Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 or used Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have owned both turbo and N/A versions. Turbo is a great car and extremely fast. I prefer the N/A variety.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Drive both.
If it's your first Pcar, then the 997 interior won't feel dated... as it has been suggested by others who have owned both.

After owning 4 different NA 911's I'm really enjoying the turbo experience!

As the above poster says.... whatever you choose, you can't go wrong! They are both great cars!!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
I did drive both a 997 Turbo and 991S when I was shopping. If you have not driven a Turbo go drive one. It is a rocket ship. You may find that to be just what you want or over the top. The chassis of the 991 vs the 997 is significantly different also. I felt the 991 chassis was an significant step up.
I drove the 997TT and 991 back-to-back on the same day to make my decision. I agree with Detroit's comment. The TT is a rocket ship. But driving the manual TT and the PDK 991 (C2) right afterwards convinced me to choose the 991. The TT is iconic, but, since I was looking for a daily driver, the 991 was the winner. In handling, interior, and styling. And now that I've been driving the 991 for a few weeks, I'm finding that even the C2 power is relatively unusable. I live in a suburban area and commute into Washington, DC. Along my route, I can hit 100 mph in a few seconds from a virtual standstill and then have to back it right down. I won't be able to appreciate the power or torque until I can get to the track. And it would be even worse with the turbo. It would probably frustrate me into doing nasty things
Old 05-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Pdutto
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving them both, I decided to go with the new 991 !!!
I felt overall better handling, and plenty of torque for my needs.
Thank you all for the precious feedback!!
now my hard choice is going to be PDK vs manual.
I was convinced that manual was the way to go. However today I drove a PDK and now my brain is screwed. I am not sure how I am going to decide. Both options are truly awesome.

By the way, I also drove the new Corvette C7 yesterday. Omg not even close to the 911!!!
911 is sooooo much better. Not sure how in the world can Car and Driver give such high to the C7 review and place it as #1 and 991 as #2! That is just plain wrong, and misleading.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Good for you.
As for your choice of transmission, note that this is probably the last of the manuals in the 911 lineup.
Remember to post pic's when your animal arrives..
Old 05-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Pdutto
Track Day

Duxsi, so are you implying I should go with the MT since it will become more desirable in the future?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

I have no idea what the future holds, and I have never speculated with my cars.
I was just saying that if you want a MT 911, this is most likely the last generation to offer the option.

This is already evidenced by the GT3 only being available with PDK.

I have a manual because I prefer it (NOT because it's better or worse).
Old 05-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Pdutto
Track Day

Originally Posted by duxsi
I have no idea what the future holds, and I have never speculated with my cars.
I was just saying that if you want a MT 911, this is most likely the last generation to offer the option.

This is already evidenced by the GT3 only being available with PDK.

I have a manual because I prefer it (NOT because it's better or worse).
Ok thank you.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Please do not ask the PDK vs MT question, as you will be required to enter the witness protection program.
That debate has caused more bloodshed than I care to recount.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:41 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree with Duxsi. The dual clutch is superior at the track so the GT3 has the PDK, that is reprogrammed with different paddle operation. Porsche well knows that there is a substantial, though shrinking, group of Porsche buyers that want a manual shifter. It would be pointless in my opinion for them to delete it. I do believe that when you go to sell or trade your 991 that the PDK will appeal to a greater number of buyers and that will be reflected in the sale price.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:08 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I don't agree with Duxsi. The dual clutch is superior at the track so the GT3 has the PDK, that is reprogrammed with different paddle operation. Porsche well knows that there is a substantial, though shrinking, group of Porsche buyers that want a manual shifter. It would be pointless in my opinion for them to delete it. I do believe that when you go to sell or trade your 991 that the PDK will appeal to a greater number of buyers and that will be reflected in the sale price.
What exactly are you disagreeing with?
What I said is that it will most likely no longer be an option in the future based on comments from PORSCHE, not a random thought that I pulled out of my rectum.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/p...214-2efl8.html

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...of-manual-911s

Did I stay it would be more valuable or less valuable? NO. However, based on common sense and history, one can make their own deductions.

Did I say it was better? - NO.

Any excuse to reopen this pointless debate.

I'm out..
Old 05-07-2014, 06:45 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Duxsi, I'm as bored with the manual/PDK debate as are you. You postulated that the 991 was likely the last generation that would offer the manual and referred to the PDK only GT3 as an example. I also don't know what the future holds but I disagree with your conclusions. There are good reasons why a car intended for track use would have a dual clutch transmission but if 15-20% of Porsche buyers want manual transmissions they will be available. There is zero development cost to continue to offer them andthey have already passed all the various EPA and other like tests. I didn't say the PDK was better. I think it is a logical deduction that if 80% of Ameican buyers opt for the PDK then it will appeal to more used buyers as well. Not all of my logical deductions have panned out, I'll admit. Most importantly, I meant no disrespect to you, only disagreeing with your point.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:06 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Solomonchris - None taken and I appreciate (and admit) that I too am hyper-sensitive to the preposterous PDK debate.
Let's agree to disagree. The future will no doubt set us both straight.
Be well and enjoy your car.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

No! Please don't agree to disagree! Surely there must be a factually correct answer as to which is best... Or.... Like colours and options it is simply a matter of taste... Surely not?
I have yet to hear anyone denounce the choice they made.... So maybe, just maybe, they are both great... As are the colours and options...
Now can someone tell me the best way to break in a new car/engine
Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 PM
John's 991
Pro

Ok, I will say it. The PDK is just better. It shifts faster and smoother than a human can, including perfect throttle blips and no over-revs. Plus u can still shift manually when you want to. Not even a Pro driver is faster in a MT car. It's faster on track and more pleasant in traffic. It is extra $$$ and weight to be fair. If you get your 991 with the PDK, you will love it.

If you really enjoy the experience of shifting, much like some enjoy carefully putting that needle on the record, then great. I hope you can continue to do so. But it's hard to imagine MTs having much of a future.

This is my honest opinion as somebody who has driven lots of MT cars, including Pcars and race cars as well as a CS2 with PDK. Feel free to disagree, however. It's what make Rennlist entertaining.

Quick Reply: New 991 or used Turbo?