Sponsored by:

WTF, where's my speed limit display?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
The functionality depends whether you have the speed limit detector... This is how it works if you have it... You can see the speed limit in the main MFD by cycling through the MFD display screens... It is the last display after G force and Adaptive cruise control. you can also choose to display it in the upper line of the MFD permanently by going into vehicle > settings > display > upper line ....and ticking the box.
It will also appear in the 'car' screen on the PCM
If you dont have the detector then i believe there are static limits stored in the sat nav but i dont know how these are displayed... Sorry
What is the speed limit detector? I don't have anything special (nor chrono) and have the posted speed limit at the top of my default display on the multi functional instrument display. Seems pre-programmed to me from the nav data.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an optional extra in the UK for a speed limit detector which reads road signs and prioritises the speed limits from detection over that from the sat nav data... The detector is located in the back of the rear view mirror. I suspect the display functionality is the same with/without the detector but the results would be more accurate/up to date with it... E.g roadworks, changes to limits etc..
I have the detector fitted and i have to say it works very well. We face many roadworks here in the UK and quite a few changes to limits due to accident hotspots etc so it all helps me keep my license clean... So far!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:34 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

This is a great technology that works very well in my BMW. When the camera "sees" a speed limit sign, it matches it to a data base of stored sign images and displays the posted speed limit in the HUD. I'll miss it after next week when I swap the M5 for the C4S. My guess is that Porsche hasn't yet mapped North American speed limit signs as they're different from the look of European ones.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:49 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When they do any update, it resets everything to factory default, just like when you picked up your car the first day.

Fairly normal for things like smartphone, laptop and SmartTV.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:57 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
When they do any update, it resets everything to factory default, just like when you picked up your car the first day.

Fairly normal for things like smartphone, laptop and SmartTV.
Had the update done last week when I took it in for its 2 year servicing...

The only change was that it reset the trip computers. ( both of them ) to zero. Kind of a drag as I was really curious ( and checked every few hundred miles) what the overall gas mileage was. Every other setting stayed the same.

Oh well...

Quick Reply: WTF, where's my speed limit display?