Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Turbo or Not

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The turbo needs 4WD because of the extreme power, but why 4WD on the Carrera S? Unless you contemplate winter operation, it's plus 175lbs and less pure steering feel to deal with (like an extra person, really). Not to mention the bloated-body look, IMHO, and higher drag coefficient.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's only 110lb extra weight and that's well below the Center of gravity. The width difference between the 2S and 4S is minimal, but looks slightly better and the illuminated rear reflector is a very cool design detail. Many reviews, like motor trend say the steering is better and the car has better, more playful handling....

It also rains a lot where I live and the AWD is useful in many driving conditions.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
The turbo needs 4WD because of the extreme power, but why 4WD on the Carrera S? Unless you contemplate winter operation, it's plus 175lbs and less pure steering feel to deal with (like an extra person, really). Not to mention the bloated-body look, IMHO, and higher drag coefficient.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:12 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahughes3214
Hello all, I’ve been reading through the forum for quite some time now, but post infrequently. I would like to solicit opinions on my configurations below. I traded my 2012 GTS in earlier this month and will be ordering a MY2015 991 later this year. In the meantime I have been working in the Configurator and I was pretty set on a C4S, but as it turns out, the pricing is close to a Turbo, so I need to look at that option.

I plan to keep the car for quite some time, possibly until they put me in a box. Still, based upon the option to base price ratio, the Turbo certainly looks to be the better way to go financially.

But not having access to drive a Turbo at this time I thought I would ask this group for opinions/observations/regrets.

My biggest concern is that I have read the Turbo lacks the aggressive sound and especially the burbling when the throttle is let off. Would anyone be able to comment on this from first hand experience? I will certainly try to test drive one when available, just looking to get feedback now.

Also, looking at pictures of the Turbo, the rear looks much wider than the C4S, is it that noticeable in person?

After seeing nmurry’s dark blue with SportTechno’s I’m pretty sold on the exterior color combo, so no need to comment on that. However, I am not sure about Agate gray interior. I have been to a few dealerships and have yet to see this color in a 991. As I understand it, it has a brownish hue, not sure if that is true or not. Actual owner comments appreciated.

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions for must haves that I may not have checked?

Thanks,
Drew

911 Turbo $165,505
Dark Blue Metallic N4
Leather Interior in Agate Grey DK
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Reversing Camera 638
Porsche Entry & Drive 625
Model Designation on Doors in Silver CAT
SportDesign Wing Mirrors 529
Deletion of Model Designation 498
Sport Chrono Package 640
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) 352
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) 250
20-inch Sport Classic Wheels XRU
Seat Ventilation (Front) 541
Light Design Package 630
Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package P06
Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS) 456
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell 581
Smoking Package 583
Fire Extinguisher 509
Seat Heating (Front) 342
Center Console Trim in Leather XHB

911 Carrera 4S $151,340
BOSE® Audio Package P3H
Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Power Sport Seats (14-way) P3E
Dark Blue Metallic N4
Leather Interior in Agate Grey DK
Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) 603
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) 636
Model Designation on Doors in Silver CAT
SportDesign Wing Mirrors 529
Deletion of Model Designation 498
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) 250
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) incl. PASM Sport Suspension 031
Carrera S Powerkit X51
20-inch SportTechno Wheels XRT
Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS) 456
Instrument Dials in Black 022
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell 581
Smoking Package 583
Fire Extinguisher 509
Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package P06
Center Console Trim in Leather XHB
SportDesign Steering Wheel 840
IMO...$151K for a C4S is crazy, crazy, crazy,,,, that is just nuts to spend that kind of money on a 4s. I paid just under $100k for my Carrera base and Im plenty happy with it,,,,if your gonna consider a 4S, You can build a nice 4S for more like $125K. If you can afford a ludicrous $151k for a over optioned 4S, id say spend the extra $15k and get the turbo.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Less pure steering feel? Higher drag coefficient?? 175@bs weight difference??? First of all, the steering feel is slightly better, although barely noticeable, no one is gonna notice 0.01 Cd difference in drag coefficient either and the weight difference is 111lbs, not 175.

If one likes the look, is very subjective. Another one likes the C2(S), one like the C4(S). It doesn't matter what car you favour. Eauch to his or her own, but as far as I can tell from these comments, it's obvious that you havan't driven the C4(S).

Suzy (via iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 02-19-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:25 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I keep going back to the fact that the Aventador is 4WD and nobody says boo about that...
Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Less pure steering feel? Higher drag coefficient?? 175@bs weight difference??? First of all, the steering feel is slightly better, although barely noticeable, no one is gonna notice 0.01 Cd difference in drag coefficient either and the weight difference is 111lbs, not 175.

If one likes the look, is very subjective. Another one likes the C2(S), one like the C4(S). It doesn't matter what car you favour. Eauch to his or her own, but as far as I can tell from these comments, it's obvious that you havan't driven the C4(S).

