Sponsored by:

To Turbo or Not

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:08 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
But, you may say "...I should have gotten the Turbo S, or GT3 or GT2...". There is always something better. Even if you buy Vettel's 2013 F1 Championship F1 car, there will be a better one for 2014...
Great post ^^^.

Originally Posted by parkerfe
The 50th anniversary model has the best option to base price ratio. The soon to be released GTS will likely be even better in that respect.
The GTS will have to be stacked at a great price to beat the 911_50 in this regard. I guess we'll see. But I can't imagine it will be anywhere near as limited, as Porsche is well aware of how popular the 997 GTS was (and still is).
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by chuck911
I'm always puzzled when I see someone prefer the look they think says 'performance' over performance itself. But not choosing a Turbo because it sits rather high? For realz?
Fixed it for ya!

But seriously, at that modest price difference, I think you have to pony up and go TT.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by ahughes3214
I had been looking at the various models and it just seemed to escalate. First a C2S to replace my ’12 GTS; I was hooked as soon as I saw and drove the 991. Then wow, look at the curves of the C4S, oh, and wait, I must have the powerkit! Look how much it smoothes out the hp and torque curves, now I arrive at the turbo.
Yup, that's often how it goes.

I think the GT3 looks best; aside from the rear wing, and considered it as Slantnose! suggested. If I were to get one, I would want to take the rear wing off and replace it with the standard pop-up. Regardless, that is out of the question because I need the rear seat. I inquired with the dealer and he told me the factory would not do a rear seat in the GT3. I doubt he ever really checked with the factory, but from what I’ve read on the forums, this is not a new question. Rule out the GT3.
Looks are entirely a matter of personal preference, of course. But the rear spoiler on the GT3 is too much for me. As Nick said in one of his review videos, there is something about the lines of the 911 with the rear spoiler retracted. No rear spoiler is my preference, but the one on the Turbo is subdued compared to that of the GT3. Regardless, I can't imagine a rear seat in the GT3 and perhaps your dealer could not imagine it either. And, regardless, we're talking about a very different kind of 911 now. I understand he progression from CS2 to CS4 to TT, but...

Turbo S is also out of the question. I’ve already done the “it’s just a little more” argument and got to the turbo. I just don’t want to spend that much, and would like to stay married. Not to mention, I have no interest in the carbon brakes, and an extra 40 hp or so on top of 500 is not really needed for me.
Fair enough. And I would feel similarly.

I agree with many of you (Chuck911, Badknees, Coincident, and WCE) that the turbo should be a no brainer, except for a few things that I need to get past.
1) I really believe the C4S is a better looking car. The turbo with the flat rear arches is just a little wide and awkward for my liking (at least in photos). I definitely need to see in person.
2) In the photos, it also appears that the turbo sits rather high. The gap between top of tire and fender looks like a car without SPASM. I really like the lower look of the SPASM equipped C4S. Again, I definitely need to see in person.
3) I love the PSE burble on the NA; I drove my 997 with the PSE on all the time. However, I could live without this given the incredible performance figures for the turbo.
I agree with these three points. And your C4S build is also less expensive, of course. But the question is whether these factors trump what the TT brings to the table for a relatively modest $14K increase in price. If you were interested in an MT, then I could better understand the debate here, but since you prefer an automatic tranny to begin with, the TT would seem like the clear choice here.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:54 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you test driven them back to back? It's not even a comparison performance-wise, the turbo is obviously faster, but it also handles better w/ the RWS. So it comes down to looks and sound, essentially. I highly doubt you will regret your choice if you go w/ the turbo, but you will very likely w/ the C4S.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:03 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Fast? It's all about the feel/handling/responsiveness (NA engine) and the looks! C4S hands down nails it and once it's in sport+ it's a monster. You can load it up with all the options, and it's a perfect car! I'd give low end torque to Turbo/TurboS.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
Have you test driven them back to back? It's not even a comparison performance-wise, the turbo is obviously faster, but it also handles better w/ the RWS. So it comes down to looks and sound, essentially. I highly doubt you will regret your choice if you go w/ the turbo, but you will very likely w/ the C4S.
Clearly not, that's why c4s still entertaining (based on the price difference is not OP's concern).
As for the looks, will never know what's missing until looking at it side by side in person. Even I'm not that amaze looking at Turbo S sitting by itself. But side by side with regular carreras made me realize how completely pale they compared to Turbo/s

