Sponsored by:

My 2 month 991 review

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 282 Posts
Default My 2 month 991 review

It's been close to two months since I took delivery of my 991 and I thought I'd throw out a review thus far. First of all, I've never been so happy with a car as I am with the 991. I have also been amazed at how different a 991 that I would spec today would be vs. what I was originally planning on ordering.

As some of you know, I had a GT3 come all the way through production before the stop sale. I finally bailed and took this car out of dealer stock.

The car has basic interior, premium plus, 14 way, aerokit cup, carrera classics, PDK and PSE.

There is but one thing I would change about this car - Sport Chrono. Just because I think it's cool. I haven't felt the performance to be lacking, but sharper throttle response and dynamic engine mounts are right up my alley.

My first track day is in a few weeks, i can't wait to get it out there. I totally underestimated how much of a daily driver this car is. I have a jeep and a bicycle as alternate forms of transportation, and I thought I might need a smilple sedan as my daily driver. Not a chance. This car is perfect for me.

I also underestimated how often I'd have a kid in the back seat (behind the passenger). It has made the car more shareable with the kids and they love riding it together.

Every day, I am enamored with this car - it's an engineering marvel and I couldn't be happier!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

completely agree about the kids in the back. I am no longer getting a GT3 either. My C2S on the track is an absolute blast as well as being extremely capable with a few minor tweaks. Can easily keep up with most 997 GT3s then ride home in comfort and take the family out to dinner.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM
jpbesl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree about the kids in the back! People downplay those rear seats as golf bag holders at most, but I use it on the daycare run every day, and family fun times out with my daughter in the back. She LOVES it, and as a result, the car gets a lot more use than just my "fun time" car.

I'm proud that by 3 years old, she knew that "mommy's car has the engine in the front, and daddy's car has the engine in the back"
Old 05-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

enjoy having the kids along in the back while you can. 3 boys at my house, 16, 16, 14,...shortest is 5'10", those days are over!

Just wait until you get onto the track - you're going to love it!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

I've never even had the seats up!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbesl
I'm proud that by 3 years old, she knew that "mommy's car has the engine in the front, and daddy's car has the engine in the back"
Absolutely, completely, wonderfully awesome
Old 05-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got spotted going to the back of my car to get my laptop from the 'trunk' today... Dang... Embarrassing... 3 year old beats 42 year old!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review. Totally agree re: the back seats. My kids are little (range from 3 to 12), and I've had them in the back plenty of times. My 3 year old affectionately refers to my car as the "vroomy car" (rear engine, PSE always on can do that) and my kids also think the frunk is hilarious.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice to hear. My son, age 3, lives to ride in the 911. He says, "no shoes in the car for me Daddy."
Old 05-18-2014, 02:49 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Totally in same situation, deposit for a GT3 and end up in a 50th edition, very happy with it reasons being these 3 main factors:
daily driven
family functionality (ie rear seats)
and MT
Old 05-18-2014, 03:34 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Agree.

What a nice thread.

sgroer, gt3fantasy, 008, I too was on the fence about waiting for and then waiting again for a GT3.

To be a little, tiny bit completely honest I still have a little GT3 dream in the back of my head. Perhaps at the end of the year when there are a few very low mile 2014 GT3's around with extended engine warranty that can be had I may have to revisit my dealer. Until then....I'll enjoy every waking minute in this car. I couldn't have waited until my allocation anyway and pulled my PSE,PDK,Sport Chrono out of dealer stock too.

To be brutally honest the only time you will miss sport chrono is at the track if you leave it in auto. It holds every gear all the way to red line with the PDK. Otherwise, the ECU mapping is exactly the same in Sport as SportPlus and in Manual either paddles or using the shifter.
Question. Does anyone know or have had the dealer re program the gear shifter so that up shifts and down shifts are what we have in the 991 GT3 car yet? That's the one thing I'd like to change about my PDK car in manual mode. I want to pull back to grab gears as opposed to pushing forward for up shifts.

I think it's really very funny and refreshing hearing about all of the rear seat children stories. My eight year old daughter loves adjusting the front passenger seat all the way up so she can just barely see out the front of the car. She loves driving with me in the car. She just sits indian style when sitting in the back seat.

Incredibly jealous of the color silver and the Aerokit on your car. sgroer, Congrats and thank you for the update on ownership. We all appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:13 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbesl

That's not bad. I also like, "watch out for the dangerous minivan daddy!" and, "look dad, its a Prius! Pass him! PASS HIM!!!" while hitting PSE for you and making a face as you blast past…. Now THAT would be one to go YouTube viral...
Old 05-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Or, "Look daddy, it's just a Cayman, avert your eyes!"

Nice to blend threads from time to time, eh?

Quick Reply: My 2 month 991 review