Sponsored by:

Porsche 991 C2: squealing, rattling, squeaking and creaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche 991 C2: squealing, rattling, squeaking and creaking

So after 20 some years of lusting after the 911 I ordered my self a base 991 silver with PDK, chrono and a few other odds and ends. It came about 100 days latter. By now it got 600mi on the speedo.

Now for the bad news.

1. The brakes are squealing like dying pig with gentile pressure - called porsche and stoped by the dealer and was told to do some hard braking a few times to get the coating off. - it did not help. Found some info on this site about "bedding in" brakes - no help ether.

2. The door are creaking with every bump no the road and there is a different squick if I put my arm on the window.

Other then above the car is perfect and drives amazingly but the noises are diving me nuts.

Any one is having the same problems? Any help? Will it all just shake out with time?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

No squeaks or rattles on mine. Though I do wish they had fiber covered wheel well liners to quiet the debris striking the plastic.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:14 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have some funky rattle within the dash, but I decided not to go down the rabbit hole and try to find the source. I'll just roll down the window and step on it. But in the end it's not acceptable for the price.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues here
Old 01-22-2014, 11:41 AM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an issue with mine near the seatbelt but it went away. Now it's solid as a rock.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Brake noise. There have been complaints by several here. Like the dealer said, brake harder.

As for the door noise, keep complaining. They need to fit that. Not normal. Any strange wear pattern on the strike plate? Paint rub? What happens if your dress the rubber seal with Aerospace 303?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2013 991 also has the terrible brake noise (beyond just "normal" brake squeal). Took it in to the dealer. They said it was normal and told me to brake hard several times and it would clear up. It did not. Still does it.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
What happens if your dress the rubber seal with Aerospace 303?
A better solution to consider for door seals is Einzett Gummi Pflege. It's specifically made for soft rubber seals and lasts a long time. I've used it for years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8PJO1I/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004B8GTQG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06GW0R5TRMFPRZC0GH07 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8PJO1I/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004B8GTQG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=06GW0R5TRMFPRZC0GH07

Also a trick for squeaking door seals is to wipe a coat of talcum powder on the seals. It works wonderfully.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:49 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

The brake noise issue has been well discussed, but its important to realize that "brake harder" might not be something that is feasible for most people. To really do what is needed would require speeds and braking far in excess of what most people can safely and legally do on public roads. These are extremely high performance brakes, designed for "best in class" performance in getting a car stopped from 180mph to zero as quickly and as in controll as possible. Simply braking a little extra from off ramp speeds once in a while is probably not close to enough. Like many have said, Porsche could very easily install super quiet urban daily driver brakes to be silent in the parking garage of an office building. But then they wouldn't be as good. So far, thankfully, Porsche customers and engineers are staying true to the performance and not trying to pretend to be a 2 door Lexus with wide hips.

As refined as it is, a 911 is a street legal race car bordering on super car status. It is radically over braked for most daily drivers. And that is a very, very good thing.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Door rattle was driving me nuts. Dealer took the door apart and couldn't find much. I finally realized it was the round button that controls the mirrors. When you hear the rattling press on that button and see if it goes away. I am getting a new switch assembly this weeken, should fix it.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by BradB
A better solution to consider for door seals is Einzett Gummi Pflege. It's specifically made for soft rubber seals and lasts a long time. I've used it for years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5TRMFPRZC0GH07

Also a trick for squeaking door seals is to wipe a coat of talcum powder on the seals. It works wonderfully.

thank you for all the help .

I realy think this should fix some of the noises

Last edited by Zohan; 01-22-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by Justin N
Door rattle was driving me nuts. Dealer took the door apart and couldn't find much. I finally realized it was the round button that controls the mirrors. When you hear the rattling press on that button and see if it goes away. I am getting a new switch assembly this weeken, should fix it.
will have to try it. I truly hope it just shakes out on its own - don't want dealer monkeying around with "perfection"
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My brakes would squeak in about 100 miles after I washed it. So I guess I have no choice but to wash my car/ brakes based on the mileage.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
The brake noise issue has been well discussed, but its important to realize that "brake harder" might not be something that is feasible for most people. To really do what is needed would require speeds and braking far in excess of what most people can safely and legally do on public roads. These are extremely high performance brakes, designed for "best in class" performance in getting a car stopped from 180mph to zero as quickly and as in controll as possible. Simply braking a little extra from off ramp speeds once in a while is probably not close to enough. Like many have said, Porsche could very easily install super quiet urban daily driver brakes to be silent in the parking garage of an office building. But then they wouldn't be as good. So far, thankfully, Porsche customers and engineers are staying true to the performance and not trying to pretend to be a 2 door Lexus with wide hips.

As refined as it is, a 911 is a street legal race car bordering on super car status. It is radically over braked for most daily drivers. And that is a very, very good thing.
Amen! Thank you! Thank you so very much! This should be a sticky or something.

Of course if anyone feels its not 'feasible' to use their brakes hard on the street then they really owe it to themselves and others to find some place where they feel it is feasible and safe. Not knowing how fast the car can stop means not knowing the options in an emergency situation. Occasionally squeaky brakes are not there just for performance numbers and track days. In truth, they are there to improve safety. They could be more quiet, sure. But only at the price of safety.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:40 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My only rattle is when my sunroof is opened, going over harsher bumps. The dealer tried to fix it once but made little difference. I'm kind of at a loss about it, it's not terrible and I don't drive with it open that much really, but on the other hand, any foreign noise in a car this expensive is tough to accept.
I know there's been some past threads, but if anyone has had a rattling sunroof permanently fixed and knows what they did, please tell me.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 C2: squealing, rattling, squeaking and creaking