Sponsored by:

Colors ... I need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Colors ... I need help

Hi guys, after I was sold (on the configuration page), on Amaranth Red Metallic with Black/Carrera interior I finally found a Boxter in Amaranth ... and I took a U-turn. It was not that darker red I though it was, but rather a pinkish-orangeish hue, and lighter than expected. This now made me back out from red-black/red, and I'm back to the configuration board ...

Do any have experience (owned, seen, etc.) the following combos, and have some comments on them? If you have a picture ... even better.

White : Black/Red- Seems safe, but I feel white is a bit 'flat'
Black : Black/Red - I'm thinking this should look good, but a black car seems hard to maintain (or is it that bad ... my last 3 cars was gray metallic)
Black : Black- Stylish, traditional, safe?
Agate Gray : Black/Red - Looking at the car in sun it looks fine, but I did notice that Agate Gray interior looks brown?
Agate Gray : Black - Very similar to my current BMW (I like the 'mechanical' look, but was going to try something else).
Dark Blue : Black

Also ... Black vs Basalt Black Metallic ... as far as I understand Metallic tend to have more layers of clear lacquer which help against swirls?

These are the colors I have rules out so far :
Exterior : Yellow, Brown, Lime
Interior : Blue, Beige (too light), Pebble Gray (too light)

I'm thinking Dark Blue have same drawback as black (so then black might be safer).

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 662 Posts

Arena red is beautiful and it's already approved for PTS. I don't like reds in general on cars but I bought a '98C2S in arena red back in 2001 because everything else was perfect. I really grew to love the color and it would be on my short list if I could afford PTS in a 991.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:52 PM
JamesKen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only help on the Basalt comment. Basalt has a metallic sparkle to it. So it is a bit easier to keep clean but does not have that deep, shiny true black look. Both blacks are pretty common and are just different.

If you google Porsche 991 images of those colors you should find quite a few pics for both the int and ext.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing more personal than the choice of a color combination and it can be one of the most difficult processes of buying a new 991.

Search on Google or look at www.autogespot.com for pictures of 991s in different color combinations. That can help a lot.

If you are willing to spend the extra $ and wait longer, you can go for Color to Sample (or Paint to Sample as it is called). Arena red, like mentioned before is a beautiful color indeed. Deep, dark metallic red. Just search "Porsche arena red metallic" on Google and you'll get various examples.
If you want a "different" white, they have Oryx white pearl, a color I really wanted... Untill I heard the price for it. EUR 7000 excl. VAT was the German price, which means it would cost me about 10500 swiss francs ($11500). That's about 2 times more than regular Color to Sample paint. It looks absolutely perfect though, especially in combination with a black-red interior. A 991TTS was shown in this combo on the Frankfurt motorshow last year.

The same applies to the interior. A lot (almost everything) is possible, but to a price. It's up to you if you want to spend the extra $ and go through the process of a custom built car.
A "simple" black over black car can be just as beautiful.... It all depends on your taste.

Regarding the colors you mention:
- Agate grey metallic has a kind of brown hue in it, bit it only gets visible in particular lighting.
- Black interior suits IMO every exterior color, but can be looked at as a "save" color. My Boxster s is Basalt black over black and I like it. However... It's a PITA to keep clean.
- Black vs. basalt black... For me without a question basalt, bevause i just like metallic colors, but it is indeed also slightly easier to keep clean and to hide swirls. Plain black looks better though, because it's real black.
- Dark blue with black interior looks beautiful. However, I think that a two-tone interior (Black-Platinum grey or Black-Luxor) looks more expensive and pops a little more. (And you'll get some free deviated stitching as well).
-which brings onto the next suggestion... Choose a color you like, take a black interior and go for some nice deviated stitching in a contrasting color. That's a r"elatively cheap" way to make an interior look more expensive. A complete interior will cost you about $3500 on extra stuff, to get all the stitching done in deviating color.

In the end it really is a very personal choice. What do you like? what are you willing to spend? how long are you willing to wait? How long are you planning to keep the car...
All questions that only you can answer

Good luck... It's not easy

Edit: Here's a link to a very nice thread (and long) about ordering a custom built Porsche: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:47 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I ordered an Amaranth Red. I also saw it on a Boxster, and I thought it was just stunning. Yes, all things being equal, I might prefer the Arena Red, but it's NLA and I ain't payin' thousands of dollars for a special paint color.

It's up to you - it's your car and you need to get whatever will make you happy. Go to the dealer and look at their paint samples and interior samples. That's much more accurate than hoping that your computer monitor is displaying the colors correctly and the photographer had the correct settings on his camera and in the right lighting...
Old 02-10-2014, 09:21 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Amaranth depends heavily on the lighting. Its kind of like Rhodium in that regard. Some colors look better on different cars, and Amaranth looks way better on a 911 than a Boxster IMHO. Pair it with beige (single or two tone) and it slays.

