Sponsored by:

My un-Rennlist 991

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:37 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My un-Rennlist 991

I purchased my first 911 after being an original owner of a 1987 5MT 944 Turbo for 26 years. A middle aged idiot in MB 550 GLK, wearing a pink Juicy Couture track suit and a pink jewel encrusted iPhone ran a red light about 3 seconds after it turned red, and destroyed the front end of my 944. Witnesses say if the driver had missed my car, the driver would have killed the bicyclist who was crossing the intersection at the same time. My 944 could still move under its own power afterwards, but the crash tilted the GLK's front right wheel about 30 degrees to the horizontal and was unmovable. Sweet Revenge - and shows you how 1980's German cars were built like tanks. Got almost $20K from the insurance company, as my car was single owner and concours quality, not bad for a 26-year old car that cost me $32,500 in 1987. I did all the stupid things that you can no longer (and shoudl no longer) do with cars - like going 150+ mph on I-10 to Las Vegas at 3 am in the morning.

Anyway, the silver lining of it was that I would be getting a new Porsche after 26 years. I was thinking of getting a Cayman S, but my wife would let our 4 y.o. son sit in car seat placed in the front, so she let me get a Carrera. When we were at the dealer looking at lot Porsches, she liked the red brakes on a C2S, so of course I obliged. Ended up custom ordering one since it's now 2014 and there is nary a red 911to be found on most dealer lots, at least in the Bay Area.

So why do I call my car an un-Rennlist Porsche? I basically turned a C2S into a small Panamera, as you can see below from my options, include:

1) no PSE - I did not want this "must have" option. I prefer my cars silent and deadly. I am one of those people who get irritate when some douche in a motocycle lanes splits next to me at a stopped intersection, and revvs his motor to my irritation.

2) no Sports Chrono - the car will be my semi-DD, and I have no desire to track the car, and plan on keeping it a long time. I have no need to tool around the neighborhood at 30 mph and 6000 rpm.

3) no Sport steering wheel - It seems a large majority prefers the sports steering wheel, but my wife's only other condition was that I get the heated steering wheel, plus I prefer controlling the stereo from the wheel.

4) I have clear taillights - these seem universally despised on Rennlist, but I like the contrast with a guard red exterior, rather than the off-contrast with the traditional taillights. Together with my clear LED side markers - I like the consistent look.

5) I got the ACC/PAS option - watchingNMurray's YouTube video piqued my interest in this system. Although I'm now in the Bay Area, it seems I spent more than half my life sitting in stop-n-go traffic on the 405 in West Los Angeles, and thought it might make future freeway traffic jams more tolerable (along with PDK, rather than a manual).

6) I got the rear wiper - nobody gets the rear wiper, whether they're a Rennlister or not - but I since this car is the spiritual successor to my 944 Turbo, I got the rear wiper.

7) I got the Sports Design package - just for looks.

1 991120 911 Carrera S
2 G1 Guards Red
3 BR Leather Interior in Black/Platinum Grey
4 250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
5 345 Steering Wheel Heating
6 425 Rear Wiper
7 446 Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest
8 456 Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
9 581 Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
10 583 Smoking Package
11 603 Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
12 636 ParkAssist (Front and Rear)
13 844 Multifunction Steering Wheel
14 970 Two-Tone Leather Interior
15 P06 Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
16 P3E Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way)
17 P3H BOSE® Audio Package
18 XAT SportDesign Package
19 XXG Clear Glass Taillights
20 ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest
21 ZAC No Sunroof

So this is my un-Rennlist 991. The only other thing I will comment about is getting the Bose package. I despise Bose as a company - in the 1990's they sued everybody who disparaged them on the internet and I don't care for their audio products, but I got the option any way as I treated it as getting the base stereo with a subwoofer. I didn't think I have the ear to appreciate the Burmester with the cabin noise of the car, but I did not want anyone mucking around with the car installing custom audio gear, and probably introducing rattles everywhere, if not turning the car into an electronic turd, like NMurray's car. So, I bit the bullet and got the Bose, but I really wish Porsche would drop Bose and use someone else like Bower's and Wilkerson, or even the Infinity system in my Jeep, or the Mark Levinson in my wife's Lexus.

Here's some photos, with my clear LED side markers installed the moment I brought the car home. It only took 5 minutes total, and I didn't get any fault codes from it, unlike what a small minority of Rennlisters had reported. (I also had my Schild hood liner, Porsche all-weather mats, and the frunk cargo crate already purchased and waiting for the car).

Last edited by walterwu; 07-15-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:46 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by walterwu
5 345 Steering Wheel Heating
You like in California. Why the need for heated steering wheel?

