Sponsored by:

New 911, ignition key won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 911, ignition key won't come out

Battery is fine, the only way I can get the ignition key out is when I turn it to off and use the reset tool that is in the fuse box cover. I tried jiggling it, turning the wheel etc. no luck. Reset tool frees it right out when I push the metal hook A into opening C as detailed in page 76 of the owners manual:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...rrera_PCNA.pdf

My other problem is that when I put my top back up the side window and rear side window have to be manually raised.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out? I tried searching and I found other threads of different models with no solutions.

Also

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

ummm... thats a 997 manual
Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Sorry, I'm having trouble locating an electronic copy of the 991 owners manual. If you have one please post it. I was attempting to be helpful.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you stopped by your dealer to have them take a look? With it being under warranty still I would recommend just having them check those two issues out.

Stupid questions:
1) Are you turning the key all the way as far as it will turn to the off position?
2) Have you tried the spare key to see if it happens with that, too?
3) Do all the buttons on the remote work such that you're sure the remote battery is OK?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 PM
jlanka
Drifting

is it the silver key fob that comes with entry and drive? Or the plastic key fob that has the lock/unlock buttons on it?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:45 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Figured it out...

I must be "challenged" mentally... You guys are probably wondering how the hell I got a Porsche...

I was using this strange piece of plastic I don't even know what it is, there is nothing on it but it starts the car. The regular key with the unlock buttons work fine. It looks much bigger than the regular unlock button key... a bit wider so I thought the regular key didn't fit but it does. I was thinking that you had to have the key nearby and use that. Sorry I'm not up on these modern cars. On my wife's she just pushes a button and never takes her key out of her purse so I guess I'm off. Never mind...

Here is a link to the picture of the key. I'm still not sure of the purpose.

Something about Porsche Entry & Drive there is a hard plastic blank key. I thought this stayed there so it was keyless. Should I just leave it in the car at all times and have the actual key in my pocket? Seems better to leave it in the car, but does it drain the battery etc.?

jlanka your question made me realize it thanks to both of you guys.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:06 PM
jlanka
Drifting

I have the same thing (except mine is silver color) with entry and drive. I just leave it in the ignition permanently, it doesn't drain the battery. I admit it is very difficult to remove.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,924 Likes on 5,198 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAnswer
Figured it out...

I must be "challenged" mentally... You guys are probably wondering how the hell I got a Porsche...

I was using this strange piece of plastic I don't even know what it is, there is nothing on it but it starts the car. The regular key with the unlock buttons work fine. It looks much bigger than the regular unlock button key... a bit wider so I thought the regular key didn't fit but it does. I was thinking that you had to have the key nearby and use that. Sorry I'm not up on these modern cars. On my wife's she just pushes a button and never takes her key out of her purse so I guess I'm off. Never mind...

Here is a link to the picture of the key. I'm still not sure of the purpose.

Something about Porsche Entry & Drive there is a hard plastic blank key. I thought this stayed there so it was keyless. Should I just leave it in the car at all times and have the actual key in my pocket? Seems better to leave it in the car, but does it drain the battery etc.?

jlanka your question made me realize it thanks to both of you guys.
I think you should think about changing your Rennlist handle.

There may be non-native English speakers here who will be confused.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:13 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

I got the answer didn't I? haha That's what its all about. Thanks, I'll probably leave it in the ignition because I'm going to attach other keys to it and don't want them dangling all around. That's likely the purpose. Mine is also silver, that is a pic some other guy took I found.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,924 Likes on 5,198 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAnswer
I got the answer didn't I? haha That's what its all about. Thanks, I'll probably leave it in the ignition because I'm going to attach other keys to it and don't want them dangling all around. That's likely the purpose. Mine is also silver, that is a pic some other guy took I found.
Here's an online tutorial guide for your 991. Drive safely.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...nual/ext/home/
Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Its not a key TA, the key is in your pocket. The plastic thing, you can think of it as a key if you want, it works like a key in that you turn it to start the car. But really its just a handle or ****, and useless without the real key being in the car with you.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't have the E&D option, but wouldn't the thief think you left the key with the car?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:01 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes, you have Entry and Drive.
Basically if you have the key in your pocket, your doors will unlock by you simply touching the door handle. (To lock your doors, press the tiny button on the door handle).

To open the frunk, simply place (or hover) your hand a few inches under the Porsche emblem and it pops open after a second.

Do not wash your car with you key in your pocket, as the frunk will pop open every time you hose it down. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

All of the above functions still work even if you remove the cheap piece of plastic (also known as a dummy key).
Old 03-21-2014, 03:32 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have entry and drive but wouldn't one of the functions be to turn the key to the intermediate positions to use the radio without starting car ect.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:37 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I don't have the E&D option, but wouldn't the thief think you left the key with the car?
doesn't matter. Won't run without the real key

Quick Reply: New 911, ignition key won't come out