to gentle low RPM driving for 3000 miles.... hmmm....

Then another dyno. What's that supposed to prove? The dyno voided the factory break-in, so results won't be relevant to that. But while running full-on for the dyno is exactly what's needed to seat the rings, a brief dyno run isn't really enough to do a proper job of that either.

What would make sense is to just take your car and break it in the right way: replace the Mobil-1 with ordinary motor oil, run the car as hard as you possibly can for at least the first couple hundred miles, change back to Mobil-1. When the car fails to explode (or experience whatever calamity supposedly is guaranteed to befall all those who fail to follow the instructions followed by whatever minority follows instructions printed in manuals given to only a fraction of owners- the ones who even bother reading it, that is) you'll know the factory hoo-haw is, uh, hoo-haw. (Not to be confused with Hee-Haw, which in this context is a perfectly respectable and eminently credible TV show.)
It's difficult to understand what you are actually saying when you rant & rave like that.

Last edited by Mondrian; 06-04-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:15 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

This vexes me. I am vexed. www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/2.gif And technically-challenged too, evidently.
Chuck just put img tags around it:

Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Zohan
Racer

Is it your face to foot style? Or your knots to fist style?

chuck911 was purposely trained wrong as a joke
Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Purchased my first 911 in 1970 and have owned a total of four over the years. I always took it easy, under 5K RPM, for the first couple hundred miles, but then drove them aggressively. Never had any problems with excessive oil consumption, nor any catastophic engine failures, at least when I owned them.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 AM
chuck911
Race Car

I totally understand the reasoning behind the baby-it break-in approach. I just happen to think that every single one of the reasons given falls apart upon close examination- and I have taken the time to address each and every one of these points, in detail. To date I'm unable to recall a single instance of anyone successfully rebutting any of these points. If a winning argument is a rant, so be it. Guilty as charged.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The only way to really know the correct answer is to perform what we call a "scientific test". To do this, we must have three groups:

- the folks that followed the factory recommendations
- the folks that jumped in their brand new car and redlined it every chance they got
- control group (who just drove)

You decide which camp you will be in. You don't have to tell us. In fact, please don't! That will mess it all up. Just keep it to yourself.

Got it?

OK, now, in 15 years the average 911 will have only 40K miles on it, so that won't prove anything. We need high mileage cars, so let's all agree that in 2060 we will update this thread with the results.

That is, if you haven't sold the car, turned it in at the end of the lease or failed to put 100K miles on it by then. Or died.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Cult Leader
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally understand the reasoning behind the baby-it break-in approach. I just happen to think that every single one of the reasons given falls apart upon close examination- and I have taken the time to address each and every one of these points, in detail. To date I'm unable to recall a single instance of anyone successfully rebutting any of these points. If a winning argument is a rant, so be it. Guilty as charged. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O8EDuUA4qo
I must apologize for Wimp Lo (chuck911) he is an idiot.
Dude give it up, you lost this debate on every point. Get your self a 991 first than will talk.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 09-28-2015, 05:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

If you can't take Andreas Preuninger's advice as head of Porsche's GT division, who's can you??

Straight from Rennsport this past weekend.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...reuninger.html

Quick Reply: Break in a 991