I have made both mistakes above and took the bite. Really tough hanging out on this great forum
Old 02-12-2014, 04:05 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Fast? It's all about the feel/handling/responsiveness (NA engine) I'd give low end torque to Turbo/TurboS.
Yeah, too bad they crap out on top.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:20 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fer2367
I am afraid the 2014 will be worse then the 2013

but yes, you have a point, there is always something better...
V6 1.6 liter arh! but we'll be saving the planet....
Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

For the (relatively) small price difference, I would go for the Turbo all day… although I have not driven one yet, I am a big fan of the flexibility and mid range torque that a modern turbo puts out. Ooh and the wide body too.. nice. Get the sports mirrors though.. Good luck choosing.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by handful
V6 1.6 liter arh! but we'll be saving the planet....
Yeah... For sure we save the planet.... Mercedes is using 23 heavy loaded trucks to move all the equipment across Europe. And that's just Mercedes... There are 12 Formula 1 teams, not even speaking about all the rest of equipment that has to be moved!
They should make those hospitallity units a bit smaller... Saves the planet a lot more! What's wrong with a trailer or a van? LOL! Now they build a complete portable village every two weeks.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You're just jealous the F1 circus still comes to Belgium but not to Holland or Switzerland Suzy ;-)
Old 02-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
You're just jealous the F1 circus still comes to Belgium but not to Holland or Switzerland Suzy ;-)
Hahaha, no, don't worry I actually like Belgium more than Holland (I've lived in Belgium as well). Besides that, Spa-Francorchamps is one of the most beautiful tracks in the world (better than the Nordschleife).

But now back on topic...

To Turbo or not, is a decision only one person can make. Just try to drive both and you'll know what you like.

Suzy (via iOS app)

Last edited by Suzy991; 02-13-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

I'm going to try and add my 2 cents to this as I just went through this very decision before deciding on the C4S.

Both are great cars, and after having driven both for extended periods of time, for me the C4S was just a better daily driver. Don't get me wrong, the TT is a fabulous car -- and of all the Porsches out there it might provide the best bang for the buck -- but when just tooling around town, it was (for lack of a better word) a bit twitchy. Almost as if it was too fast for just driving to work, or slogging along the interstate in rush hour traffic.

If I had two cars (I don't) and I could save one for the weekend/track, then the TT would be a no-brainer over a heavily optioned C4S (which mine was). But I have only time/space/money in my life for one car, and for me the C4S was the best of both worlds, without having to make (too many) compromises.

Also, fwiw, my insurance was less expensive with the C4S.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Pcar991
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like most here seeking advice you have a very tough choice to make. One thing I've noticed about this board is that people don't try to force their opinion/bias on you. Everyone is mature enough to try and give you an objective answer to your questions. This is very refreshing. I am fairly new here and struggled in a similar way over C2S vs C4S. The only problem is that there really is no clear "right" answer for any one person. As with any highly optionable items its easy to end up at the top (Turbo S!) because each additional option on the lower spec gets you that much closer to the "next" model on the food chain. Many of the points are very valid but ultimately you will be living with the car. Best advice always is to go and test drive all the models you are contemplating. I found the Porsche dealerships and the salespeople are very accommodating. You are, after all, spending an obsene amount of money on a car. Ask your sales guy to prep back to back test drives. You may find that the Turbo, despite all its pluses and power is too big (wide) or simply too fast for your daily needs. The Turbo no longer shares the body with the C4(S) it is wider still.

Good luck and happy choosing =)
Old 02-13-2014, 02:02 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

life's tough choices....

I think the op, and other guilty-by-association types might head over to the nearest 991 dealer,

get behind the wheel of a GT3, and floor it. just let 'er rip, and leave a healthy patch...

when you're done tearing up the Launchpad, ask the dude if the Turbo is faster.

and this from one of the paid member forums...

Originally Posted by odurandina
last to post the 'show us your sig' thread on the 991 forum is a rotten egg.

*to the op and you all; God bless.... I'm just having a bit of fun at your expense. if we can't laugh at our absurdness,
what again can we laugh at. hope there's no hard feelings, and best wishes on your significant purchase.

Quick Reply: To Turbo or Not