Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheelchair adaptions (hand controls)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 05:18 PM
mrwheels
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheelchair adaptions (hand controls)

Hello folks,

Thought I’d share some pics to illustrate modifications to a 991 in order to be driven with hand controls. For background, my legs don’t work due to a spinal injury (neck) and I have poor balance (no stomach muscle etc). Anyway I have been driving with hand controls for 15+ years and have had a number of 991 911s. I thought I’d share some information in case there were any other folks out there looking into getting this type of adaption done for a 991. I learned most of these by mistakes so...

1) Avoid the comfort entry package. This causes the steering column to move as the steering wheel in effect retracts into the dash to give more space to get in and out of the car. Given that the hand controls rods are bolted to the steering column this is a non-starter as the movement with cause either the motor to burn out or the rods to bend/brake. However if you absolutely must get this feature, as in you are buying a stock or second hand car then take the fuse out that controls the motor whilst the steering wheel is in the correct position. My first 991 was a showroom car and it had this option so I learned the hard way!

2) Seats. For me (spinal injury - neck), I have poor balance and find that the bucket, sport style seats are better, (I have had all versions of the seats available for a 991). The transfer in is tougher but you are better planted. I haven’t found any kind of harness system available for normal seats (not talking approved for track).

3) Boot. I can’t fit the main part of my wheelchair in the front boot (I know some folks can), so I put my chair either on the passenger seat or in the back seats (frame on one side wheels on the other).

4) Track. I find that my legs move around at higher speeds and G-forces so I had a pedal guard built (shown in the pics). For me this is essential on the track. It allows me to put my legs in a different position from how I would normally drive and stops my knees coming up near the steering wheel when cornering at higher speeds. It also removes the risk of my feet moving onto a pedal.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Last thing... PDK is amazing from my perspective (I can’t drive a manual car with hand controls)

Hope this information is useful.
Attached Images   
The following 3 users liked this post by mrwheels:
991Targa4S (09-11-2022), BA73 (06-25-2023), LooseNut (09-10-2022)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 PM
mrwheels
AutoX

Default The car

The car these controls are on
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by mrwheels:
991Targa4S (09-11-2022), BA73 (06-25-2023)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Love your perserverance. Beautiful car.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:30 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you live in a beautiful place with a lot of yummy b-roads! props for tracking that beauty and not letting injuries take away your spirit!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow - you sir are awesome. Nicely done. I broke my 4th cervical vertebrae in 3 places in a youthful motoring accident. Had a head/neck brace drilled into the bone of my skull for a while, posters on the ceiling of the hospital.. attached to a pulley system and rotated like on a spit.. but was very fortunate and was able to have things fused together again. Your mods are just amazing. Thank you for sharing this. ps gorgeous car!!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:41 PM
mrwheels
AutoX

Thanks for the kind comments. Feels a bit cheesy saying it but cars are one of the things in life that you go that extra mile to make it work, from a wheelchair perspective driving is amazingly liberating, and driving great cars quickly on a track… well :-)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:51 PM
mrwheels
AutoX

@991999R

The place where the full view of the car was taken is Elan Valley

http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/

I think you can see from the tyre marks on the road what tends to happen there.

@ Nicoli35

Yep, remember the ceilings well in the spinal ward. Turning every three hours is not conducive to a solid nights sleep! And when I came round finding the halo/brace thing in my skull… well was convinced I woke up in the dark age!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Bravo! Glad you are able to enjoy that beautiful car!

Silly question for you...never really thought about this until seeing the interior pictures...on right hand drive cars is the Porsche ignition opposite from traditional placement as it is on the left hand drive cars?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Kirk-WingMan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty damn inspirational all round really! Great car - beautiful scenery.

If you must have wheels in your life, might as well make the second set some of the best on earth! ;-)
Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 PM
mrwheels
AutoX

Yep, on other cars I have had it has always tended to be on the left (BMW etc), but the 991 is different. Is a bit awkward when you start, pressing down on the brake. With hand controls that means pushing away from you with your right hand and leaning over with your left to turn the key, (accelerating is the opposite, you pull towards yourself).
Old 04-05-2014, 12:02 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

This is really great info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 AM
genxr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, great looking 991 and thanks for posting your setup!

My Mom had the same setup in her red Camaro. I assume they're still mechanically tied to the brake and accelerator? With the electronics today, I bet they could do a drive by wire system.

People were sometimes curious why Mom chose a Camaro instead of a "more practical" Honda or Toyota. What they failed to understand was that, aside from Mom being a total gearhead who wouldn't be caught dead in a Honda, the low ground clearance on a sports car like a Camaro (or Porsche) was ideal for making transfers.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:43 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Man that area sure looks beautiful and FUN to drive! Thanks for sharing that and a cyber high five for your great taste in cars!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story, kudos to you and your persevering love of cars and driving! Beautiful car.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Wow! Your thread made my day! Shows that 911's attract folks who get **** done! Very cool!

Quick Reply: Wheelchair adaptions (hand controls)