Sponsored by:

Break in a 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
It really depends... if you wanna give your boyfriend a hand-job while driving you want the PDK.
PDK... PROTECTS YOUR ENGINE

Old 05-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911

Or questions on an internet forum. More often than not they'll get answers that can vary from helpfully reinforcing to neutral to downright punishing. Every once in a while they get me and hit the jackpot. Like this one here, for example. More than makes up for the punishment of the last three before Dukes. And there you go.
Admit it Chuck - even you have to laugh when you come up with some of this stuff!
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2014, 04:16 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Hammer is right.

Without threads like this Chuck would begin to stumble with his wit. We don't want that.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Motomans conclusions are based on a false assumptions.

"Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ...
How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of
PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) of combustion pressure ??
Of course it can't. "

The ring exerts 5-10lb of literal pressure and is opposed by the cylinder wall. The ring is resting in the piston groove which can easy support combustion pressure. Only a small surface area of the ring is exposed to the combustion chamber pressures. I can see that it has no engineering background or much knowledge on what he's talking about
Old 05-30-2014, 06:18 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drove it like I stole it from day one!
I'm not always hammering it, but I drive however I want when I want.
Sports+ 95% of the time and no worries of redlining it
I'm leasing mine so I know it will be gone in a couple years (or sooner if I do a pull ahead) and it will be under warranty for my duration so......
Old 05-30-2014, 11:27 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpeed
drove it like I stole it from day one! I'm not always hammering it, but I drive however I want when I want. Sports+ 95% of the time and no worries of redlining it I'm leasing mine so I know it will be gone in a couple years (or sooner if I do a pull ahead) and it will be under warranty for my duration so......
I purchased mine. I broke it in and i drive it like I own it.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:55 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't believe in breaking in an engine these days - drive it like you stole it straight out of the dealer.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:04 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Days of past. Not anymore.
Bummer, I was under the impression that all engines are dyno making sure that they all produce at least the amount of HP advertised. So what are you saying is that the engines are put in the car and never even fired once to make sure they are all working properly?
Old 05-31-2014, 03:50 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Admit it Chuck - even you have to laugh when you come up with some of this stuff!
Totally. And it might be even worse than that. I sometimes feel I'm writing as much for my own entertainment as others. Like right this moment, channelling Ferdinand Porsche, "I couldn't find the post I was looking for, so I decided to write my own. If it pleases me, perhaps it will please others as well." More on that, tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:58 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
Motomans conclusions are based on a false assumptions.

"Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.

If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ...
How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of
PSI (Pounds Per Square Inch) of combustion pressure ??
Of course it can't. "

The ring exerts 5-10lb of literal pressure and is opposed by the cylinder wall. The ring is resting in the piston groove which can easy support combustion pressure. Only a small surface area of the ring is exposed to the combustion chamber pressures. I can see that it has no engineering background or much knowledge on what he's talking about
If you take the time to actually read everything (or bother to look these things up- see:Google) you'll learn that piston rings are designed to channel combustion gas pressure so that the pressure itself forces the rings against the cylinder wall. The point Motoman makes is not that the springs provide the pressure, but that they only provide enough pressure to scrape oil. The real pressure, and seal, is created by combustion. This is why running hard is essential. Only full power creates the pressure required to press the rings into the cylinder wall with enough pressure to force these very hard surfaces to mate well.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:43 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The point of the brake in is for the moving parts to get polished against each other.

I like to call a polishing expert to the stand:
Always try the LEAST aggressive method first.
ps. My internal combustion engine research was funded by University of Michigan and resulted in a patent.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:49 AM
markleach
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No mention in the uk manual about not going above 4000 revs,just says to avoid short trips,don't take part in track events and avoid high engine speeds especially when cold.
The advise I was given was to drive it as normal.
I have owned a 996 turbo s from new didn't run that in and 10 years later not a single problem.
Porsche don't help here as they seem to give different advise in drivers manuals depending where you are
Old 05-31-2014, 09:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Totally. And it might be even worse than that. I sometimes feel I'm writing as much for my own entertainment as others. Like right this moment, channelling Ferdinand Porsche, "I couldn't find the post I was looking for, so I decided to write my own. If it pleases me, perhaps it will please others as well." More on that, tomorrow.
You're just now figuring that out? The rest of us have known that for quite some time!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:16 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by markleach
No mention in the uk manual about not going above 4000 revs,just says to avoid short trips,don't take part in track events and avoid high engine speeds especially when cold.
The advise I was given was to drive it as normal.
I have owned a 996 turbo s from new didn't run that in and 10 years later not a single problem.
Porsche don't help here as they seem to give different advise in drivers manuals depending where you are
A common misconception is that the break-in specified in USA Porsche manuals is for the engine, whereas it is actually a driver break-in which apparently is unnecessary for European drivers.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
A common misconception is that the break-in specified in USA Porsche manuals is for the engine, whereas it is actually a driver break-in which apparently is unnecessary for European drivers.
I wouldn't have thought that would be necessary as they all drive in straight lines across the pond.

Quick Reply: Break in a 991