Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The gt3 'Stop Drive' will create 991 'loaners' available soon at discount!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default The gt3 'Stop Drive' will create 991 'loaners' available soon at discount!

As the result of the unprecedented worldwide 'stop sale' & 'stop drive' edict from Porsche for their recently released MY2014 991 gt3, PAG has instructed their dealers to provide owners of just delivered gt3's with 991 'loaners' to drive while their cars await a final 'fix'. Most of these 'loaners' are brand new Porsches from dealer's stock and are likely going to be 991's! As it stands at the beginning of this week, Porsche will replace the motors on all 991 gt3's as soon as they have finalized the corrective specs for the new power plant. The total process could take a month...or more! The company has not yet committed to a definite time line. But the bottom line is that within a relatively short period of time (e.g. months), these low mileage 991's and other Porsche that were on 'loan' to 991 gt3 owners, will be available for sale at your local dealer!

Since PAG has instructed their dealers to make these cars available to the disaffected gt3 owners, they will surely give them 'trunk money' (a cash incentive) on each of these 'loaners' to facilitate their final sale to the end buyer. And that means a substantial discount to you the prospective buyer! Perhaps you might have to put up with the warranties on these cars already 'punched' as the in-service date when they become 'loaners', which might mean you might lose a few months of the full 4 year warranty in the US! But the discount might be good enough for this not to be a concern to most of you! And the good thing about this unusual 'loaner' event' is that these are not going to be low optioned cars or undesirable colors! The gt3 folks that paid $135K+ for their vehicles & are putting up with this inconvenience are not going to be pushed into unattractive specs on their 991 'loaners'...not even for a few months!

It has been reported over at the Rennlist 991 gt3 & Rennteam forums that the list of 'loaners' have included 991 Turbos, 50th Anniversary Editions and assorted new 991's. Most of the latter are 'S' or '4S' models. It all depends on the status of the client and his clout with the dealership where he/she bought the gt3! So there might be some interesting buys in the lot when these are 'loaners' are returned & put up for sale.

Porsche has noted that just under 800 MY2014 991 gt3's were delivered to customers before their 'stop sale'. Many have assume that a good number of those (200+) have been delivered in the US by PCNA! Not all gt3 owners have asked for or been given 'loaners'. So we really don't know YET the total scale of the number of vehicles involved as 'loaners' or the specific number of these vehicles for each Porsche market. So it's just a heads' up in case some of these 'loaners', once returned by these gt3 owners, might be of interest to you at a discounted price! This might be one of the most interesting consequences of the current 991 gt3 debacle...and it might be a chance to profit from this otherwise unfortunate turn of events!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS If you want more details (and have time to 'burn'), I suggest you read nearly 3000 postings at the following 'Stop Sale' thread. It has had almost 225K views to date!
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...stop-sale.html

Photo below courtesy of Rennlister JasonAndreas. It shows brand new 991 gt3's recently off-loaded from container ships currently 'parked' at one of Porsche's US entry ports (this one being in Davisville, Rhode Island) pending resolution of 'Stop Sale'!
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 AM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Something tells me that break-in procedures won't be followed closely on such loaners, if one cares about such things. I know that if I were a frustrated 991 GT3 owner, I might drive the loaner like I stole it. But this could create an interesting opportunity for the right person.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want the guy who stole the wheel cover in the middle caught!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:06 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
Something tells me that break-in procedures won't be followed closely on such loaners, if one cares about such things. I know that if I were a frustrated 991 GT3 owner, I might drive the loaner like I stole it. But this could create an interesting opportunity for the right person.
Exactly right.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be interested in buying a pissed off GT3 owner's "rental" car that beat the crap out of since it wasn't his, while his GT3 was getting fixed.

Chances are all these cars will not only NOT be broken in correctly, and will also have the **** beat out of them.

With Porsche's build quality on the 991 not being so hot so far, I'd never buy one of these 991 GT3 owner rentals AKA future headache.

Pass.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 227 Posts

Will watch this space closely...
Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM
mas8002mi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I get a loaner I do tend to beat the hell out of it.
Imagine a frustrated GT3 owner!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

while, I dont disagree w/ you Ed, i think the 200 or so affected cars in the US is prob not meaningful. Furthermore the dealer pricing power is so strong that I dont see much of an impact.

However I think we'll be seeing a lot more new 991s at the Track this season!

Last edited by kosmo; 03-19-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I was hoping for the opposite. Pissed off GT3 owners who won't take a car with mismatched numbers causing a firesale on lightly used GT3s with new engines.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
With Porsche's build quality on the 991 not being so hot so far
Huh? They're at the top of JDPowers list for being trouble free, and on this forum the praise far outweighs the issues.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Yeah, I'll pass, at any price.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I don't think I'd be interested in buying a pissed off GT3 owner's "rental" car that beat the crap out of since it wasn't his, while his GT3 was getting fixed. Chances are all these cars will not only NOT be broken in correctly, and will also have the **** beat out of them.
Originally Posted by mas8002mi
when I get a loaner I do tend to beat the hell out of it. Imagine a frustrated GT3 owner!
Most gt3 owners will respect their cars and treat them better than 99% of the public. If some of these loaners are manuals, you can check the ECU for over-revs. No different from buying any used Porsche...but agreed its not suitable for all potential new buyers of MY2014 Porsches.

Originally Posted by kosmo
while, I dont disagree w/ you Ed, i think the 200 or so affected cars in the US is prob not meaningful. Furthermore the dealer pricing power is so strong that I dont see much of an impact.
Supply & demand is having an impact already. There is a lot of discounting going on right now on 'new' 991's, regardless this 'loaner' situation. These loaners add to 'supply' and will have an effect.

By the way, it was reported yesterday that the total number of gt3's affected in the US is 408 (sold or destined for US), a larger number than most of us anticipated! So there is potentially 408 'loaners' that might materialize in this market.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/18/auto...ace/index.html

Originally Posted by mattyf
I was hoping for the opposite. Pissed off GT3 owners who won't take a car with mismatched numbers causing a firesale on lightly used GT3s with new engines.
Many will give up their MY2014 gt3's. These will be available (and with new engines & extended warranties) to new owners. Some will not have been yet delivered. Others will have been already delivered & returned with miles for 'their money back'. There will be deals in these too (case by case basis)...but that was not the subject of my thread for this particular forum.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

These will go similarly to a demo car that the sales manager drove around for a couple of months. In fact I know of one locally that is just that. I guess the sales manager has to drive his own car for a while or taker a "lesser" Porsche.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:31 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mas8002mi
when I get a loaner I do tend to beat the hell out of it.
Imagine a frustrated GT3 owner!
And all these frustratingly thrashed from new " take THAT Porsche ! " loaners will end up back at dealers later in the model year as low miles " Porsche brass hat company cars " avail for " smokin ' " deals . They have done this for years with company , journalist test pool and buy back cars. All brands do this.

They will all sell, but no one who reads threads like these will want to touch a 2014 911 offered this way.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:32 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Came across a story with similar overtones last week on the interwebz: Seems a bunch of Cadillac V cars showed up for sale at a Florida independent all with low mileage and salvage titles for about 30% off retail price.
Someone did some research on a couple of the VIN's, and they had all been used by Cadillac for V-car driving events, so brand new cars with low mileage, but apparently thrashed enough that Caddy wanted to rid themselves of them without warranties.
That's an exception, for the most part, most manufacturers sell their program cars, including Porsche.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great.

Quick Reply: The gt3 'Stop Drive' will create 991 'loaners' available soon at discount!