Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY 2015 Options in the online configurator

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 03:33 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The Lime Gold 991 I saw in the dealer looks 10x better than the photo of that "gold color" turbo.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
The Lime Gold 991 I saw in the dealer looks 10x better than the photo of that "gold color" turbo.
Yes that is certainly true. I actually like lime gold, but to be honest, I think it suits the 981 better than the 991. Why? I have no idea. It just seems to work better for that car.

I'm not a fan of the lime gold interior color though. The color doesn't even match with the exterior color.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
As I posted on the 981 forum, I believe this is just the start of the changes. The bigger ones will arrive when they announce MY2016 & the facelift! 'Lime Gold Metallic' for sure will hit the dust. But its one of the few exterior Porsche paints that has it's own color-coordinated leather interiors (photos 1 & 2) & distinctive stitching color thread! That whole color scheme will need to be replaced once they decide to dump this unpopular & slow-selling 'Lime Gold Metallic' hue! So that process needs time to be coordinated with all the interior part suppliers, leather vendors, stitching thread providers, etc.

Interestingly, Germany and Porsche Exclusive apparently still loves 'Lime Gold Metallic'. In fact, 'Porsche Exclusive' recently announced a special edition 991 Turbo in the colors, including parts of the interior!

http://luxurylaunches.com/transport/...-911-turbo.php

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
The Lime Gold Metallic is bad enough as an exterior color but why in the world would anyone want to bring that color to the interior of the car.

Thankfully, the Lime Gold Metallic Turbo is a one off. I doubt they could sell two of them. Other than the hideous Lime Gold inside and out, there is a lot wrong with that Turbo, IMO.

For all the money they spent on the interior, like breeding special cows that would yield "lime gold" hides, capturing the rare and nearly extinct Goldius Limebrentium silk worms to harvest the "lime gold" silk threads, they then put a black airbag cover on the steering wheel in a Agate/Lime Gold interior. Maybe that was to balance the black seat belts?!?!

Fuchs wheels - That's the best they could do for a one-off car?

OK, seriously... I agree with Suzy that Porsche has offered a very limited paint selection. PTS colors don't count because of the incremental cost to have them.

Rant over!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Twice the same post???

Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boxster S in Lime Gold with red roof

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=60084&hl=
Old 03-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Color Palette offered so far on the 991's

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Porsche should be ashamed of it's color palette anyways. IMHO it's rediculously limited for a company that claims to have one of the best paint factories in the world.
Originally Posted by gota911
I agree with Suzy that Porsche has offered a very limited paint selection.
Back in MY1970, when my special order 'Crystal Blue' 911E Targa was built, Porsche offered 9 standard colors and 21 special colors. They had just built a new paint facility at Zuffenhausen and it was the dawn of the 'Age of Aquarius'! But that didn't last long. In recent years, the regular selection has been pretty limited. Let's just see where this whole thing started when they introduced the 991 as late MY2012 in the US (see charts below). Since then, we have seen Carrara White, Platinum Silver Metallic, Aqua Blue Metallic, Ruby Red Metallic, Basalt Black Metallic and Cognac Metallic bite the dust! And Amaranth Red Metallic has come & gone. In the interim, they have added the following new colors: White (non-Carrara), Rhodium Silver Metallic, Mahogany Metallic, Sapphire Blue Metallic, Jet Black Metallic & Carrara White Metallic! From that perspective, one can make a case that Porsche has given their customers quite a bit of color choice in the 991 model in the last 24 month period! But yes, it could always be better, with a wider selection of colors available. I was in particularly shocked that on the MY2011/2012 Boxster Spyder, they only offered us SEVEN color to choose from! That was pretty bad...I admit.

PTS colors don't count towards offering because of the incremental cost to have them.
If you choose wisely your PTS color, the incremental cost is one of the best investments you can make when ordering a new Porsche! Trust me on this. Keep in mind that only four colors are n/c. All metallics are an extra $710 and the two 'Special' colors are $3,140! So even the standard offerings are not all 'cheap'.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the PTS is way over priced. Especially the PTS colors they already make. There is no reason Brewsters Green should cost over 5 grand when they already do it. Or at least have a Jet Green option for $700 since they already paint the Cayennes anyway. Its nothing short of charging you for it just becuse they can. Like someone else said, if the ducktail was standard, buyers would line up around the block to pony up 3 grand (or more) for the PASDRAS (Porsche active speed dependent rear aerodynamic system).

