Sponsored by:

2015 991 Carrera going to 3.6L?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2015 991 Carrera going to 3.6L?

Any truth to the facelifted base 991 going to 3.6L? I heard it will possibly be putting out 380 to 385 hp making room for some increased hp for the Cayman/Boxster 3.4. The 3.8L will go up to about 420hpwithout powerkit. The base Carrera should really have a 3.6L imo. Anyone else hear this for 2015 or is this for 2016?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:12 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Haven't heard that but it wouldn't suprise me. The power numbers you posted would though.

IIRC the 3.4 is the same engine as the 3.6 in every way except they shortened the stroke a tiny bit (same for the 2.9 when it went to 2.7 for the 981) and I'm sure they left plenty of ponies on the table if they wanted to buff them up for a mid model run increase.

I also heard all current 991 owners will get a factory drop in replacement engine under warranty to make up for the power difference.

True story.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

For the 991 to increase from 350 to 380, that is 10%, would be a greater increase for an in-model facelift than they did going from 997 to 991. Porsche is way too tight with power to expect anything like that. Besides, according to spy photos the new car will feature a tiny turbo, with saber-sawn vents and lots of black duct tape. Anyone else hear if the 30" S wheels will be available on the base?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

That's what I heard as well. Plus it will come with the Porsche Ultimate Nurburgring Kit (PUNK) standard, which lowers the body to a single mm above the ground, and lower at higher speeds/cornering.

There will also be a double deviated stitching option, with a different color choice per row, for 5 grand per panel.

And get ready to see a ton of original 991's on Craigslist, cause:

19 way power seats.

From the press release:

Wolfgang Hatz, member of the Porsche AG Board of Management in charge of Research and Development, commented: "Ja, Dat just happened!"
Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Plus the new larger wheels will enable a new top speed of 300 mph without gearing changes.
If the body increases proportionally they could easily take top honors at the upcoming World's Largest Supercar meet.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Asked about all of the above, the official corporate reply was, "Shut Up and Buy".
Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Is it April 1st already?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

I guess you guys don't know either except the bs about the 30" wheels sounds right.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Re: Facelift .2 991

Originally Posted by Riz
Anyone else hear this for 2015 or is this for 2016?
I have now come to accept that the facelift .2 991 will materialize as a MY2016 - with a market arrival early in the Spring of 2015, just about one year away!

I have not heard anything re: engine power increases. Hopefully, they will do that! But of equal significance or even greater import, I expect at least the 991 S models to have as possible options the 'Rear Axle Steering' from the gt3 & Turbo and the improved 'Sport PDK' from the gt3!!! Cosmetically, I expect to see a larger rear lights (with some distant similarity to 918's rear LED's) and different, more 'visible' front LED driving & day lights. We might also finally get a 918 style adjustable 'sport bucket' (both driver & passenger side) as an option on select 991 & 981 'sport' models. And the new style 'Sport Design' steering wheel, first seen on the 918 and Macan, will be introduced, along with a new chrome ring around the center airbag cover w. enamel Porsche badge for all steering wheels.

Re: Exterior paints I expect 'Lime Gold', 'Amaranth Red' and perhaps 'Mahogany' (all three metallics) to be substituted for new colors. Re: interior selections, I expect to see more alcantara options (door panels, lower dash, etc) on selected 'sport' models (e.g. gts). All in all, it might be one of the most meaningful mid-model facelifts we have seen in Porsche 911 history...and I am looking forward to it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Now Eduardo, why do you have to go and ruin a perfectly good entertainment thread with your usual knowledgeable and well-founded research? The rear wheel steering option is eminently logical, and would follow the path of dynamic motor mounts. Anyway, what I really want to know, those 30" wheels: carbon fiber??
Old 02-17-2014, 01:21 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Spy shot.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I have now come to accept that the facelift .2 991 will materialize as a MY2016 - with a market arrival early in the Spring of 2015, just about one year away!