Suzy (via iOS app)
Driven steering wheels loose traction due to engine torque moving what's below them, like water, snow grit, etc.. Therefore less pure steering input from the driver. Also, the torque-steer effect on take offs causes issues. When you add PDK plus AWD you get to plus 175lbs, and yes that's like carrying an extra person around all the time. And one of the big 911 complaints is that it is bloated looking versus the Cayman, so why add more bloat with a fat rear (which by the way carries a 295 size tire, which costs more to operate/replace).
Old 02-19-2014, 01:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Driven steering wheels loose traction due to engine torque moving what's below them, like water, snow grit, etc.. Therefore less pure steering input from the driver. Also, the torque-steer effect on take offs causes issues. When you add PDK plus AWD you get to plus 175lbs, and yes that's like carrying an extra person around all the time. And one of the big 911 complaints is that it is bloated looking versus the Cayman, so why add more bloat with a fat rear (which by the way carries a 295 size tire, which costs more to operate/replace).
I'm not taking issue what you've said, nor am I trying to argue whether the 2S or 4S or the TT/TTS is better, etc.

I'm just curious whether your statement above is based on actually driving the 2S and 4S?

I ask only because before buying my 4S, I was fortunate enough to drive both the 2S and 4S quite extensively (as well as the TT). And for me, at least, I couldn't really detect the lack of pure steering input that you describe above in the 4S. There was a difference, but not one that I would ascribe as lacking "pure steering input" from the driver. To me, anyway, the 4S felt more planted, and in many respects actually more nimble than its 2S counterpart.

I know many people have expressed the same sentiment as you have about the steering input on the 4S, and I was just curious whether yours was based on actual driving experience, or commonly held beliefs about AWD steering in general.

Again, I don't mean this to be confrontational, because I am unable to detect what you and many others has described about the steering, and I just attributed my inability to recognize this deficiency in the 4S due to the fact that my driving skills are not yet developed enough.

Given that you're probably a far better driver than I am, I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'm not taking issue what you've said, nor am I trying to argue whether the 2S or 4S or the TT/TTS is better, etc.

I'm just curious whether your statement above is based on actually driving the 2S and 4S?

I ask only because before buying my 4S, I was fortunate enough to drive both the 2S and 4S quite extensively (as well as the TT). And for me, at least, I couldn't really detect the lack of pure steering input that you describe above in the 4S. There was a difference, but not one that I would ascribe as lacking "pure steering input" from the driver. To me, anyway, the 4S felt more planted, and in many respects actually more nimble than its 2S counterpart.

I know many people have expressed the same sentiment as you have about the steering input on the 4S, and I was just curious whether yours was based on actual driving experience, or commonly held beliefs about AWD steering in general.

Again, I don't mean this to be confrontational, because I am unable to detect what you and many others has described about the steering, and I just attributed my inability to recognize this deficiency in the 4S due to the fact that my driving skills are not yet developed enough.

Given that you're probably a far better driver than I am, I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
I own a C2, I just completed the Porsche Winter Driving Experience in the 4S.
Yes, you give up driver input anytime the steering wheels are driven. You just can't control them as well when they loose grip due to lack of surface adhesion. That said, you can call the 4S more planted due to engine- torque presence in all four corners of the vehicle. You have to be the judge, though, do you want to control the driving experience via simple, clean steering input or via additional engine input (or right foot)? I prefer to steer the vehicle, it takes more driving skill, for sure, and the simplest way is always the best way. I also like to shift myself, if that says anything.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:42 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by Suzy991

Suzy (via iOS app)
Exactly.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There's always been some truth to both sides. A lot of Key Wests points were in the past real faults. Some though are cherry picking. Forgetting, for example, that the front wheels don't just steer. They also brake, and when braking they pose all the same traction control problems for the driver as driven wheels will under acceleration. Older technology exacerbated this but that has changed dramatically to where power is controlled so much more effectively its become like Ipse says actually more nimble. But as far as feel goes, I've said before and its now become pretty well established fact that the electric power steering Porsche uses now gives them the ability to dial in pretty much whatever feel they want regardless of platform. They can if they want make the 4S steering feel better than the GT3 while at the same time dialing the 2S down. They'd never do anything like that but it is pretty clear they did tune the 4S to feel at least as good as the 2S, despite the front wheels being driven. As for the 4S feeling 'planted' at least some of this is due to the extra mass up front. Its distributed around, some sprung, some unsprung, so like everything else not so simple, but a lot of the 'planted' feeling can be replicated in the difference between a near empty and full tank of gas.

But in addition to feeling planted Ipse also noted the 4S feels more nimble. Planted, massive and nimble don't usually go together. But that's because the front wheels, even in a rear wheel drive car, aren't simply purely steering. The front wheels are only able to turn the car by first generating a lateral force, which when you vector it out shows a braking force. Driving the front wheels allows power to counter this force. In other words, that's right, the potential for more pure steering is with all wheel drive.

