Sponsored by:

Rollbar and seats installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Quick question: It bolts into existing mounts, correct? No drilling required, or installation of new mounts. You only need to make cuts into the carpet, right?Thanks!
That's correct, Mister.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
That's correct, Mister.
Thanks Tim! Now get that GT3 already!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe a dumb question...do the rear seats need to be removed?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 189 Posts

Cool! Thanks! Are you hitting Watkins this summer?
Yep--probably late July with Reisentoter.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Quick question: It bolts into existing mounts, correct? No drilling required, or installation of new mounts. You only need to make cuts into the carpet, right?Thanks!
I'm fairly certain it bolts straight into the existing mounts. Certainly for the side seatbelt mounting location. Should be the same case for the rear suspension top mounts. My shop did a great job with it. The idea was for it to be a fully reversible solution when I turn the car back in.

Despite it being bolt-in and a custom design for the 991 chassis, though, I don't think it's a job to try by yourself. It took the owner of my local shop, who has years and years of Porsche race prep experience, and his lead technician (Porsche gold-level master tech) hours to get it installed. They had it in and out of the car three times, grinding/filing/adjusting to get it perfect. But it is indeed perfect now. Based on the response from GMG's Jerry above, they're working on slight modifications to the design to make it an easier installation.

In any case, I gave my shop owner three suggested options for bolt-in rollbars for my 991, and he recommended GMG without hesitation. He said, in his experience, they make super-high quality safety and performance equipment. Based on my research, I was leaning toward GMG as well, so I was glad he verified my thoughts.

While I'm at it, plug for my shop TKX Performance on Long Island. Taso the owner is fantastic, and now with the addition of super-tech Thomas Moehringer, going to them for work is a done deal:
http://tkxperformance.com
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I'm fairly certain it bolts straight into the existing mounts. Certainly for the side seatbelt mounting location. Should be the same case for the rear suspension top mounts. My shop did a great job with it. The idea was for it to be a fully reversible solution when I turn the car back in. Despite it being bolt-in and a custom design for the 991 chassis, though, I don't think it's a job to try by yourself. It took the owner of my local shop, who has years and years of Porsche race prep experience, and his lead technician (Porsche gold-level master tech) hours to get it installed. They had it in and out of the car three times, grinding/filing/adjusting to get it perfect. But it is indeed perfect now. Based on the response from GMG's Jerry above, they're working on slight modifications to the design to make it an easier installation. In any case, I gave my shop owner three suggested options for bolt-in rollbars for my 991, and he recommended GMG without hesitation. He said, in his experience, they make super-high quality safety and performance equipment. Based on my research, I was leaning toward GMG as well, so I was glad he verified my thoughts. While I'm at it, plug for my shop TKX Performance on Long Island. Taso the owner is fantastic, and now with the addition of super-tech Thomas Moehringer, going to them for work is a done deal: http://tkxperformance.com
Awesome! Thank you for the detailed info! Much appreciated. I was originally going with BBI, but I think I'll go with GMG as well. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:12 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
OP, I have the same halo seats in my race / de / street car, there are seats with removable halo pieces but I was surprised at how they did not bother on street driving.

Served me well when I crashed
Yep--they've been fine so far on the street. Glad to know they served you well.

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Maybe a dumb question...do the rear seats need to be removed?
Not a dumb question. They don't have to be removed, but obviously they're no longer functional for kid hauling once the rollbar is in. With the bar installed, the rear seatbacks have to be in their folded-forward, shelf configuration, so I just removed the seatbacks to create more room. I left the seat cushions and rear seatbelts in place since I'll eventually convert back. Another advantage of removing the rear seatbacks is the exposure of a center metal bracket that I used for the hard-mounting of my RaceKeeper main data acquisition unit.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Awesome! Thank you for the detailed info! Much appreciated. I was originally going with BBI, but I think I'll go with GMG as well. Thanks!
I'm on Long Island, just outside of the city--open invitation for you to see the car yourself if you're ever in the neighborhood.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I'm on Long Island, just outside of the city--open invitation for you to see the car yourself if you're ever in the neighborhood.
Thanks man! I'm in NYC a lot, maybe I'll swing by and check it out. Much appreciated! Otherwise I'll catch up with you at Watkins.

Quick Reply: Rollbar and seats installed