Sponsored by:

991/997 in the Rearview

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
i don't think its porsche's intent to deliver value though. thats what i was trying to say in response to you. yes, your observation is true but nobody is trying to prove otherwise. you are trying to make a point to people interested in porsche about a subject that they don't care about.
Why do you think no one on a Porsche board cares about the C7? I am not ready to go and trade my GTS on a C7, but I enjoy, and am interested in many sports/performance cars, regardless of brand. Seems like a lot of Porsche owners are insecure about themselves and their cars.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:09 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Ah, America in the 50s and 60s: when we actually made quality stuff....
Old 01-17-2014, 06:15 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Why do you think no one on a Porsche board cares about the C7? I am not ready to go and trade my GTS on a C7, but I enjoy, and am interested in many sports/performance cars, regardless of brand. Seems like a lot of Porsche owners are insecure about themselves and their cars.
how about try reading the thread...
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

These kinds of threads drive me nuts. Lets be candid, anyone that can afford a Porsche can by definition afford the new Vette or GTR, or whatever. This is obviously a Porsche forum, so the choice has been made. No disrespect to the Vette, they are quite capable cars, I get it. I have owned 2 Z06's, but they simply do not have the fit finish and feel of a 911, and box stock cannot hold up to the rigors of track days in the same manner as a Porsche. BTW, spare me the, yeah, but they are so much cheaper and you can do XXX mods and still be cheaper than a P car. Go buy the damn Vette then.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:01 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Oh, and have you heard the one about the guy who wanted his porch painted?
Two coats, and by the way it wasn't a porch it was a Ferrari.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 PM
PeterC4
Advanced

Default Good to compare

Every car has a value proposition. I agree with a lot of posters that there are many factors that go into the desirability of a car but its good to have a perspective on the marginal benefits that come with super car prices. These days, with the horsepower race on, pure straight line speed can produce many different winners. Here is a very good video comparing the 2014 Corvette to the 911 C4S and the Berlinetta F12....interesting results. The Corvette in this video could be had for about 65k.

Last edited by PeterC4; 01-19-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche was the slowest on track but still the best drivers car. There is sooooooo much more to a car than raw numbers.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:51 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factors that are considered when choosing a vehicle are clearly very personal and multi dimensional. My advice is always to drive as extensively as possible, every potential candidate. While reviews in magazines and recommendation by others are useful, driving, feeling and experiencing a vehicle should be the determining factor in the car purchased.Buy the most car your budget allows since there never is remorse over buying something superior. Regrets occur when there are compromises over what was truly desired but not purchased.In the end, the driver has to love his car and it is totally irrelevant what others think.Be selfish and make yourself happy.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

My criteria for choosing a car are simple-
1) beautiful to look at
2) highest level of performance
3) finest build quality
4) great reliability

The first 2 factors are very subjective and no. 2 means different things to different people. Only the last 2 are objective and quantifiable.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally speaking, Aston Martins and Ferraris are beautiful, Porsches adhere to form following function and are attractive. GTRs are grotesque.

Performance- While numbers only reveal part of the story, I require speed and rapid off the line performance for a vehicle to be considered a candidate for purchase. 0-60 times over 5 seconds a priori disqualify a car for consideration. Now that speed is achieved, the car must handle. It needs to be agile, with communicative steering but most of all there must exist a real connection between the car and the driver.

The clincher is impossible to quantify but involves the overall feel of the car when I sit in it. The texture of the controls, their positioning, the comfort of the seats. The ultimate test is how much I look forward to drive the car and the sense of exhilaration I derive when doing so.

The car that satisfies all those requirements better than any other is the TTS. It is for me, the embodiment of what I want in a car.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone notice how many of the comments favorable to the Corvette are based on measured performance numbers? This reminds me very much of the way audiophiles used to focus on RMS watts and THD and IM measurements. This went on for years, until more and more people started realizing how many components measure good but sound bad. These people by and large were able to put the numbers aside and focus more on the ability of a component to reproduce music. Or as Robert Harley famously said, "If the first watt isn't any good, why would you want 200 more of them?"