Re: Exterior paints I expect 'Lime Gold', 'Amaranth Red' and perhaps 'Mahogany' (all three metallics) to be substituted for new colors.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Hi Eduardo! Care to hazard any guesses on replacement colors? I don't think there has been any shade of green available in 911 or Boxster/Cayman since '09, correct (discounting Peridot, which was never on my short list. I'm talking PRG, Malachite, etc)? I assume Amaranth will default to another metallic red, but Lime Gold? And, as much as I like my Mahogany (and if one likes it, retiring it can only "help"), there is already Anthracite. Also produced in pretty low numbers.
Best guesses? I would love to read your thoughts.
Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356

I have not heard anything re: engine power increases. Hopefully, they will do that! But of equal significance or even greater import, I expect at least the 991 S models to have as possible options the 'Rear Axle Steering' from the gt3 & Turbo and the improved 'Sport PDK' from the gt3!!! Cosmetically, I expect to see a larger rear lights (with some distant similarity to 918's rear LED's) and different, more 'visible' front LED driving & day lights. We might also finally get a 918 style adjustable 'sport bucket' (both driver & passenger side) as an option on select 991 & 981 'sport' models. And the new style 'Sport Design' steering wheel, first seen on the 918 and Macan, will be introduced, along with a new chrome ring around the center airbag cover w. enamel Porsche badge for all steering wheels.

Re: Exterior paints I expect 'Lime Gold', 'Amaranth Red' and perhaps 'Mahogany' (all three metallics) to be substituted for new colors. Re: interior selections, I expect to see more alcantara options (door panels, lower dash, etc) on selected 'sport' models (e.g. gts). All in all, it might be one of the most meaningful mid-model facelifts we have seen in Porsche 911 history...and I am looking forward to it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Thanks for some real info.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Thanks for some real info.
Riz, it is really some 'real' speculation...but you are welcome!

Originally Posted by chuck911
Now Eduardo, why do you have to go and ruin a perfectly good entertainment thread with your usual knowledgeable and well-founded research?
Right, that should have been your job!

Originally Posted by Keadog
Hi Eduardo! Care to hazard any guesses on replacement colors? I don't think there has been any shade of green available in 911 or Boxster/Cayman since '09, correct (discounting Peridot, which was never on my short list. I'm talking PRG, Malachite, etc)? I assume Amaranth will default to another metallic red, but Lime Gold? And, as much as I like my Mahogany (and if one likes it, retiring it can only "help"), there is already Anthracite. Also produced in pretty low numbers. Best guesses? I would love to read your thoughts. Thanks!
On Mahogany vs Anthracite: I am only guessing that one will survive into the facelift. So it could be just as easily be 'Anthracite' that gets the boot!

Re: Hazard a guess on replacement colors? That would be a fool's errand. This is the one area at Porsche where I don't think the decision makers have (in recent times) allowed any non-German color consultant or opinion-researcher ever to participate in their decision making process! Car designers are very fashion conscious and want colors for their products that are in 'vogue'. But fashion & taste in Germany is quite different from other parts of Europe and the world! It's a known fact that there is a great divide between what Germans think is a great color (or color combination) and what Americans or Italians opine. For example, I don't see an American consultant would have ever told Porsche: 'Go ahead with that 'Lime Gold Metallic' on the new 991/981 - that's a terrific color and will sell like bratwurst at Octoberfest!'

This elite society of Teutonic designers & color consultants has given Porsche in recent times such breathtaking low sellers as 'Lime Gold', 'Cream White' and 'Nordic Gold'. To hazard a guess as to what colors these Porsche fashionistas would think of next to impress upon us their naturally superior sense of chromatic scale would be tad risky...even for someone like me that stays often at Holiday Inn Express!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2014, 01:13 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=MarcusG;11141086]Spy shot.

Absolutely hidious. I don't care if they keep that nasty thing under warranty, but I hope they'd void the Porsche brand entirely off of it. No longer deserves to wear the crest. Let Mugen/Honda have it or make it the official pace car of Animecon or whatever but please, please can we never ever call anything that gross a Porsche.

Anyway, I'll ante up with:

A green color option, Amaranth Red replaced with a deeper red, Mahogany stays, Anthracite goes, Lime and Cognac are replaced with different but equally twerky colors, and a low to no cost mini tastefully matching two tone interior combo is offered, at least for the standard Platinum and Beige interiors (mainly the dash and a couple other pieces).

New wheel options. I predict 20" remains the max factory offering.

Macan "Sport" steering wheel standard, with an enhanced MFW offered as an upgrade.

Possibly a small bump in power, but I doubt more than 5 or 10, and only if efficiency numbers don't change. Otherwise no change in power. Possibly a mini "power kit" option for the base (just improved exhaust and minor other things) good for 10-15 HP max.

GT3 shifting/steering (2 wheel version) software upgrade on all 911's.

An improved configuator based on pictures of actual exteriors. Yes, it will sadly take them until 2016 to do this.

Free "U Jelly Bro?" bumper stickers to antagonize our C7 friends.

Quick Reply: 2015 991 Carrera going to 3.6L?