I would like to see other colors in the free to $700 range. Not sure they need two blacks, two browns, two silvers and two blues while not offering a green. But they will supposedly offer a second white. Not sure how different that will look unless they go a little creamy with it.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

I think the biggest problem is that the standard color palette isn't very well balanced. Even though I normally don't like green colors, it should be a standard color for the 911. One brown would be good enough, a (darkish) red metallic should be a standard color as well. I can understand why they are offering Rhodium next to GT-silver. GT is a more expensive color. A middle grey is also missing (something like Seal grey metallic). However, the demand for some colrs will probably be different in different markets.

I kinda like the way Ferrari offers 5 different palettes at various price ranges. They have standard non-metallic colors and standard metallic colors. Then they have a more expensive range called "historic colors", which would be something that suits Porsche as well IMO.
Then they have a palette of 6 model-exclusive colors and there is the very pricey "out of range"-colorpalette, like triple layer paints, etc. (compareable with Porsche's PTS).

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:30 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Twice the same post???

Duh! Yeah, I didn't realize that I had posted one before I went to bed, so I modified the original one.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Duh! Yeah, I didn't realize that I had posted one before I went to bed, so I modified the original one.
Hahaha!!

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 03-15-2014, 01:44 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes that is certainly true. I actually like lime gold, but to be honest, I think it suits the 981 better than the 991. Why? I have no idea. It just seems to work better for that car.

I'm not a fan of the lime gold interior color though. The color doesn't even match with the exterior color.
I've not actually seen one in the wild, but I think it looks better on the cabs than the coupes. But, based on photos and the configurator, I think Lime Gold Metallic would look great on a 991 TT(S) Cabriolet (not a fan of the Carrera Cab) with Black roof (to coordinate with all the other black exterior bits) and Espresso/Cognac interior. And you get a "rare" color without going PTS.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I think the PTS is way over priced. Especially the PTS colors they already make. There is no reason Brewsters Green should cost over 5 grand when they already do it. Or at least have a Jet Green option for $700 since they already paint the Cayennes anyway. Its nothing short of charging you for it just becuse they can. Like someone else said, if the ducktail was standard, buyers would line up around the block to pony up 3 grand (or more) for the PASDRAS (Porsche active speed dependent rear aerodynamic system).

I would like to see other colors in the free to $700 range. Not sure they need two blacks, two browns, two silvers and two blues while not offering a green. But they will supposedly offer a second white. Not sure how different that will look unless they go a little creamy with it.
to be fair to porsche, you'd have to fully understand their production line (i don't) to ascertain the true cost of adding PTS. the bottom line is that if you want to be unique, you're going to have to pay for it. don't forget, they are an extremely for-profit business.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
to be fair to porsche, you'd have to fully understand their production line (i don't) to ascertain the true cost of adding PTS. the bottom line is that if you want to be unique, you're going to have to pay for it. don't forget, they are an extremely for-profit business.
I get that. And I totally understand someone wanting some special made up color that Porsche would have to purge the lines and pull people off to the side to get things ready, etc. But to then charge the same as all that for a run of the mill green that they already have and already and currently do is a bit much.

There's a big difference between dropping a Rolex and a fucia necktie on the salesman's desk and saying "custom match these" versus pointing across the lot to another $700 upgrade factory green Porshce and saying "how about that one?"

Oh, well that'll be 6 grand cause its soooooo expensive to do.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Did anyone notice or mention that there is an option to paint the sideskirts on the C4(S), Targa4(S) and Turbo(S) ??

Or did I read past that???

Option XAJ $750

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Did anyone notice or mention that there is an option to paint the sideskirts on the C4(S), Targa4(S) and Turbo(S) ??

Or did I read past that???

Option XAJ $750

Suzy (via iOS app)
Good...because I didn't think the standard ones in 'Luxor Beige' looked that good! The color looked too fibrous & bland!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: MY 2015 Options in the online configurator