Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991/997 in the Rearview

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Corvettes from the 1960s--Now that's a proper 'vette.

Hand salute.

Ready 2.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:20 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

What I find amazing about Holmi's Corvette fail video is how many of them fail even at driving what is basically just a straight line. Can't really blame the car I guess. Which leaves the driver. Which says something too, I guess.

Oh and that video also shows why PNWR autocross is on an airfield runway not a parking lot. No curbs or light poles, vast grass runoff areas and well away from distracting and dangerous onlookers and parked cars. And no it is not true that we do that just in case someone shows up with a Corvette...
Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Exactly. Also searched for similar Porsche fail videos and came up almost empty. Interesting.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 AM
PeterC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
What I find amazing about Holmi's Corvette fail video is how many of them fail even at driving what is basically just a straight line. Can't really blame the car I guess. Which leaves the driver. Which says something too, I guess....
I think there was a lot of driver error in that video...still, hard not to laugh at some of the crashes. A RWD corvette has a lot of torque to deal with. Posing for the camera while you are driving is not advisable...
Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Well, it happens. Just not nearly so often.

There was a period of about 7 or 8 years during which I did every Driver Ed, Driver Skills and Autocross in PNWR. At least 15 events a year. Each Driver Skills was 35-45 cars, DE around 100, Autocross 120+. The whole time I ran DS there was not one incident, unless you want to count the occasional car scuffed by a cone. In autocross I can only recall one car going off into the grass having to be pulled out with a few scratches from shrubbery.

The situation at DE was more complicated and revealing. Back when I joined events were organized around a good ol' boy philosophy, the unwritten rule being the rules are for the newbies not the good ol' boys. Under that regime, which had gone on for decades, there was an incident every one to three events bad enough the car went home on a flat bed. At least twice I recall the driver going for an ambulance ride, and not precautionary either, we're talking concussion, broken ribs, etc. Back in that time frame they also ran a joint DE with the Corvette club, which after a couple years became the only event I would not do after watching a car (sorry, Corvette) catch fire, another car (sorry, Corvette) roll at 120+ with at least one serious incident at every single event.

Then while I was president and brought in an entirely new guy to run DE we went two years with no incidents. Including the Corvette events. So its not just the cars, and its not even just the drivers. It also has a lot to do with how events are run, how much emphasis there is on true education and skills development, and so on. As proof, after Jim and I left and the old guard returned, very first DE they held, car goes home on a flat bed.

So it happens, even to Porsches, even though in that case its more of an aberration because despite what someone else said there is such a thing as the typical Porsche owner, that tends to be distinctly different than the typical Corvette owner, which is probably tantamount to an immutable Law of the Universe, akin to the way helpful informative threads die in three posts while senseless Corvette threads just go on, and on, and on….
Old 01-20-2014, 01:23 AM
PeterC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuck911
What I find amazing about Holmi's Corvette fail video is how many of them fail even at driving what is basically just a straight line. Can't really blame the car I guess. Which leaves the driver. Which says something too, I guess....
The Corvette Drift video gives a good perspective on the characteristics of a RWD Corvette. My first 911 was a 996 C4 6spd. No matter how hard I tried, I could not spin the tires from a start, the car just always seemed to grip the pavement although it did not have the rip roaring torque of Corvette or Viper mind you, as I found it more than once. I have not driven the new Corvette so it would be hard to comment. It does seem like it has some good handling qualities, I'll have to check it out if I can. I can recall being on the track with my C4S, when my alternator failed and the ABS, traction control and other electronics gradually shut down. While the traction control shutting down was not too bad, when all the systems shut down, I had the car in the dirt more than once, but it didn't last long as I limped into the pits, so the aids help too. Personally, I think you can swing out the back end of a RWD 911 like it was a boomerang if you are not careful...

Last edited by PeterC4; 01-20-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by PeterC4
My first 911 was a 996 C4 6spd. No matter how hard I tried, I could not spin the tires from a start, the car just always seemed to grip the pavement
Its hard to decide which is more entertaining, "C4", or "no matter how hard I tried." Oh, wait, I know! This!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
PeterC4
Advanced

[QUOTE=chuck911;11067877]Its hard to decide which is more entertaining, "C4", or "no matter how hard I tried." Oh, wait, I know! This!

I'm still missing it....what is your point?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
You think the 63-67 Vettes look like crap?
Absolutely. Even back then it was all form over function and there is no period in automotive history where wire wheels with spinners ever looked cool. And I do not, never have, and never will "get off on '57 Chevys". Sorry to skewer any sacred cows but I've always thought all Vettes looked like total crap. The C7 is the least crappy one IMO, but the rear end is still comical and the "trumpet" exhaust pipes are just asthetically asinine.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 PM
PeterC4
Advanced

Default Perspectives

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Absolutely. Even back then it was all form over function and there is no period in automotive history where wire wheels with spinners ever looked cool. And I do not, never have, and never will "get off on '57 Chevys". Sorry to skewer any sacred cows but I've always thought all Vettes looked like total crap. The C7 is the least crappy one IMO, but the rear end is still comical and the "trumpet" exhaust pipes are just asthetically asinine.
The volkswagen hubs on the 911 don't look so hot either.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This a reoccurring theme: Corvette guys desperately seeking confirmation that their car is on par with Porsche. If you are convinced that your car is equal or better, why do you feel the need to seek affirmation, aknowlegment and approval here?
Old 01-23-2014, 12:52 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

To me, while I am acknowledge what GM has done, the car just looks "cartoonish...." It looks like an autobot from the last Transformers movie.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterC4
The volkswagen hubs on the 911 don't look so hot either.

Thanks for proving my point.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:38 PM
PeterC4
Advanced

Originally Posted by handful
This a reoccurring theme: Corvette guys desperately seeking confirmation that their car is on par with Porsche. If you are convinced that your car is equal or better, why do you feel the need to seek affirmation, aknowlegment and approval here?
I'm agnostic about the whole thing and have never owned a Corvette. I do find it humorous just how violently opposed some "Porsche" guys are to the Corvette. I don't know that anyone is seeking affirmation of anything, other than some acknowledgement that the new C7 has some decent attributes for the price and some may find various models appealing. To each his own.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:41 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

I think the issue is trolling, which many of the guys are tired of; you don't usually see Porsche owners trolling on the C7 boards, and I think that says a lot--a lot that I am too bored to write about. Still I find trolls a hilarious source of cheap entertainment. It's harmless, really. Would not read too much into anyone's posts.

Quick Reply: 991/997 in the Rearview