Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy? (X-Post from the Cayman forum)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
that blue pill looks suspiciously like an advil gelcap.
lol, it's dayquil and nyquil

Originally Posted by iiAtlas
How long are your guys test drives on average? I feel I'd really need a day with both to know definitively which I'd prefer in the long run. Any way I could pull this off? Maybe renting one?
My dealer gives out two day test drives, if you are a serious buyer, they will let you take it for a full day.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
There's a 54 mile(!!!) 2014 Cayman S in the vehicle marketplace. CPO'd for $67,400. I totally get the ordering EXACTLY what you want.......but is it worth $26K more? In two years time, the two cars will be worth similar dollars.

I don't own either but the new Cayman is extremely tempting. Just have to be careful with the option ticking....it can get out of hand very quickly. 991s are awesome cars too but again, prices get serious very fast.
I agree, you can get really low mileage CPO ones for mid 60's to low 70's all day long and since it's Dark Blue Metallic and not Aqua or Sapphire blue, it's much easier to find in the use market. You don't have to wait 3 months and you don't have to suffer the huge depreciation if you decide it isn't for you and you want a 911.

They are two different cars. The Cayman handles better but is slower. I actually like the Cayman's look to the bland 911's w/o the aerokit. The Cayman is a quasi-exotic looking car for those who isn't into cars. Nearly everyone besides 911 owners will think the Cayman is a better looking car. The Cayman's handling is very predictable and neutral, thanks to it's mid-engine design. It's easier to drive fast, gives you more confidence, feels a lot lighter and more direct. If you got into both cars back to back w/o knowing which one you were in. I would bet you'll pick the Cayman, it's that good.

All the 911 has is heritage, nobody dreams about owning a Cayman, that is the stupiest thing I've ever heard. That's b/c when you are were growing up, there isn't a Cayman to dream about. It's a brand new mid-engine car, how many mid-engine cars can you name under $100K? I think the Cayman is a great car just not close to $100K good when it's only 325hp, even at 400hp, it can't demand a $100K price tag, it needs to be closer to 450hp imo. All the options are useless like full leather, deviated stitching, navigation, climate control that adds up to the 100K figure, all standard options on a $25K Ford focus.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:40 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I came from a 2006 Cayman S and fully expected to buy a new Cayman S. I, too, spec'd it pretty high. But one day I test drove a 991S and that was that! It only took me a dozen more 991 test drives to figure out what options I "needed".
Old 02-07-2014, 05:10 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the 991. The styling is truly timeless, its heritage is timeless, and you will never, ever regret buying it. Period. You can't say that with the Cayman. And speaking from personal experience, when I test drove the Boxster S and the 991S Cab back-to-back, there's simply no contest whatsoever. The Boxster S was a brilliant car, no doubt, but felt more like an appliance than the 991S. It was almost too composed, too civilized, no rough edges or quirks, and noticeably slower. The 991S had a great deal more personality and more identity, imho. It just feels special. And while my comparison isn't apples-to-apples to yours, it's essentially the same. And I've owned 1 Boxster S and 3 Carreras now. If this is the last and final Porsche you plan to buy, and you can afford it, why would you honestly buy anything other than the 911? It's probably the most iconic sports car in the world. Go get one!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Fünfzig
Instructor

I think you already know the answer...you just want affirmation.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Originally Posted by drh
European delivery is on my bucket list...not sure I'll ever be able to pull that off, but I can dream.
Very happy to hear you want to do that as well
It's an absolute must for me! Maybe even more important than the car!

Originally Posted by petee1997
You say this car is forever. Get a reasonably equipped C2S and you will never look back. The 981 is a great car but after the novelty wears off many buyers have regretted not buying the big dog.

PS Keep in mind that you are on the 991 forum and we all have an obvious bias.
I think you're absolutely right about this. A Cayman, I may look back on, a Carrera I never would. This is what worries me the most...

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
For me to decide on the 4S was more that it had the same options I had as must haves. I love the natural leather and specifically the espresso/cognac and the exterior color. The dealer just happened to have a 4S instead of an S with that configuration. If it would have been a S I also would have bought that. I think the 4 is more stable out of corners if you are really getting on it so easier for my wife to manage.

I decided to skip the base as I knew this would be my only time I would do this (I always buy used cars) so I should get exactly what I wanted. I really don't think there is that much difference in the base and S in most driving but it was more that I just thought I would regret not getting the better engine.

