Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^+2.....Troll
Old 02-01-2014, 02:15 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The video should not be taken too seriously. To be fair, I could tell the 991S had PDCC from the way it didn't heel over on heavy lateral g-force. The video was not a fair comparison; a base 991 and base Corvette might have been better. Wish these car video bloggers would stop the "drifting." It's inefficient and serves no purpose other than teenager showboating. No one track racing or driving hard on a back twisty country road with no shoulder would try stunt driving. Every time I see it in one of these videos, I think it hurts the credibility of the driver reporting the story. Just my two cents. Oh and there be trolls about. Argh. lol

Old 02-01-2014, 02:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

You guys sure are too sensitive when it comes to competitors...
There's no doubt Porsche is a better experience,that's why I have 2 of them...and it should be considering the price difference. You get what you pay for...
I just think it is a lot wiser to acknowledge there are a few competitors,like Corvette,that are putting tremendous effort to catch up and take a bigger slice of the industry. That can only be beneficial for us enthusiasts.
You need to embrace it,not be insecure about it and in the end,you will become a true connoisseur.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:49 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Oh you want validation. Hahaha. Okay. You're a contender. Too funny. So cute.

The sad thing is that there is no true competitor to the 991 at present. I would have loved to had more choices in the same price category and same level of quality and precision in the parts that make up the vehicle! Corvette does not and has never had that level of quality regardless of test track numbers. That's what most people have been saying to the trolls, who visit Porsche boards to entertain us. Nissan has a better chance of interesting us than a GM Corvette.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:56 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I believe that 911s and Corvettes have been compared in print for the last 40 years. As a former owner of a C2, I believe that each car has its merits. I saw criticism about the interior of the C7 in this thread, but the interior looked fine to me. It certainly is far superior to that of a C6.

One of my co-workers owns a C7, and I've had the pleasure of taking two spirited drives in his car. From my grand total of maybe 20 minutes driving the C7, I'd say that it's an outstanding sports car, especially for the price. As someone who has always loved sports cars, I don't think it's necessary for me to denigrate the C7 to justify my Porsche purchase. There's nothing like some competition to bring out the best from both marques.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:09 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

That I can agree to, sir.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:05 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I believe that 911s and Corvettes have been compared in print for the last 40 years. As a former owner of a C2, I believe that each car has its merits. I saw criticism about the interior of the C7 in this thread, but the interior looked fine to me. It certainly is far superior to that of a C6.

One of my co-workers owns a C7, and I've had the pleasure of taking two spirited drives in his car. From my grand total of maybe 20 minutes driving the C7, I'd say that it's an outstanding sports car, especially for the price. As someone who has always loved sports cars, I don't think it's necessary for me to denigrate the C7 to justify my Porsche purchase. There's nothing like some competition to bring out the best from both marques.
Well said sir.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone that refers to themselves as a rock legend has a few issues.....
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait for the new NSX. I think you will see a similar price/similar quality competitor.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone has a favorite, I enjoy my 991S and have no complains, strong well footed car. As far as driving experience I prefer the Cayman, and I think the Cayman is the P Car that should be compared to the Corvette (2. Seaters). Porsche should stop detunning the Cayman and just have a 400hp Cayman S. People that buy the 911 do so not because of the HP, but because it is a 2+2.
On a side note, I drove a Lotus Elise this weekend and nothing comes close to the goKart feel of the Elise, fantastic machine.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

I'll be mildly interested in new NSX. I'm a child of the 80's so the first gen poster was one on every wall of my room as a teenager. I'd venture to say the GTR is a price/performance competitor to the 991 S as long as you don't load up the 911 with options. I considered one for a brief moment mostly for the performance value and the fact that when it comes to build quality it's German > Japanese > American. I'm leaving out Italian and others not on purpose but to make a point.

I think the new Stingray is interesting looking and for the money a tremendous performance value as was the C6 ZO6. I'm a bit old fashion so I still prefer the styling of the C6. The C7 styling will most likely start to grow on my halfway through the current run.

I've owned a couple of Corvettes, the last of which was when I was much younger and cared less about build quality and refinement. If it was loud, hot, fast and smelled like gasoline I was all over it. I can drive circles around my 911 in my Saleen Mustang and it's total monetary investment was less than half of what I spent on the 911. You can make anything fast but do you want to drive something that awful every day?

