Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in a 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Depends if you own it or lease it. The answer might be different!
Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Jeff
Depends if you own it or lease it. The answer might be different!
Ah ha ha...that's a good answer...but in my case I will own it.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:51 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

I went whole hog at the track with 600 miles on her. I did the first 600 calmly, warmed and varied. Felt like enough.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome Dr.

Nice ride. Another Los Angeles storm trooper I see.

There are really two ways to do this.

Drive it exactly the way you want to now. There are some salesmen that will tell you to have at it. I have also met over a dozen Porsche salespeople over the years that can't find their own a** with two hands either.

The other is in the owners manual it indeed does say break in period should be varying RPM's up until 3000kilometers or 1,864 miles like the other fellow said.

The best way to "break in" your car is do what's comfortable with you. If you can keep it below 4K rpm for the first 2,000 miles great. If not, you don't have to be religious about it. You won't break the car.

There are a dozen heated threads here on Rennlist that attempt to address this question. Even fellows claiming to have talked to God and or a Porsche engineer. Truth is the owners manual says something. Others say something else. If you are a overly particular picky sob like me you will be religious about breaking it in during the mileage and so be it. Then you just sleep better at night.

Either way enjoy and drive in good health.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,839 Likes on 4,797 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG

There are a dozen heated threads here on Rennlist that attempt to address this question. Even fellows claiming to have talked to God and or a Porsche engineer. Truth is the owners manual says something. Others say something else. If you are a overly particular picky sob like me you will be religious about breaking it in during the mileage and so be it. Then you just sleep better at night.
You saying they're not the same person??
Old 05-29-2014, 10:18 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Dr.

Nice ride. Another Los Angeles storm trooper I see.

There are really two ways to do this.

Drive it exactly the way you want to now. There are some salesmen that will tell you to have at it. I have also met over a dozen Porsche salespeople over the years that can't find their own a** with two hands either.

The other is in the owners manual it indeed does say break in period should be varying RPM's up until 3000kilometers or 1,864 miles like the other fellow said.

The best way to "break in" your car is do what's comfortable with you. If you can keep it below 4K rpm for the first 2,000 miles great. If not, you don't have to be religious about it. You won't break the car.

Either way enjoy and drive in good health.
I think I have met every one of them as well...

As for the manual vs PDK...the answer is: ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ..........

You fill in the blank yourself.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:24 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I got it at 10 miles, warmed it up for about 45 minutes, drove it spiritedly up to 6000rpms for 15 minutes, then easy for 1000 miles. It runs great at 6000 miles now.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:27 PM
drmatara
Pro

Welcome Dr.

Thanks for your reply, yeah I guess following what the manual says will not hurt. I ordered MY 2015 C2 Cab but I will not take delivery till Nov or so...it's a long wait with no P-car in my driveway. Back in Jan I sold my 997 C2S Cab and now I'm going through withdrawals lol...but once it gets here...few drives to Palm Springs and that should take care of the break in miles...
Old 05-29-2014, 11:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If you want to go with the 'manual' then the first thing you should ask yourself is, which manual? Because, oddly enough, there are an awful lot of countries where owners manuals say nothing about breaking in with low revs for any number of miles. The next question you might want to ask is, Why? Not just why would Porsche give different advice to different markets (which is bad enough- its supposedly based on engineering, right?) but even more important, why would they give such advice at all? In other words, what mechanical reasons or principles (if any) could possibly be behind such advice? Notice nobody so far has mentioned or even implied any reason whatsoever. Hmmm.

But its even worse, because remember that whatever engineering reason they might give, it needs to be one that works in the US but not, for example, Brazil, Saudi Arabia or China. Considering scientists have pointed their telescopes 15 billion light years across the cosmos and have yet to discover a realm where the universal laws of science do not apply, that would seem to be a tall order. Maybe too tall. Which might explain why even Porsche ignores their so-called factory recommendation every single day, from the way they take race engines racing without thousands of miles of babying, to the way they take customers newly delivered cars straight to the track at Leipzig. I don't know about you, but to me that is an awful lot of contrary evidence.

Especially when it turns out there happen to be some very good reasons for following a very specific set of early operating procedures that not only make good engineering sense but are backed up with a long history of experience from racing http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm to airplanes http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/1828...l?redirected=1 and everything in between. But the funny thing is, those specific, detailed and highly logical reasons are completely opposite the baby-it approach.

Before subjecting yourself, your car, and your immortal soul to thousands of miles of suffering you might want to put some time into studying the above references. Give them some serious thought. Consider, for example, which makes more sense? That high loads during the first few hours of operation are essential in obtaining good piston ring seal? Or that there's some mysterious process that nobody can explain and that works in some places but not others?

Think about it.

And with that, let the unsubstantiated myth-perpetuation resume. I am outta here!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:41 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove it in varied conditions under 4,000 rpm for 500 miles, then drove it harder and harder, not worrying too much about rev limits. I waited until after 2,000 miles before taking it to a track or using sports plus for any significant time though.

I now have ~3,600 miles and the engine has changed character quite dramatically. It revs much more smoothly, seems to have more torque low down and doesn't have any stumbling around 2,800rpm. I have never owned a car where the engine changed so dramatically during and after break-in...

The car is so lacking in torque below 4,000 rpm (compared to above), it's hard to imagine driving under 4,000rpm for a whole 2,000 miles.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DPC
I just got my 911 last Friday…base MT. What's best way to "brake in" the brakes? When close to stopping, the noise is like a whistle!
and there are trends for that too...
Old 05-30-2014, 12:11 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You saying they're not the same person??

LOL.

I hope God and the master race are two totally different entities.

Then again, I'm half German so what do I know. ?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:14 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by socalsteve
I think I have met every one of them as well...

As for the manual vs PDK...the answer is: ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ..........

You fill in the blank yourself.

I know Steve! lol.

They're everywhere! The best BS'ers seem to congregate in Los Angeles though. That's for sure.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:04 AM
drmatara
Pro

Thanks chuck911 for the well written post, however I do have another question, aren't the engines already going through a dyno break-in at the factory?

Quick Reply: Break in a 991