Sponsored by:

locked and loaded...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:39 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
This. The configurator's renderer is a 1980s-era joke. Go to a dealer and look for yourself before your order locks.
i think the 3d visualizer is pretty good all things considered! the 2d blows but the 3d is a lot better than most i've played with. where do you feel it lacks? i think it could stand to add the deviated stitch options but maybe there isn't enough demand.

with respect to the colors, i sound like a pretty irresponsible purchaser so i should have added that i have checked out all the iterations of the build i wanted with respect to colors. so all 4 combinations of rhodium/gt silver and sunroof delete/glass sunroof. the more i think about it, i think the glass sunroof will pick up the black wheels and black headlights quite nicely. the reason why i settled on the gt silver was that the rhodium reminded me way too much of silverstone blue on the BMW M series in overcast weather and i like the color a lot, just not for my vehicle. gt silver gives me a bit of warmth and i think a little more depth. this is a car i'm going to keep for a lifetime so i'm going to get everything that i know i'd kick myself for not getting in the future. next p car i will definitely do a PTS. i'd like to match pantone 1797C or a 186U (strong reds)

Last edited by 991999R; 04-06-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
i think the 3d visualizer is pretty good all things considered! the 2d blows but the 3d is a lot better than most i've played with. where do you feel it lacks? i think it could stand to add the deviated stitch options but maybe there isn't enough demand.
I think the biggest problem is that the paint in your images doesn't look anything like GT Silver. They just don't have the shader mojo that's needed to render metallic surfaces accurately. It does do a pretty good job on the interior view, though.

IMHO the glass sunroof looks good on all the silver variants I've seen.

with respect to the colors, i sound like a pretty irresponsible purchaser so i should have added that i have checked out all the iterations of the build i wanted with respect to colors. so all 4 combinations of rhodium/gt silver and sunroof delete/glass sunroof. the more i think about it, i think the glass sunroof will pick up the black wheels and black headlights quite nicely. the reason why i settled on the gt silver was that the rhodium reminded me way too much of silverstone blue on the BMW M series in overcast weather and i like the color a lot, just not for my vehicle. gt silver gives me a bit of warmth and i think a little more depth. this is a car i'm going to keep for a lifetime so i'm going to get everything that i know i'd kick myself for not getting in the future. next p car i will definitely do a PTS. i'd like to match pantone 1797C or a 186U (strong reds)
I don't think you'd regret the sunroof (potential squeaks and leaks aside.) GT Silver looks great with or without it.

I don't care much for Rhodium Silver and was glad I got Platinum Silver on my 2013 981BS before Porsche stopped offering it, but GT Silver was a close contender. I couldn't possibly have formed any opinions based on the online configurator, though.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hi 991999R,
How awesome
You are going to be jumping out of your skin until your sweet baby arrives!
I like both the coupe and sun roof! Let us know what you end up getting!
Have a nice evening,
BeeBalm

Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 184 Posts

i was really agonizing on the glass sunroof because i feel like i would like the option of some light sometimes but if i'm doing GT silver, the black roof just looks goofy!
Couldn't disagree more. I get loads of compliments on the way mine looks.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

i was really agonizing on the glass sunroof because i feel like i would like the option of some light sometimes but if i'm doing GT silver, the black roof just looks goofy!
I agree - I like the idea of the extra light in the interior, but the looks from the exterior just don't do it for me.
Also, yesterday I drove a C2s with the glass roof. I felt there was more wind/tire/outside noise coming through the glass roof compared to a metal roof - anyone else notice this?

Love your build otherwise!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Couldn't disagree more. I get loads of compliments on the way mine looks.
Can't say I'm a bit surprised. It's a killer.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:56 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

ok, just J's avatar sold me. sent in my final build avec le glass sunroof. removing the option for natural light is just too drastic of a change for me. i was really surprised how well shaded the shade was...i would guess that its a 3% transmittance? maybe less? the real neat thing is that this car is kind of like a throwback to my first car, a final generation 1998 eagle talon. silver (with a black roof) and a manual as well. maybe not as technologically advanced but it was still a fun little car. i've put less thought into designs for buildings than i have with this car. i've been building since mid november so thats almost 6 months of farting around trying to nail it down. thanks again everyone for being a good sounding board. i think i wanted the sunroof all along but was trying to convince myself to simplify things. i would definitely regret it down the road. i'll save the "no sunroof" for the GT3RS if it ever comes
Old 04-07-2014, 05:14 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 184 Posts

ok, just J's avatar sold me. sent in my final build avec le glass sunroof. removing the option for natural light is just too drastic of a change for me. i was really surprised how well shaded the shade was...i would guess that its a 3% transmittance? maybe less? the real neat thing is that this car is kind of like a throwback to my first car, a final generation 1998 eagle talon. silver (with a black roof) and a manual as well
I really believe you'll be very happy with it. The fact that it is 3 roofs in one (Nearly opaque, moderately tinted, and open) provides a bit of versatility. And, from a styling perspective, the roof ties nicely to other black bits (like the tires and, in your case, the headlights and interior), helping pull everything together visually.

Good luck with the car! You're about to enter the hardest phase of all - the wait for delivery.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Just J
I really believe you'll be very happy with it. The fact that it is 3 roofs in one (Nearly opaque, moderately tinted, and open) provides a bit of versatility. And, from a styling perspective, the roof ties nicely to other black bits (like the tires and, in your case, the headlights and interior), helping pull everything together visually.

Good luck with the car! You're about to enter the hardest phase of all - the wait for delivery.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great build, and agree that you'll be happy with the glass roof. I think it'll look really sweet on GT Silver, and I think you'll appreciate the natural light that it lets into the cabin.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

i shall call her the leather express...
You can't call her that unless you also include this (see below) option!

Congratulations on your custom order!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by sportscentury
GT Silver, 7MT, PSE -- just awesome! And I'm with you on skipping the sport chrono.
Great choices. Congrats. Look forward to the pictures this summer.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
You can't call her that unless you also include this (see below) option!

Congratulations on your custom order!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

!!!! i never saw this!!!!!!! oh well its too late...i would probably destroy these with my Tods lol
Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

!!!! i never saw this!!!!!!! oh well its too late...i would probably destroy these with my Tods lol
Skip the Tods. Wear these when you drive. You'll have no problem with the leather door sills!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Skip the Tods. Wear these when you drive. You'll have no problem with the leather door sills!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Where do you find this stuff?!? It looks like one of my daughters Sesame Street characters lol

Quick Reply: locked and loaded...