Sponsored by:

instrument cluster legend

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Red also means beef if it's a bullion cube.
Brilliant. Fricking hilarious.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
Battery voltage is a bit boring. It's possible to configure these to other values - I have height above sea level instead of voltage for example.
Yes. You can change the order, and info being displayed. Many metrics to select from. All can be changed and accessed through vehicle settings. You can even elect to leave lines blank. Max is 4 lines of info.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:42 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the temps on the red and blue areas actually change? That seems wrong.
the coolant temp is not actual? That seems wrong as well.
I am not saying that is not the way it is, but it does not seem to serve any logical purpose.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:19 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

You've got me. Its bullion cubes, right down the line.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is brilliant, throw a few bullion cubes in to your cooling system, meat, some verges... go for a short drive and red bar tells you when the soup is ready.

And the blue bar is for dis distilling vodka? ja das ist gut
Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Water temp stays at 194F while oil changes up to 215F ish...
Old 03-29-2014, 02:26 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

My water temp usually settles to 200 as well as the oil, but I've seen slight variations. This is the first I've heard of them being "fake" values. Also, it takes WAY longer for my oil to get to temp, and it never exceeds the water temp by the amounts in the OP. I haven't tracked it on a hot day or anything though.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Okay, lotta people not getting this so here goes.
Water cooled systems have massive excess cooling capacity designed in to allow the car to be driven flat out across Death Valley with air conditioner blasting away and still keep both you and the motor comfortably within ideal operating temperature. Vast majority of the time though you're not doing this, so they install a thermostatically controlled valve to avoid excess cooling by limiting coolant flow. I'm sure everyone knows this, or the general idea at least, and just finds it hard to believe the system works so well. But it does. In fact you can do 350 miles at 90 mph, summer or winter, your ribs will be cooked to perfection. Just be sure the tinfoil is sealed tightly first.

Last edited by chuck911; 03-29-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: sorry that was ribs not lasagna
Old 03-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Zohan
Racer

This is a pic of my car at operating temp
Old 03-29-2014, 03:34 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
This is a pic of my car at operating temp
Those are pretty much my numbers too.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:49 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
Water boils at 212f / Oil boils at + -400f at STP -sea laver / 14.5 psi. (Fluids in the engine are at higher pressures => will boil at higher temp.) antifreeze is a water / ethylene glycol mix - got higher boiling and lower freezing points.
Obviously the fluids should stay blow boiling temperatures as pressures are greatly increased above boiling point.
In a water cooled engines thermostat opens at around 190f sending coolant to to the radiator. This is what keeps water temp constant.

Some cars have oil / transmission fluid cooling system. In some cars oils is cooled from the coolant in the engine block. Coz oil temperature in 991 not very stable I don't think there is a oil cooling system in 991 engine.
The 991 S (and I suspect the 991) has a oil-to-water intercooler mounted high on the engine. It opens via a thermostat or at the push of the Sport button on the console. You can see the effect in "just cruising" situations when you push the sport button- the oil temp drops a fair amount. (I guess that is programmed in anticipation of heavy foot to follow the button push).
Old 03-29-2014, 03:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Water cooled systems have massive excess cooling capacity designed in to allow the car to be driven flat out across Death Valley with air conditioner blasting away and still keep both you and the motor comfortably within ideal operating temperature. Vast majority of the time though you're not doing this, so they install a thermostatically controlled valve to avoid excess cooling by limiting coolant flow. I'm sure everyone knows this, or the general idea at least, and just finds it hard to believe the system works so well. But it does. In fact you can do 350 miles at 90 mph, summer or winter, your ribs will be cooked to perfection. Just be sure the tinfoil is sealed tightly first.
It is way too much trouble to cook ribs in a 991. You have to remove the plastic engine cover and fans before and after. Even if you go to the trouble, the smoke gets in through the sound symposer tube so you have to keep the windows open and the mirrors cause buffeting so you have to keep the sunroof popped.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Zohan
Racer

GT3 engine more suited for barbecuing
And don't forget Mobil1 french fries

Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

No real-world control system works like this, though. With no overshoot at all, the system would take a long time to return to its setpoint in the event of sudden increased demand for cooling. There will be some overshoot -- at least a degree or two! -- but we aren't allowed to watch it happen for some reason. The 194F number on the gauge is completely arbitrary.

Porsche's own literature says as much, but it doesn't say why they did it that way.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
It is way too much trouble to cook ribs in a 991. You have to remove the plastic engine cover and fans before and after. Even if you go to the trouble, the smoke gets in through the sound symposer tube so you have to keep the windows open and the mirrors cause buffeting so you have to keep the sunroof popped.
Well obviously when doing ribs your first step, before the dry rub, before even removing the silverskin, is convert to downdraft Webers.

The carbs, that is, not the grill….

Quick Reply: instrument cluster legend