20 ZAB Ornamental Porsche Crest
What's the 'ornamental' Porsche crest? Is that the ones on the seats?
Old 05-03-2014, 04:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Doesn't look like a Panamera to me. And with the Smoking Package (not to mention PDK- oops, too late) its hard to say its not a RL car. When you get the clear lights, do they change the third one too? The one on the ducktail looks clear?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:28 PM
beebalm
Racer

Congratulations Walter!

I am so excited to see you purchased a guards red 991S.

My first Porsche was a 1983 guards red 944, then I traded up for a 1985 Carrera Targa in guards red! Just love red!

Guess I needed a break from red so I purchased a 2006 Silver Cayman S. I loved that car too! It had a huge hatch for grocery shopping

Now I am driving a brand new red 991 Carrera S. I just adore my new baby, she is now 2 1/2 months old!

I forget, did the 944 have a back seat?

Your car is a beauty! Enjoy her, you have lots of fun ahead!

BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 05-03-2014, 05:28 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc

if you were a California native like I , you would know that it is made up of many regions very different socially, demographically, politically, topographically ,climatically. The Alps, Sahara , Oklahoma / Iowa, South Beach , poorest Appalachia , coastal rain forest, English moors...all on same day, almost year round.
Many people in LA rarely see the ocean or beaches except a couple days a year during a heat wave..some never have . What you see on TV and movies is made for entertainment / fantasy where youd think everyone lives in Malibu, Beverly Hills or EastLA/south Central LA. Most of the real LA looks more like Dallas or Des Moines.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:38 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats! David S and team at Porsche fremont are the best bunch. I also custom ordered mine from them..yours Definitely not an average 911 but as they say, to each his/her own!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:43 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats ..my first Porsche was a 1986 944 Turbo , which dynamically was superior at the time to the 3.2 Carrera , but which had social baggage of being the ultimate yup-mobile of the era ( guilty as charged ) a stigma thankfully long forgotten , and now revered as a great track car if a well cared for one is found

not a fan generally of the albino tailights but they do look REALLY good on red for some reason- probably because the clashing red reflectors in the lower bumper are camo'd by the car's color

You have the perfect car for your family as specc'd

there is a reason dealers never order cars for stock with combo of no sunroof and 7MT, a particular favorite on these types of enthusiast boards...they sit forever in showroom
Old 05-03-2014, 05:49 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

You had to get the red calipers: oh well.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:26 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuck911
Doesn't look like a Panamera to me. And with the Smoking Package (not to mention PDK- oops, too late) its hard to say its not a RL car. When you get the clear lights, do they change the third one too? The one on the ducktail looks clear?
I didn't know the smoking package was a RL thing... but not getting PSE seemed RL-sacrilegious. The PDK vs. 7MT issue, however, didn't seem so one-sided.

The ducktail third light is already clear to begin with (according to the P-configurator), so getting clear taillights just gives it a bit more of an interated look.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:31 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by beebalm
Congratulations Walter!

Now I am driving a brand new red 991 Carrera S. I just adore my new baby, she is now 2 1/2 months old!

I forget, did the 944 have a back seat?

Your car is a beauty! Enjoy her, you have lots of fun ahead!

BeeBalm
Thanks, BeeBalm! My order locked just before you posted your first pictures, but when I saw yours, I knew I made the right choice with guard red. Your posts made my wait both easier and harder!

And yes, the 944 turbo was also a 2+2, so in many ways the C2S is much more of a spiritual successor than a Cayman could have been.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:36 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally.... I thought I was the only one here with neither sports chrono nor sports exhaust... And I wish I had ordered the ACC. Congrats on your car !!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:38 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by fester
Congrats! David S and team at Porsche fremont are the best bunch. I also custom ordered mine from them..yours Definitely not an average 911 but as they say, to each his/her own!
I definitely agree. Even though they didn't even have a Porsche showroom (still under construction) when I put my order in, and they aren't even the closest P-dealer to me, they were a good group to work with.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Congrats! Enjoy in good health.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 PM
walterwu
Advanced

Like what MKV states, California has a lot of diverse climates, and particularly coastal Northern California is often 10-15 degrees
Cooler than coastal Southern California. But even so, it's all relative. When it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside, you'd be wearing shorts and a T-shirt if you were in Minnesota, but wearing a thick coat if you are from most parts of California.

I have no idea actually. I think it's one of those codes like "no sunroof". I think it's just the P badge on the hood which is added as default? maybe Eduardo knows?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's one of those codes like "no sunroof". I think it's just the P badge on the hood which is added as default? maybe Eduardo knows?
Huh, not sure, but I didn't have it on my recent order and I got the 'no sunroof' and 'passenger cargo net' and all the other weird ones that were free.

Eduardo?

Quick Reply: My un-Rennlist 991