Dark Blue seems to be a little more resiliant than black for swirls, but you still have to take care of it. I'd get beige or platunim (single or two tone) instead of black for the interior though. Black seems to just suck the life out of the Blue. Hard to explain unless you can see them back to back but before you order that combo at least find an example of the others to compare. DBM is surprisingly stunning when its clean and polished. Its less dependant on the lighting, but (argueably) its the best sunrise/sunset color they make right now. But it dulls rapidly as it gets dirty. Its one of the better colors for hiding dirt, and sometimes the only way you'll know you need to wash it is when you look at it and it looks good instead of great.

White is both flat and awesome at the same time. Pair it with a glass sunroof and you'll never lay awake wishing you got a different color. Goes good with any interior color too. One of the few colors that can say that.

Agate Grey pops a lot less, but is an incredibly classic color for any model I've seen it on. Paired with black or platinum interior and it just oozes class and sophistication.

Don't discount brown. Mahogany Metallic looks amazing on a 911.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Well my take is its a mistake picking colors based on the Configurator. None of the colors, interior or exterior, look anything like reality. Its pretty good for helping imagine what each steering wheel looks like, or having bits like center console trim in leather, carbon or painted body color. But to order a car based on Configurator color is to set yourself up for a big surprise. Oh it will probably turn out okay but only because pretty much all the choices are so good its very hard to go wrong. But it will not be anywhere close to what you imagined, as you already discovered with the Boxster.

That said, looking at your choices it seems you like a black interior. Espresso not only looks great, it comes in the higher quality leather. Also of your exterior color choices the best looking car I've seen was Agate/Espresso. The car was in a ED video, it was not the point of the video but it was WOW when I saw it. I think it may have something to do with what Suzy said, that Agate has a bit of brown in it. Not something many talk about and I've only ever seen the one example. Espresso also looks awesome with white. But Agate/Espresso, very classy.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Hugo,

If you are leaning toward Red, Guards Red has more orange in it thatn most realize, but not as much as Amaranth Red. If you want a really good looking Red, check out this thread with Carmine Red Paint to Sample. I am not a "red car" guy, but I would get this color in a heartbeat.

Carmine Red 2014 991 C4S
Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, the most "popular" colors & the ones that hold more of their resale value are: black, white, silver & agate gray. (in no particular order)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Amaranth depends heavily on the lighting. Its kind of like Rhodium in that regard.
This is true with all metallic/polychromatic colors. I learned this the hard way with my cobalt blue 996, which looked purple in good sunlight (I test drove it multiple times before buying it, but always on cloudy days with dull light). One of the most beautiful colors I have seen in most light, but I didn't like the bold purple look.

Originally Posted by chuck911
Well my take is its a mistake picking colors based on the Configurator. None of the colors, interior or exterior, look anything like reality.
Words to live by ^^^. Internet photos can be misleading, too. When possible, it's best to see the color in person and in varied lighting.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
FWIW, the most "popular" colors & the ones that hold more of their resale value are: black, white, silver & agate gray. (in no particular order)
I'm not doubting this, as it seems quite sensible, but I am curious as to whether there are any hard statistics supporting this.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 662 Posts

[QUOTE=MJBird993;11122152] Yes, all things being equal, I might prefer the Arena Red, but it's NLA and I ain't payin' thousands of dollars for a special paint color.

Understandable. The other side of that argument is that $5500 buys you a rare color on an already relatively rare car. Let's say your built price is $118. PTS adds about 4.7%, or a little more than 1/2 the sales tax I would pay in Ohio. If it's a color you love, why not?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
But Agate/Espresso, very classy.
I couldn't agree more Chuck. It's a very rare combo. In case you'd like to see a real example of agate/espresso. I'm very happy with the results.

Last edited by Ma991; 06-01-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

This picture is not mine (obviously) but I ran into it when doing my research. It shows the combo in sunlight even better.

Last edited by Ma991; 04-03-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 AM
LSV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year, our PC used to have an agate metallic/espresso C2S as test car. A really nice and classy combo in a sunny area. But when it's getting cloudy or dark...it's, well like november in Düsseldorf. Classy but no fun at all.
The problem with 991: when you look a one in the street, it looks always cool and perfect. But once in your garage, it's for a long time.
Personaly I was going to order a pricy classic color (615 Slate grey)...when came the 911-50. Choice went easy for me.

Color is also important for a DD: even dirty my silver 300C looks perfect and wife's BMW 535i Alpine white looks perfect only on monday morning.

Quick Reply: Colors ... I need help