Sponsored by:

Post-Purchase Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Post-Purchase Upgrades

I'm currently leasing a 991c2s. My original thought was to try it out and then configure one fully loaded with everything I wanted.

Now I am wondering how many of the options I didn't get could I get done now (versus having to buy a new one). A new one fully loaded will cost me $150k to $160k and this one will have a residual in the upper $80s. So if I can just pay to have some/most of these upgrades done, I could probably save a bunch of money.

Would any of you be able to help me determine which of these are doable? I'm guessing some can be done at the dealer, some might be possible at the Porsche body shop and some might not be possible. I'm also guessing some might be prohibitively expensive, but still worth considering.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Desired upgrades:

Sport Design steering wheel with paddle shifters: already know this is possible for roughly $2500

Full leather interior: basically upgrading door panels and dash to the full leather standard upgrade option (in black) which also gives you silver accents on door panels.

Adaptive Sports Seats: I have the ones one notch down. Would love to swap them with the Adaptive seats in black if possible.

Led headlights: I have a 2013 model and 2014 got an Led option. Is it possible to upgrade to Led?

X51 powerkit: looks like it can be purchased and installed after sale.

Pccbs: not sure I want to upgrade but am interested to know if I can upgrade post-purchase.

Illuminated door sills: with carrera S

Pdk selector in aluminum: don't think this is an issue

As you can see there are a bunch of upgrades, but with Pccbs, it would be $160k new ($150k without) so that is a big difference between my residual value.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Those updates/upgrades would cost a fortune. When your lease is done, buy the 911 of your dreams.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

learned this the hard way also on a previous porsche. buy all the car you can afford. the wiring especially is difficult to revisit after the fact, as porsche installs only the wiring needed for the options selected on the build. The one thing I would go for is the X51 if I could, but its a major engine overhaul done at your dealer.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree. Spend every penny you can at the start. Thats why I went for the 911/50 with PCCB. Everything I wanted with no regrets later.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:19 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

PCCB is one of the easier items on your list, but will cost about twice the original option price. Others like seats and lights might look easy, until you get into the wiring issues Nicoli mentioned. Only thing I see on your list that might be worth it is the steering wheel, because its very doable and right there in front of you, your connection with the car. But really, don't mess around. Wait and trade for what you really want.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

will 997 pccb fit on 991? $9k on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997-...6488ba&vxp=mtr

Old 02-16-2014, 05:01 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas991
A new one fully loaded will cost me $150k to $160k and this one will have a residual in the upper $80s. So if I can just pay to have some/most of these upgrades done, I could probably save a bunch of money.
Curious how you figure you could save money since adding options to a lease would only cost you about half the MSRP (at 50% residual) versus having the dealer add them later which might cost twice the factory MSRP (full price + install, no residual value)?
Old 02-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Kansas911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Curious how you figure you could save money since adding options to a lease would only cost you about half the MSRP (at 50% residual) versus having the dealer add them later which might cost twice the factory MSRP (full price + install, no residual value)?
Because if I only do some of the options above it might only cost me $3k to $30k which combined with the residual is substantially less than buying a new 991.

For now, I'm just interested in people's feedback on which items above are possible and that will help me determine whether my current car is good enough or whether I will have to splurge on a new build.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Beat them up on the buyback price and make them CPO it. And don't turn it in with one tenth of a mile less than the max. Still though, all that seems like an epic expensive way to add what are mostly suplurflous upgrades. I'd be sick thinking about a work of art engine barely broken in being torn down just to add 0.1 seconds of performance for that much money to boot.

Plus I'd think you could find a used one with most of the things you wanted anyway, and let someone else pay for the massive depreciation those options tend to consist of.

Quick Reply: Post-Purchase Upgrades