None of which says much about which is better. That all comes down to implementation (which is now crazy good) and personal preference.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by chuck911
There's always been some truth to both sides. A lot of Key Wests points were in the past real faults. Some though are cherry picking. Forgetting, for example, that the front wheels don't just steer. They also brake, and when braking they pose all the same traction control problems for the driver as driven wheels will under acceleration. Older technology exacerbated this but that has changed dramatically to where power is controlled so much more effectively its become like Ipse says actually more nimble. But as far as feel goes, I've said before and its now become pretty well established fact that the electric power steering Porsche uses now gives them the ability to dial in pretty much whatever feel they want regardless of platform. They can if they want make the 4S steering feel better than the GT3 while at the same time dialing the 2S down. They'd never do anything like that but it is pretty clear they did tune the 4S to feel at least as good as the 2S, despite the front wheels being driven. As for the 4S feeling 'planted' at least some of this is due to the extra mass up front. Its distributed around, some sprung, some unsprung, so like everything else not so simple, but a lot of the 'planted' feeling can be replicated in the difference between a near empty and full tank of gas.

But in addition to feeling planted Ipse also noted the 4S feels more nimble. Planted, massive and nimble don't usually go together. But that's because the front wheels, even in a rear wheel drive car, aren't simply purely steering. The front wheels are only able to turn the car by first generating a lateral force, which when you vector it out shows a braking force. Driving the front wheels allows power to counter this force. In other words, that's right, the potential for more pure steering is with all wheel drive.

None of which says much about which is better. That all comes down to implementation (which is now crazy good) and personal preference.
First it's Key Left, not West LOL. Second, under braking both systems are driven...but under acceleration, where surfaces have a tendency to give, AWD spins, up front, and while spinning steering traction is lost, thus you no longer have pure steering input like in 2WD, from the rear. And, yes, having engine- torque in all four corners gives the illusion of being more planted feeling. The car feels more balanced, but not weight-wise as you suggest. It's a torque effect balance. Also, this torque effect leads to another AWD hazard "torque-steer", or the feeling of the car being shifted in a specific direction due to the acceleration force of the engine muscle pushing one way harder than another. This is why Porsche devised high-speed AWS, to help counter act torque steer in the TT.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Okay, but remember, examples like "under acceleration… AWD slips" and "torque steer" have to do with implementation. When I have a trustworthy friend telling me his C4S has done Launch Control starts on snow with no noticeable wheel spin, and when I can watch video of a guy doing three Launch Control starts with a Turbo S on a crappy bumpy dirty road and the car goes absolutely straight without even a hand on the wheel, then I have to accept the evidence that Porsche implementation has pretty well solved these challenges of all wheel drive.

Incidentally, on your earlier comment about AWD being necessary on the Turbo due to its great power, there's a story there. Way back many years ago when they were first developing this I recall reading an article in which Porsche stated a main reason for AWD is efficiency. They had a chart or figures showing that tires are fairly efficient at transmitting low power but become very inefficient and waste a huge percentage at high horsepower. This was way back, 959 era stuff, and I've never been able to find the article which is a shame because it was a lot better than stuff like this that I have been able to find http://bsesrv214.bse.vt.edu/Dist_Lec...Eff_pm2818.pdf Anyway the point is the tire flexes under high loads wasting a lot of power.

But now here's the thing. And don't quote me on this because again this was a long time ago. But as I recall "high power", what seemed like high power back then anyway, and what resulted in all the efficiency losses, was around 300 hp. Which sounded astronomical back then. Porsche used AWD on the 959, which had 450 hp, very impressive for its time. Now the base 911 is 350, the S is 400, and both are well past the range where, as you said in the beginning, we need AWD.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

First it's Key Left, not West LOL. Second, under braking both systems are driven...but under acceleration, where surfaces have a tendency to give, AWD spins, up front, and while spinning steering traction is lost
An interesting point, but why would they ever let the front wheels spin? Ideally, no wheel should ever spin unless the computer decides that it's for the best. (I don't know if they really approach that ideal, though, so I'm curious to hear what you experienced at the WDE.)

This is why Porsche devised high-speed AWS, to help counter act torque steer in the TT.
Isn't AWS new on the Turbo, though? Did the 997 Turbo exhibit torque steer?
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Key Left
Pro

[QUOTE=Noah Fect;11148432]An interesting point, but why would they ever let the front wheels spin? Ideally, no wheel should ever spin unless the computer decides that it's for the best. (I don't know if they really approach that ideal, though, so I'm curious to hear what you experienced at the WDE.)

Exactly...the torque does not go forward until the wheels spin, at which point pure driver input steering goes out the window.

On the earlier "efficiency" point, if the average driver can handle the excessive power it can all go to the rear. An F1 driver can but can you or I?
Probably not. The new GT3 is probably at the average driver limit.

Quick Reply: To Turbo or Not