Sponsored by:

instrument cluster legend

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default instrument cluster legend

Any one got a legend to this info screen? What is the meaning of all the bars red, blue, white
Thanks

Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 177 Posts

White is current measurement.

Red is bad (too high or too low).

Blue is cold (e.g., not yet warmed up, best to take it easy).

At least, that's how I would read that.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 PM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by Just J

Red is bad (too high or too low).

Blue is cold (e.g., not yet warmed up, best to take it easy).
why red and blue bars show for the same parameter?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
why red and blue bars show for the same parameter?
They're just indicating the ranges in question. Some parameters like temperature have red zones for "Too hot to continue driving" and blue zones for "Temperature is normal but it's still too cold to jump on it." Other parameters like oil pressure are considered dangerously out of range at both ends of the scale, so both of their bars are red.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:46 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think red means danger. In the cases of the top two temperatures, too low doesn't really indicate any danger, so that's why blue is used. It means cold in that case, which isn't bad.

Red also means beef if it's a bullion cube.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:52 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Slight tangent.

My 2013 June build C2S water temp rises to 194 F. and stays there indefinitely.

How about everyone else?

My oil temp usually stays around 192 - 210 F at the most.

I realize the water temp is just the idiot temp and stays there for peace of mind. Honestly wish it read an actual live temp at all times but it goes there and stays so not to worry us.

Just curious as to what others are reading? I noticed a couple others staying at 196 water temp.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:40 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcusG
I realize the water temp is just the idiot temp and stays there for peace of mind. Honestly wish it read an actual live temp at all times but it goes there and stays so not to worry us. Just curious as to what others are reading? I noticed a couple others staying at 196 water temp.
194F on my 981BS too. Annoying...
Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battery voltage is a bit boring. It's possible to configure these to other values - I have height above sea level instead of voltage for example.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:10 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen the oil temp push 250f on steep inclines under heavy throttle. 220f is more common when pushing it. I typically float around until the oil temp hits 190f that is the white bar I watch. Now i am reading here that the coolant reading is not actual?
Old 03-29-2014, 03:20 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG

I realize the water temp is just the idiot temp and stays there for peace of mind. Honestly wish it read an actual live temp at all times but it goes there and stays so not to worry us.
Why do you think its not the actual temp reading?

Coolant temp tends to stabilize because it is thermostatically regulated with a huge overhead cooling capacity. Oil temp stabilizes as well, but because oils primary function is lubrication not cooling its temperature is secondary to pressure, and so allowed greater variance. All these gauges display accurate live readings. They are not idiot lights.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:53 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Why do you think its not the actual temp reading? Coolant temp tends to stabilize because it is thermostatically regulated with a huge overhead cooling capacity. Oil temp stabilizes as well, but because oils primary function is lubrication not cooling its temperature is secondary to pressure, and so allowed greater variance. All these gauges display accurate live readings.
Not in the 981's case, per the Boxster Service Information Book. Looks like the 991 instrumentation works the same way. The 194F reading is just a meaningless placeholder indicating normal operating temperature.

The correct oil temp is displayed at all times, as I understand it.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Zohan
Racer

Water boils at 212f / Oil boils at + -400f at STP -sea laver / 14.5 psi. (Fluids in the engine are at higher pressures => will boil at higher temp.) antifreeze is a water / ethylene glycol mix - got higher boiling and lower freezing points.
Obviously the fluids should stay blow boiling temperatures as pressures are greatly increased above boiling point.
In a water cooled engines thermostat opens at around 190f sending coolant to to the radiator. This is what keeps water temp constant.

Some cars have oil / transmission fluid cooling system. In some cars oils is cooled from the coolant in the engine block. Coz oil temperature in 991 not very stable I don't think there is a oil cooling system in 991 engine.

Last edited by Zohan; 03-29-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 AM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
They're just indicating the ranges in question. Some parameters like temperature have red zones for "Too hot to continue driving" and blue zones for "Temperature is normal but it's still too cold to jump on it." Other parameters like oil pressure are considered dangerously out of range at both ends of the scale, so both of their bars are red.
I guess I am confused because the red and blue bar values change as engine worms up. You would think that normal operating renege would be constant
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
I guess I am confused because the red and blue bar values change as engine worms up. You would think that normal operating renege would be constant

It could be that the graphs are having they're scales adjusted. Just to pull some numbers of of thin air for the purposes of illustration, let's say this is the oil temp situation when cold:

Code:
+-50*    +-150*  +-250*    +-350*
|        |       |         |
|--Blue--|       |---Red---|
And this is the situation when warmed up
Code:
+-120*                 +-250*
|                      |
|-B-|                  |-R-|                                                     
    |                      |
    +-150*                 +-280*
This way, they have effectively "zoomed in" on the optimum operating temp range of 150-250 to give the indication better precision between those values.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Zohan
Racer

Donnoo, maybe u are right. this info should be in a owners manual

Quick Reply: instrument cluster legend