Sponsored by:

New 991 or used Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pdutto
What if the 2011 997 Turbo S was Porsche certified? Would that remove some of the concerns?
I love the 997 turbo S. Personally I'd get that if it's mint. I also prefer the 997.2 interior, yes it's outdated, but I prefer the smaller cabin feel. Performance wise the turbo S is just ridiculous. The turbo engine is pretty bullet proof, and you can mod that monster to make it truly mental.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As has already been stated, drive both and the choice will be clear. I have had 6 different 911's and the 997 C2S cab was the first car I couldn't live with. It was just too damn noisy for me. When driving on a concrete road surface the tire noise drowned out the radio, and I tried cars with several different tire brands. The 991 is a quantum leap forward. It is superior to the 997 in any way I can think to measure. Some object to the new electronic steering in the 991. They may have a point, but I find the steering to be fabulous. I found the interior of the 997 very nice, but I do prefer the luxury of the 991, at least in the Carrera leather red of my 991 S cab. Some of the replacement parts on the turbo cars can be several times more than the NA cars cost. I recall the cost of a clutch replacement on my '89 turbo cab to be three times the cost of my '89 NA car. I didn't need the work done in either case, but I was just checking things out. The late Porsche guru Bruce Anderson, when asked which 911 to buy gave the advice offered in a previous post....buy the newest well cared for 911 that you can
afford. There is no question than having north of 500 hp under your
right foot is an astounding potential, but how often in your driving will
you find 400hp ( in the case of the S) to be inadequate? Whatever you choose....welcome to the club....Chris
Old 05-02-2014, 09:10 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For years I had planned on getting a used turbo. My Dad has had a few of them (modified to be "truly mental") and I was always spoiled by the power when I would drive them. A good friend of mine strongly encouraged me to look at the 991. After driving the 991 the decision was obvious for me. I do miss the power but prefer the better handling car and the much better transmission assuming you want a PDK.

I would not be surprised if in a few years I pick up a used 991 GT3 or turbo but as of now I am very happy with my car. I think bottom line what is more important pure power or handling with the latest in tech. As was mentioned you can't go wrong. Had my friend not mentioned anything about the 991 and I ended up with a 997 turbo I hardly think I would be disappointed.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Pdutto
Track Day

Ok I am leaning towards a new 991....thanks for the great input!
By the way I want a MT one.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Pdutto
Track Day

I am still thinking about this...so this monday I will go to a local dealership here in Mass, and try 2 different 997.2 turbo S. Stay tuned.
I am excited cause it will be my first time driving a 997 turbo.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:10 PM
John's 991
Pro

Pdutto, I agree that driving them both will make the choice clear in your mind. I considered a 997 turbo before getting the 991. I really enjoy the new interior, and general redesign of the 991, so the choice was pretty easy.

There is not really a bad choice between the three you are considering.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I am leaning towards a new 991....thanks for the great input!
By the way I want a MT one.
991 is a better car in every way and a much better option financially also.. Except that... get a 997 if you must have a MT.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Pdutto
Track Day

Rpilot, can you please explain what you mean with the "get a 997 if you must have MT" ?
Indeed I do want MT because I feel much more driving engagement and fun with it
Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rpilot, can you please explain what you mean with the "get a 997 if you must have MT" ?
Indeed I do want MT because I feel much more driving engagement and fun with it
My other post on this matter...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7910...c2s-8.html#112

Keep in mind, it's one person's opinion. Drive for yourself and decide.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Pdutto
Track Day

Ok. I personally did not find any issues on the 991 MT, i felt it was really smooth and quick. But thanks for the input.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Soliciting opinions as to which model of Porsche to purchase is puzzling. If 10 responders are split between recommending one model over the other, should that sway a buying decision. Should not the purchase of any model be predicated on the level of driving satisfaction derived from that specific car. Should anyone really care what others think. I constantly read opinions that strongly diverge from mine but when I post my dissenting view, the response is always the same, " preferences are personal and highly subjective." Well, if that is the case what is the purpose of any of these discussions?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
Soliciting opinions as to which model of Porsche to purchase is puzzling. If 10 responders are split between recommending one model over the other, should that sway a buying decision. Should not the purchase of any model be predicated on the level of driving satisfaction derived from that specific car. Should anyone really care what others think. I constantly read opinions that strongly diverge from mine but when I post my dissenting view, the response is always the same, " preferences are personal and highly subjective." Well, if that is the case what is the purpose of any of these discussions?
And the preferances on the 991 forum are apt to be a lot different than on the 997 turbo forum. Unless someone intends to engage in drag racing, I don't understand why anyone would require 500 HP for the street.
I have a neighbor who owns a 991 Turbo S, and I know that he has never attended any performance driving schools nor has he ever tracked his cars. So I expect that he bought his car because he craves the incredible acceleration offered by the car. I just hope that he doesn't kill himself or someone else when he explores the car's limits.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Does anyone need 400 HP for the street. The average person thinks 150hp is sufficient. Until you drive a TT or TTS and experience the thrill of instant acceleration and having a direct connection between driver and the throttle, even on the street or a country road or a freeway, you may think all that power is superfluous. I find it exhilarating. I have owned a 996 C2, 997 C2S and greatly enjoyed them but for me the TTS took the Porsche experience to a new level and speed directly impacts upon that sensation. The TT and even more so, the TTS simply hits all my subjective buttons.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:25 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Like most of the guys said, go out and drive both. A 997.2 turbo and a 991S back to back.

I just responded to another thread about the feel of the 991 MT cars when new and not broken in so don't let a new outa box 991 MT throw you for a loop if you drive a 991 MT and a 997.2 Turbo back to back. The MT trans in the 991 needs to be "broken in" with thousands of miles for it to shift smooth.

What I think would be a really good thing to do is drive a 991 PDK as a third option just because. I'm not preaching. Just throwing that out there while you go shopping. The reason is if I was in the market today for a 997, it would be a MT without question. All of my sports cars in the past have been MT cars but after I drove the new 991 PDk I fell in love with it. It's light years beyond the 997 PDK. that's no joke. And I'm a MT guy.

10k miles later now in my 991 C2S PDK and I love it.

Oh, and you said as budget goes you were trying to stay around $110. Just an FYI, I picked up my 2013 C2S last October. It had 12 miles on it. Options are:

PDK
Sport Chrono
PSE (sport exhaust)
20" Sport Classics
Sunroof in glass
ParkAssist F/R
Smoking package
BiXenon in black PDLS

All for $110k. Of course the 2014's were starting to show up but if you really shop hard you can get yourself into a new 991 S if that's what you decide to do.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did drive both a 997 Turbo and 991S when I was shopping. If you have not driven a Turbo go drive one. It is a rocket ship. You may find that to be just what you want or over the top. The chassis of the 991 vs the 997 is significantly different also. I felt the 991 chassis was an significant step up.

The good news is that what ever you choose you really can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: New 991 or used Turbo?