Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered a Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

A great point on the MY. Dealer did say their launch car is due 6/27/14 and will be a MY '14. I have no problem with little patience, to get a '15. I would hope to get that info at time of allocation.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Colors....

Originally Posted by Keadog
So, how about giving us your preferred list of colors for this combo, in descending order? If you feel especially energetic, I would appreciate a separate ranking for "factory" and at least your short list of preferred PTS colors of the major shades (red, green, blue, yellows, browns; especially the blues, greens and browns). Considering your breadth of knowledge and in person viewings of so many different combos, I for one would very much appreciate it. I have been thinking of ordering a Targa and trading my Boxster, but my first impression was that I really dislike the black canvas roof. I like the roll bar and rear glass a lot, but not that mini cab roof. My initial thinking was the car would need to be black or dark blue, so I would really like more details about your take on the subject. Thanks Eduardo and a big Congrats to OP - I admit to being semi-jealous.
Keadog: As you know, taste is so personal that it would be meaningless to rank my short list of favorites for a vehicle such as this Targa model. I am the world's greatest fan of W25 'Signal Green' PTS. Yet, when I had that car, many folks thought it was way 'over the top'. Go figure. The point I wanted to make here in regards the Targa is that its unique 'above' waistline composition of a black top, stainless steel bar and vast rear glass (to an even greater extend than a Cabriolet) lends itself to a 'loud' exterior color expression! I know that from personal experience with my unique 'Crystal Blue' 1970 911E Targa. You just have added design possibilities on a Targa with color selection that would not be available to you if you were ordering a Coupe...so be creative!

You have seen the bright 'Sapphire Blue' Targa demo at Detroit. It looks sharp. Even the other Targa in 'Black' looked pretty good. Now imagine 'Birch Green', 'Signal Yellow', 'Voodoo Blue', 'Gulf Orange', 'Tangerine' or 'Viper Green' thrown into that mix. Any of them will make the Targa a standout! I have always believed that PTS is the best $ option you could invest on your custom order Porsche - as long as you choose a desirable and preferably 'historic' early 911 color! You just can't go wrong. The resale market will attest to it. And the personal enjoyment of having a unique color on your car is just..., well, priceless!

Originally Posted by fjpdds
Badknees:
Without the dealer allocation I'm going to have way to much time to think it over. I'm a sucker for leather and starting with Agate/ expresso-cognac...but Eduardo has me thinking of maybe yellow, guards red, full black leather with deviated stitching. Fun daydreaming ...all day daydreaming....hmm
You have time. Indeed think about all of those options! Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Franklin: You might remember that I bought some .1 997 leather interior pieces from you in February of 2011 for my 07' 997 Carrera S Coupe! Thanks again for that transaction long ago!

Originally Posted by SeaPors
Thanks for clarifying the refresh date and initial MY designation for the first Targas. Raises the age old question of purchasing from the first allocations from the "old" MY or waiting a couple of months to get the benefit of new MY designation which may help in retaining value a bit longer, at least theoretically.
In the US, I would suggest most of you wait for the MY2015 model to insure least possible depreciation, as this will have a large impact on resale. In England and other parts of Europe, it is less of a concern since a May built MY2014 and a July built MY2015 will be registered in the same year and be considered the 'same' for all practical purposes.

Attention: For those thinking of ordering a Paint To Sample Targa

My understanding is that the PTS ordering window on MY2014 is closed at the present time. It is supposed to open again in time for first orders of MY2015, to be start building the early part of Summer 2014. If that is the case, you will not be able to order PTS on any late MY2014 Targas. So just confirm with PCNA if you are considering PTS on your Targa allocation.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently in NYC

For more information on the thread "Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You", see following link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

For latest list of Paint to Sample approved colors by PAG & PCNA, see attached!
Attached Images
Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides PTS, I think another option is worth asking for at Porsche Exclusive. The Targa-hoop painted in a dark color like satin or matte black.
On a light colored exterior, the aluminium hoop looks not good IMHO.

Here's an example I just made with my limited PS-skills:

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Suzy, I do like the idea. My first 911 had that black rollbar. Here's a pic of my targa, (purchased in 1986).
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

It amazing how little your targa looks compared to a 991!!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fjpdds
Suzy, I do like the idea. My first 911 had that black rollbar. Here's a pic of my targa, (purchased in 1986).
If the 991 Targa has 'legs' and survives into the next 99X chassis, I do expect Porsche to offer some variations on the Targa roll bar, perhaps even copying what they did in the 1980's and offer it in 'Black' (no Stainless). But for the time being, this the introductory year of the model and in keeping with its retro-theme to the first Targas which were all stainless, I would think that Porsche will not allow any deviation of color or texture on the Targa roll bar (even if you request it as a 'Porsche Exclusive' exception). However, I do see the possibility of offering different color canvas tops to match the different palette selection currently offered on the Cabriolet. If that happens, it might be a few years down the road.

By the way, fjpdds, was that interior 'Cork'?

Originally Posted by SeaPors
Leaks of a 991 refresh for the MY '15s has me wondering if the new Targa will be included in the refresh at the outset or later.
I have never seen Porsche introduced a brand new model in current chassis, as they did with the new Targa in Detroit in the .1 991 version, and then actually go into production in a different phase of the model - as in a .2 991 facelift. That would be confusing and totally misleading. Customers worldwide were presented the 991 Targa at its auto show intro (in this case Detroit). And they will expect to receive the EXACT same version after they place their orders & their cars are built. That is why I am doubly sure that the .2 refresh on the 991 will come in a MY2016 and not MY2015!

Saludos,
Eduardo
NYC
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 01-28-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:27 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Brilliant. That hides the rollbar. I'm going to the configurator now to cook up an all black Targa with platinum silk wheels. That should be hot !

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Besides PTS, I think another option is worth asking for at Porsche Exclusive. The Targa-hoop painted in a dark color like satin or matte black.
On a light colored exterior, the aluminium hoop looks not good IMHO.

Here's an example I just made with my limited PS-skills:

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Brilliant. That hides the rollbar. I'm going to the configurator now to cook up an all black Targa with platinum silk wheels. That should be hot !
Damn, that option is not in the configurator. Suzy, I know it's a big ask, but could you please be so kind to wave your magic wand and cook up an all black targa (rollbar, exterior, interior) for me with platinum silk wheels ?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
However, I do see the possibility of offering different color canvas tops to match the different palette selection currently offered on the Cabriolet. If that happens, it might be a few years down the road.

Saludos,
Eduardo
NYC
I don't pretend to understand production or marketing, but why would it take so long, considering the fact that regular cabriolet canvas tops are already produced in different colors? It would certainly make for more interesting choices (like, say Mahogany/brown/espresso or even silver/red/red if one prefers)?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bccars
Damn, that option is not in the configurator. Suzy, I know it's a big ask, but could you please be so kind to wave your magic wand and cook up an all black targa (rollbar, exterior, interior) for me with platinum silk wheels ?
Here you go!

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Here you go!

Suzy (via iOS app)
Ok, that's a winner!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

I've made some examples with a couple of classic colours, just to give an idea how the Targa looks with non-standard, non-metallic colours:

And a Targa 4S "Z356"-edition in Crystal blue

Colours are probably not exactly matching, but I've tried to get is as close as possible (also depends on the what monitor one uses of course).

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, that black rendering is hot!!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Suzy - you're the best!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM