Wheelchair adaptions (hand controls)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 12:55 PM
LooseNut
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hand controls in a Porsche

Reviving an old thread.
@mrwheels Thanks for the post about your hand controlled 911.

I added hand controls to my 2021 Cayman GT4 PDK. My spinal cord injury is at the 5th & 6th cervical vertebrae which means no function from my chest down. My arms and hands are affected also so my medical diagnosis is quadriplegia.

The hand control I use has a direct linkage to the brake pedal. You push forward on the handle to apply the brakes.
Acceleration is done by rotating the handle clockwise. Brake and accel can be at the same time for things like launch control or other spirited driving. The accel function is by wire so when the hand control is active the pedal on the floor does not function. This can be switched with the push of a button.
Similar to the OP I use a device on the steering wheel to make one hand operation easier. (Not shown in this picture.)

Veigel eClassic hand control. Push forward for braking. Rotate handle clockwise for acceleration.

To stabilize my upper body I do have a harness attached to the seat frame. This is not for safety purposes. I still wear the seatbelt in addition to this harness.
Because this holds me snug to the seat I can use more of my arm and shoulder function / strength to drive.
Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Torso harness to support my upper body. (Not a safety device)

I've been in a wheelchair for 25 years, feel free to ask any questions about my car or me. I appreciate seeing how others have adapted their vehicles. Hopefully showing my setup can give others an idea of what is possible.
The following 3 users liked this post by LooseNut:
BA73 (06-25-2023), Graufuchs (09-10-2022), Speed2k (09-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Wheelchair adaptions (hand controls)