I would look at the 911 and the options you can get on a special order. There are tons of stitching, leather and exterior options. This forum has some great explanations of special things you can do. Take your time and decide on what you want as if you buy the wrong car you will not want to keep it and cost more than if you bought what you wanted in the first place.

If I were doing it again I would probably trade the 4S for a base and put more leather and deviated stitching in the car and really look at the special options to personalize the car. I know I would run up the cost so would have to settle for the base car. But what a great settle it would be.
Those little additions certainly do run up the price, but for me they determine whether it's a car that you sell after a year or two, or one you keep forever.

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Not much difference in size. Both are largish sports cars, supple and comfortable bordering on luxurious when cruising, with more room for stuff than you expect.

They go and stop and handle, each with their own special feel. Cayman S and 991 base are close in performance. The 991 S is a larger step away from the Cayman- in ways that Cayman owners and 911 owners each appreciate.

You won't go wrong either way. All you can miss is a 991 S

PS The 981 Boxter S is a whole other story
I felt the Cayman S to be significantly smaller than the 911, maybe it was just the compactness of the cockpit? If I were to get a 911 I would most certainly do an S (or 4S). I made two near identical S/4S builds and the price difference was under $10k. Quite a surprise!

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
Couple of suggestions:
- Get the X71 suspension rather than PASM - it's cheaper and fantastic.
- Bundle the 18 way sport seats + leather interior. It drops the price of the Xenons to zero
- If you are in the US, the telephone module doesn't buy you much.

www.porsche-code.com/PEXN78Y7

otherwise, that's likely what I would do.
Thanks for the heads up about the modules. Does the X71 ever feel too stiff?

Originally Posted by Ynot
lol, it's dayquil and nyquil

My dealer gives out two day test drives, if you are a serious buyer, they will let you take it for a full day.

I agree, you can get really low mileage CPO ones for mid 60's to low 70's all day long and since it's Dark Blue Metallic and not Aqua or Sapphire blue, it's much easier to find in the use market. You don't have to wait 3 months and you don't have to suffer the huge depreciation if you decide it isn't for you and you want a 911.

They are two different cars. The Cayman handles better but is slower. I actually like the Cayman's look to the bland 911's w/o the aerokit. The Cayman is a quasi-exotic looking car for those who isn't into cars. Nearly everyone besides 911 owners will think the Cayman is a better looking car. The Cayman's handling is very predictable and neutral, thanks to it's mid-engine design. It's easier to drive fast, gives you more confidence, feels a lot lighter and more direct. If you got into both cars back to back w/o knowing which one you were in. I would bet you'll pick the Cayman, it's that good.

All the 911 has is heritage, nobody dreams about owning a Cayman, that is the stupiest thing I've ever heard. That's b/c when you are were growing up, there isn't a Cayman to dream about. It's a brand new mid-engine car, how many mid-engine cars can you name under $100K? I think the Cayman is a great car just not close to $100K good when it's only 325hp, even at 400hp, it can't demand a $100K price tag, it needs to be closer to 450hp imo. All the options are useless like full leather, deviated stitching, navigation, climate control that adds up to the 100K figure, all standard options on a $25K Ford focus.
Wow, two day test drives! I see where you're are coming from with the options, but for me they're a must. I want to step in every time and think "I designed this" (at least somewhat!)

Originally Posted by BradB
I came from a 2006 Cayman S and fully expected to buy a new Cayman S. I, too, spec'd it pretty high. But one day I test drove a 991S and that was that! It only took me a dozen more 991 test drives to figure out what options I "needed".
What set it apart, power?

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Get the 991. The styling is truly timeless, its heritage is timeless, and you will never, ever regret buying it. Period. You can't say that with the Cayman. And speaking from personal experience, when I test drove the Boxster S and the 991S Cab back-to-back, there's simply no contest whatsoever. The Boxster S was a brilliant car, no doubt, but felt more like an appliance than the 991S. It was almost too composed, too civilized, no rough edges or quirks, and noticeably slower. The 991S had a great deal more personality and more identity, imho. It just feels special. And while my comparison isn't apples-to-apples to yours, it's essentially the same. And I've owned 1 Boxster S and 3 Carreras now. If this is the last and final Porsche you plan to buy, and you can afford it, why would you honestly buy anything other than the 911? It's probably the most iconic sports car in the world. Go get one!
A 991 is absolutely something I would never regret, that is certainly true. Interesting you say the Boxster felt too civilized, I would've pinned that as a 991 characteristic.

