Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regional Porsche popularity map (US)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Spathiinc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Regional Porsche popularity map (US)

This isn't 991 specific, but I thought I'd post here anyway since it might interest some of you. I was wondering about the regional bias in preference of performance cars (non-supercars), so I did a little bit of research and punked my data into a map. I thought it interesting how Porsche popularity was almost the same for the 911, Cayman, and Boxster. Also funny how northern states have a clear preference for the BRZ over the FR-S.

Anyway, check it out. Do you think a similar breakdown of 911 models would be interesting? Who likes c4s, turbo, targa? Who likes 991 vs 997, vs 996, etc.
http://maps.google.com/gallery/detai...&hl=en

Also, does this map look reasonable to you, given your own experiences?
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2014, 05:32 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The map agrees, Subaru's are a definite road hazard here in Washington state. Also, soon as I drive any direction from Seattle there's a sharp drop off in 911 sightings. And its funny, on a long trip across Idaho and Montana the one car on the list that stood out was a Viper. Viper's incredibly popular in flyover country. But, what is "popularity"? Number of cars? Number of cars per capita? And why is Corvette the default setting?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Spathiinc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I based popularity based primarily on data I extracted from Google Trends and Google Correlate, so it's not actually based on sales or licensing figures, but general internet searching.

Not sure why I made the vette the default... I hope it's not an unconscious bias on my part!!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 173 Posts

Cool. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Pretty much follows the money!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The map agrees, Subaru's are a definite road hazard here in Washington state. Also, soon as I drive any direction from Seattle there's a sharp drop off in 911 sightings. And its funny, on a long trip across Idaho and Montana the one car on the list that stood out was a Viper. Viper's incredibly popular in flyover country. But, what is "popularity"? Number of cars? Number of cars per capita? And why is Corvette the default setting?
This map agrees with my sightings in WA

High 911=Upscale IT Bellevue/405
High BMW M3= want to be upscale yuppies
High SRT in ID/MT = Dave Smith Dealership in Kellogg,ID (racing vipers ACR)
High Subaru = "I'm an outdoors person" perception factor (98% are grocery store only)

Quick Reply: Regional Porsche popularity map (US)