With cars, GM has gone the Dynaco route, with 200 watts for (relatively) cheap, and a whole aftermarket industry selling kits to give you a thousand. A thousand watts, but why? Because it might measure good, but it sure don't sound like music.

But only to those who love music. Which in cars equates to driving. Which most people never learned how to do in the first place. And even fewer ever experienced in a 911. But the ones who have, well that explains why all the drivers cars reviews place the 911 on top.

As for value, well I don't know what value to place on being the very best, but I did own a 200 watt Dynaco once. Wound up giving it away. Once I learned to drive, er, enjoy music, it made my ears hurt.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Your audio analogy is apropos. As a manufacturer of single ended triode tube amplifiers which produce 8 watts per channel but mated to correctly designed high efficiency speakers will sound purer, more transparent and dynamic than other solid state high power amplifiers.

The true analogy to cars is the horsepower to weight ratio. A 500 hp car that weighs 5000 lbs will not perform as well or be as fast as a 300 hp 3000 lb vehicle. Specs in audio components have been conclusively been proven to often bear little correlation to sound quality. Likewise for cars. However 0-60 times offer a fairly close approximation of the acceleration capability of a car. But not much else.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This thread is too funny. omg

Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
I have owned a few Corvettes and they were good cars and fun to drive. The reason I went away from them (10 years ago so may not be all true now) is that I was in the shop way too often. I also hated dealing with the sales experience. I was not even allowed to drive the last one (C6) I tried to trade for until I made a deposit. With my 911 the sales man passed the keys to three cars to help me decide on what I wanted, base S or 4S. He said to drive each 20-30 minutes to make sure what I wanted. When done he asked if I wanted one overnight to make sure.

Service - Well to take the same Corvette back at least twice for each item was too much. One was in the shop 9 times in a year and the second one 6 times in 9 months before I sold it and was treated like the problems were my fault.

I switched to Lexus and was very pleased with service and support until I got into Porsche and they make Lexus seem ordinary.

Not one issue with my 911 in three months. I know three months is not very long but the Corvettes were each in multiple times by now.
+1

I, too, owned several Corvettes when I was a kid. They were always at the dealer for something, although I treated them really well. I loved them at the time but I got sick of all the repair work on brand new cars. And the Chevy service managers were not fun to deal with.

I moved on to other brands but was never really satisfied until I got a new 2001 911. Now I've bought a new 2013 911 and I'm thrilled with the car. You just cannot fairly compare a 911 with a Corvette. They're completely different beasts. I could care less about price and power. My 911S has more than I need already.

I'm an old fart and I just feel better in a 911. I can't help myself. I'll be blunt since I'm not running for political office and really don't care what anyone thinks of me. I think Corvettes are for kids and old men who can't afford what they really want, i.e., a new Porsche.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
The new Vette is better than the previous Vette, but at the end of the day its just a Camaro with a half awesome half asinine fiberglass shell on it. Its the first Vette that doesn't look like crap...
Well, I find myself disagreeing with almost all of this. The only thing a C7 has in common with a Camaro is the origin of their tail light design. Also, there's less and less fiberglass on the car with each new iteration. And as for the C7's nasty looks (see below), they are the main reason that, for the first time in my life, I'm now seriously cross-shopping 911s, with another reason being the C7's still-present-after-all-these-decades NVH issues.

Originally Posted by 911/50
C7 = "Transformers"
Very. Actually though, it's Hot Wheels. The C7's lead designer, Kirk Bennion, has admitted (out loud!) that his chief inspiration while growing up was Hot Wheels. I knew this before he said it, as the first thought that I had when I saw the new Camaro (also his design) was that it looked like a giant Hot Wheels toy, and the C7 does, too. Hell, it's actually possible to buy a new Camaro that says "Hot Wheels" right on the side of the car...

Originally Posted by Bacura
'63 split window Vette with a 427 was one of the nicest cars ever produced.
Actually, it was one of the nicest cars never produced. The big block wasn't available until '65, and then it was a 396...
Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Fünfzig
Instructor

@1analguy correction: Hotwheels + Transformers = C7

Thanks for catching my error.

Quick Reply: 991/997 in the Rearview