Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just scratched my other car - Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Relax it could be a lot worse. Then again, it could have been a lot worse for me. my 991 is and was in the garage.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2014, 02:08 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

A really "good" body shop will be able to repair those scratches and only have to spray the door above that body line. Get quotes from no less than 3 body shops that do Rovers. Usually they do Land Rovers, Volvo's and Jags in the same shops. Don't give them your opinion on how to repair it. See if any of them propose what I said. I've spent my entire life around body shops. The ones that need business will propose respraying the entire door which in my opinion doesn't need to be done. Most of the reflection across the front fender to front door and so on will be most noticeable below that body line. Also, they will only need to match the orange peel on the top. That section is smaller in size than the bottom and you should be good. Whites are more difficult to match than you think. If the wrong shop does the work the door repair will appear white and the rest of the car will appear yellow. I only see a $500 repair. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 AM
youngwoony
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm located in Philadelphia, and willing to travel <60 miles for a good shop. What are you thinking they would need to do?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I notice you were in Philly and was editing when you responded. Now you have my entire post. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:32 AM
youngwoony
Intermediate

Thanks very much! I'll report back after visiting some shops tomorrow. Fingers crossed...
Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

no less than three opinons/estimates.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:49 AM
youngwoony
Intermediate

Sure thing! If anyone knows any of these shops, let me know of your experience:

Cavallo (Drexel Hill)
Century auto body (bala cynwyd)
Classic coachwork (main line)
Pinnacle (Philly)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by youngwoony
Sure thing! If anyone knows any of these shops, let me know of your experience: Cavallo (Drexel Hill) Century auto body (bala cynwyd) Classic coachwork (main line) Pinnacle (Philly)

Cavallo - jerks. They have a few locations. Avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM
arch7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good experiences with Century in Bala on a Range Rover. They seem very thorough. Great color match and no over spray issues.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 991 was keyed two weeks after I got it. A quality body shop I had used in the past suggested painting the whole door, etc to the tune of $600.
I thought there has to be another way. I asked around some of the folks I know who work in the exotic car world and was referred to a guy who specializes in only touch up work. He came to my office, dabbed in some clear coat on the deepest parts, then wet sanded and polished the whole scratch. It's 99% perfect, I'm the only one who can tell where it was. Not only was it only $165, I avoided the stigma of "paint work" on my new car. Ask around, the Porsche or exotic car dealer in your area probably has someone like this they use, or ask respected detailers in your area. It's definitely an alternative to traditional auto body work.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 AM
youngwoony
Intermediate

Today I visited two well-regarded auto shops that handle nice cars. Here's what each said - if anyone has any opinions regarding which shop to choose, please chime in!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Removed (Bala Cynwyd, PA): Would remove the door handle, mirror, window trim, and sand the damage area down. Then apply primer / filler to the gashes to fill them in, then spray paint & blend a small area around the damage (down to around the door handle). They would then spray clear coat on the entire door (I'm not sure if this means they would remove the entire clear coat during the process?). Quoted $400-500 and said it would be fixed like new, and that there would be no problems matching the paint colors. Duration of service would be 3 days.

2. Removed (Drexel Hill, PA): In addition to doing the above, these guys would use a metal straightener (I don't know what this is) because they saw some slight warping near the damage. They would also blend the paint color on a larger area, including 12 inches into the rear door. They said that they know the paint color used by Land Rover, but because the shades vary by can to can, the color matching is tricky. They quoted $1200+ and suggested that I file an insurance claim. This shop mainly deals with very high-end cars and pitched heavily towards filing a claim. Duration of service would be 7 days(!).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be visiting the auto body shop used by the local Land Rover & Jaguar dealership to get a third estimate. What do you guys think so far?

Last edited by youngwoony; 12-30-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Gcracker07110
Rennlist Member

Century is about right for what they are quoting, the other quote is absolutely outrageous, I've had a door reskinned and painted for less than they are quoting! Get a 3rd quote but $400-$450 for the services defined by Century is about what to expect. The $165 option above is possible but there are some deep gouges and many along the door edge that may make this a difficult option to get done well
Old 02-21-2014, 01:44 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had some minor work done at Cavallo. Great experience. Pm me for intro to their manager.

Quick Reply: Just scratched my other car - Need advice!