Once you have owned a German luxury vehicle the caliber of a Porsche, Mercedes or BMW almost everything else feels cheap in comparison. If you don't get it you never will.

In addition, I enjoy dropping in on the Porsche discussion forums to read and contribute from time to time. I'm sure it's not just me but I can't spend more than a couple of minutes attempting to read the majority of the posts over there in the Corvette forums simply because of the poor grammar used. It's painful. If head out and pick up a new Corvette I'd be compelled to interact in the discussion as well and frankly that's something I just couldn't stomach.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Everyone has a favorite, I enjoy my 991S and have no complains, strong well footed car. As far as driving experience I prefer the Cayman, and I think the Cayman is the P Car that should be compared to the Corvette (2. Seaters). Porsche should stop detunning the Cayman and just have a 400hp Cayman S. People that buy the 911 do so not because of the HP, but because it is a 2+2.
On a side note, I drove a Lotus Elise this weekend and nothing comes close to the goKart feel of the Elise, fantastic machine.
Although I never test drove a 991S, I did own a 997S and it was one of the favorite cars that I have ever owned. The only reason that I didn't buy a 991S was because I rarely get the time to track my cars any longer, and the premium for the S was just too much for a car that will be driven exclusively on the street. I've owned my 981S for almost a year now, and it certainly is a lot easier to drive fast than was my 997S. I must confess that I do on occassion miss the 60 extra HP my 997S, but not enough to pay the $40K premium for the 991S. I will admit however, that if money were not a factor, I would have more than likely been either the owner of a 991S or 991 base cabrio.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Although I never test drove a 991S, I did own a 997S and it was one of the favorite cars that I have ever owned. The only reason that I didn't buy a 991S was because I rarely get the time to track my cars any longer, and the premium for the S was just too much for a car that will be driven exclusively on the street. I've owned my 981S for almost a year now, and it certainly is a lot easier to drive fast than was my 997S. I must confess that I do on occassion miss the 60 extra HP my 997S, but not enough to pay the $40K premium for the 991S. I will admit however, that if money were not a factor, I would have more than likely been either the owner of a 991S or 991 base cabrio.
The value of the premium of the S is kind of debatable, you get a lot of little extras besides a more powerful power plant. I only got it because I figured that it would have a better acceptance once I decided to sell it.

If I did not have a 5years old son, and the CaymanS had the same power plant as the 991S, there would be no doubt which car I would get.

Again I think the Vette should be compared to the Cayman, price points are similar, both two seaters etc. I can already see the outcome, the Vette much stronger car, but the Cayman much more refined and precise.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bacura
Wait for the new NSX. I think you will see a similar price/similar quality competitor.
Now that's a proper car I'm excited to see and consider, not a hodgepodge of AC Delco reject parts maintained by the same gentleman fixing the Chevy Cruze.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
In addition, I enjoy dropping in on the Porsche discussion forums to read and contribute from time to time. I'm sure it's not just me but I can't spend more than a couple of minutes attempting to read the majority of the posts over there in the Corvette forums simply because of the poor grammar used. It's painful.
Interesting. Back when I was heavily involved in PCA we were always trying to get someone to write an article for every Tour. At first we used the same few reliable people. They got tired and we started asking for volunteers at each Tour. Finally we just added a little spiel (heh) about this to the driver's meeting, and if nobody volunteered we'd just point a finger and say you're the one! This wasn't done so much out of desperation as the slow realization that no matter who wrote the article they all came out great! I mean it was the most amazing thing! And while I initially just assumed this had a lot to do with our editor, he said no, he hardly ever needed to change a word. The cool thing was we then had articles that, if you knew the author, it was like listening to them tell you about it, which made things more personal. And for the writer, it was kind of cool seeing their name and story in print. And not only were they not painful to read, they were all very enjoyable! From Porsche owners picked pretty much at random. In the beginning this seemed to me flat out amazing. But looking back on things I wonder why. There are good reasons it turns out why a couple of the best things ever written about Porsche are 'excellence' and 'Excellence Was Expected."

Quick Reply: Vette vs 991 chris harris