Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The gt3 'Stop Drive' will create 991 'loaners' available soon at discount!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Came across a story with similar overtones last week on the interwebz: Seems a bunch of Cadillac V cars showed up for sale at a Florida independent all with low mileage and salvage titles for about 30% off retail price.
That makes ZERO sense or cents.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
That makes ZERO sense or cents.
Nope...true story as there's probably +15 CTS-V's on their lot:

There's a bunch for sale on Autotrader.com right now:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...67732506&Log=0

www.casmiami.com
Old 03-20-2014, 12:02 PM
drandall
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Came across a story with similar overtones last week on the interwebz: Seems a bunch of Cadillac V cars showed up for sale at a Florida independent all with low mileage and salvage titles for about 30% off retail price.
Someone did some research on a couple of the VIN's, and they had all been used by Cadillac for V-car driving events, so brand new cars with low mileage, but apparently thrashed enough that Caddy wanted to rid themselves of them without warranties.
That's an exception, for the most part, most manufacturers sell their program cars, including Porsche.
I participated in one of the V Driving Experiences at a race track. We were encouraged to drive hard. Before we headed to the cars, the program manager told us "remember, these are not your cars, not your tires, and not your brakes...go have fun."

I was wondering where these cars would end up. Mostly automatics, but there were a few manual transmissions, including a V wagon that I drove.

Perhaps this is the fate of press pool cars as well?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:26 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Exactly right.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be interested in buying a pissed off GT3 owner's "rental" car that beat the crap out of since it wasn't his, while his GT3 was getting fixed.

Chances are all these cars will not only NOT be broken in correctly, and will also have the **** beat out of them.

With Porsche's build quality on the 991 not being so hot so far, I'd never buy one of these 991 GT3 owner rentals AKA future headache.

Pass.
Break in on modern engines with modern oil is vastly over rated. I'm sure many of these will be CPO's anyway. If you had well over 5 years and basically unlimited mileage to thrash it knowing it would be fixed, would you really be worried that it might drop a valve at 150,000 miles instead of 180,000 miles?

I'd take a used 911 that was driven to redline inside 2000 miles any day over one that was broken in "properly" but thrashed after that before it was adequately warmed up. All day, any day.

Not to mention I doubt there is a single lease return 911 in the world that strictly adhered to the break in hype protocol. As in not a single one anywhere. And even most pre owned 911's being resold (CPO or not) didn't follow it. They sell a lot of 911's, and if anyone thinks they are all putting around under 4000 RPM for 2000 miles or whatever, you're dellusional. If you get one with 20 miles on it, it was likely thrashed around the block half a dozen times, maybe from cold crank to redline, while a prospective buyer tried to "test the power" or a sales person just took it home for the night or drove it to lunch.

If anyone is severely concerned with break in, there is one and only one way to honor that preference, and that is order new and demand a zero mile car. 99% of all cars not orderd and driven by the buyer from the first mile have not been strictly broken in.

But so what.

Oh and make sure the body is wrapped in plastic so it stays cherry!

http://neuronarrative.wordpress.com/...-couch-covers/

Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, a refund would be my first and probably only choice. If this happened to the '14 C4S we just purchased absolutely. Keeping a GT3 may be different if I had already fallen in love with it.
For that to happen PCNA would have to provide enough incentive/insurance for me to keep it. 8 year/ 100,000 miles B to B warranty and service comp may keep me in the car....maybe.
The engine change will be a permanent part of the service history which usually has a negative impact on resale price.
Feel bad for the new owners, I wouldn't want to be in that position.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

I don't think an engine change in this case will have the same negative connotation because its fleet wide. That said, I can't believe that will end up being the fix. I was thinking it was more like a seal or line too close to the exhaust or something else that could be fixed far easier than hundreds of new engines worldwide.

If it does hammer the price though, here's to some happy car hunting in a couple years!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=StudGarden;11229013]I don't think an engine change in this case will have the same negative connotation because its fleet wide. QUOTE]

Can't agree with a greater number of cars equals less impact.

The exapmle would be the used '14 GT3 shopper looking for a pristine "no-stories" example. "No service issues" versus "engine replacement" will make a difference.

Last edited by MerlinsGarage; 03-20-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=MerlinsGarage;11229402]
Originally Posted by StudGarden
I don't think an engine change in this case will have the same negative connotation because its fleet wide. QUOTE]

Can't agree with a greater number of cars equals less impact.

The exapmle would be the used '14 GT3 shopper looking for a pristine "no-stories" example. "No service issues" versus "engine replacement" will make a difference.
If the GT3 with the new engine was a one off then sure, I could see that. But if its every single one, then I don't see that hitting the rep very much if at all.

Funny thing is, many if not most will be tracked anyway. Real race cars often get new engines after every race. The used GT3 market will be a barren desert for the typical used 911 fantasy buyer looking for a plastic bubble wrapped Arizona car only driven on Sundays for 500 miles a year that never got a bug on the windshield. I just can't see a factory engine replacement being an issue. For the few out there that managed to rack up some miles before the stop drive campaign, it will actually be a huge plus for them as it resets the mileage on the engine anyway.

If I was in the market for one, I'd buy one in a second with zero regard for a new factory engine. Some of the best used 911's around anywhere are the super undervalued 996's that had factory replacement engines. I'd pay a reasonable premium for those over ones that didn't.

Quick Reply: The gt3 'Stop Drive' will create 991 'loaners' available soon at discount!