Originally Posted by 911/50
I think you already know the answer...you just want affirmation.
I do and I don't! Every time I think I've made up my mind I change it
Old 02-07-2014, 11:43 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
And here I must object: probably???
Old 02-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by iiAtlas
I think you're absolutely right about this. A Cayman, I may look back on, a Carrera I never would. This is what worries me the most...
In all seriousness, unless you are looking to join a cult rather than simply buy a car, you have to drive both 981s and 991s before you will have any basis for a decision.

For everyone who bought a 981 and regretted that they didn't get a 991 instead, you can find a post from someone who bought a 991 and sold it quickly, realizing the reality didn't live up to the dream for them. But I can't think of a single 981 buyer, either here or on Planet9, who has mentioned being disillusioned or regretful about their purchase. I'm sure such owners exist, but they are not common. The only way to make a mistake is to buy either one without test-driving the other.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:40 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
In all seriousness, unless you are looking to join a cult rather than simply buy a car, you have to drive both 981s and 991s before you will have any basis for a decision.

For everyone who bought a 981 and regretted that they didn't get a 991 instead, you can find a post from someone who bought a 991 and sold it quickly, realizing the reality didn't live up to the dream for them. But I can't think of a single 981 buyer, either here or on Planet9, who has mentioned being disillusioned or regretful about their purchase. I'm sure such owners exist, but they are not common. The only way to make a mistake is to buy either one without test-driving the other.
Interesting points. I loved the 981 when I drove it, maybe I'm just feeling "insecure"? I think what I really have to do is sit down, drive both for at least an hour, and see which one makes me happier - as ultimately that is the most important question.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:50 PM
BradB
Drifting

What set the 991 apart for me was refinement. It was noticeably quieter and more relaxed and comfortable. Airy cabin was refreshing after 4 years in a Cayman. Push a few buttons and you can change all that but it's nice to have the option. With the 991 I can enjoy the radio again! Of course the power is a plus as well!
Old 02-08-2014, 05:52 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy once, cry once. If you think you might fell like you 'settled' for the Cayman, don't do it.

I knew I wanted a C4S, but decided I didn't want to wait and order what I really wanted in the car. I knew I was settling when I bought the C2S, and will be ordering a C4S in about 2 years.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradB
What set the 991 apart for me was refinement. It was noticeably quieter and more relaxed and comfortable. Airy cabin was refreshing after 4 years in a Cayman. Push a few buttons and you can change all that but it's nice to have the option. With the 991 I can enjoy the radio again! Of course the power is a plus as well!
Were you comparing the 991 to a 987, or to a 981? I've never been in either Cayman so I don't know how much they changed. The 981 Boxster is said to be quieter than the 981 Cayman, interestingly enough. No complaints with mine in that department.

When I sat down in the 991 and compared it to the 981, I honestly couldn't tell you what car I was sitting in without counting the gauges or the back seats. Fit and finish are absolutely equivalent. If anything there are fewer complaints about squeaks and rattles in the 981s.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

^Brad said, "after 4 years in a Cayman" so that can only be the 987 series. The 981C just came out last year.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

As a kid I also dreamed of owning a 911 and that dream persisted until the 996 series. I wanted the 911 for it's looks, handling and focused experience. When the 996 was introduced I lost interest and really didn't take interest again until the 997 GT Series were introduced since they were closer to the original 911 with a less is more approach. But I do feel like the 911 has grown too large.

The Cayman and Boxster are more similarly sized to the old 911 and have similar weights. The power of the Cayman and Boxster are much higher than the older 911's so realistically they are a better version of the old 911, more modern, better handling, nicer interiors and more power.

If I didn't have the Spyder the Cayman would be #1 on my list. I would order with the sport suspension, upgraded sound, some leather options and not too much additional to keep it simple and focused.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
^Brad said, "after 4 years in a Cayman" so that can only be the 987 series. The 981C just came out last year.
Right, but he might have shopped the 981 before upgrading to the 991.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:31 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yes, I did own a 987, but my pre-991-purchase test comparisons, as described above, were with the 981.

Quick Reply: $93k 2014 Cayman S - Am I crazy? (X-Post from the Cayman forum)