Sponsored by:

Winter tires in the south

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:01 PM
zenspector
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter tires in the south

I'm considering purchasing a set of Pirelli Sottozeros on 19" BBS-CHR wheels for winter driving. I live in north Georgia, so snow is not an issue. It is those cold days and nights that seem to make my OEM 20" Pirelli's hard as a rock. That along with black ice occasionally makes me feel that I would be smarter to go with the winter set, especially since my 991 is my daily driver.
Anyone thoughts, or similar southern experience would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:55 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

The winter tires will not provide much if any benefit on black ice. I live in Raleigh and don't drive my car on the rare occasion when we have snow/ice on the roads. On clear days when temp is below 40 degrees, I just take it easy. I stay on summer tires all year.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:49 PM
zenspector
Advanced

If there is snow or known ice around here, I take my wife's Cayenne Diesel.
I had an '09 Cayman with 18" summer tires for a couple of years. The first winter with it I had a few 'white knuckle' moments while traveling these hilly and mountainous roads, which can and do contain surprises in the winter. Went to all seasons the second winter and no problems.
With my new 991, I don't want to take any chances. Is it good (expensive) insurance or an unwarranted concern? I guess that's my question.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Michelin AS3s are almost as good handling as SuperSports (according to Randy Pobst about a second slower around Laguna Seca), stay supple in colder weather, and are rated a 500 for wear (outstanding). Real snow/black ice, take the Cayenne. That said, I am on my way through a second winter on the original P0s, and have had no problems (moderated driving when under 45, and realizing that stopping distances are not what they are when its warmer).
Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
zenspector
Advanced

Yeah, moderated, conscious driving is the most important factor.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 PM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the 20" Pirelli Sottozeros, excellent in the snow. No use at all on ice of course.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in Virginia where we don't get too rough a winter, but I opted for Winter tires mostly because of the temperature, not snow and ice. When it gets below 40 those summer tires get rather hard. I got the 19" Pirelli Sottozero tires on the Carrera wheel set and have been very happy with them.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm in NYC with my C2S on summer P0's 2nd winter. Obviously I avoid driving when it snows (got caught once and skated everywhere, finally parked it and left it). Low temps don't and haven't bothered me any. I don't hesitate to take the car out on a nice day regardless of temperature, but I just take it easy. No probs at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm in Atlanta and I just take it easy in cold weather as the other posters have noted. I'm lucky that it rarely stays below freezing here for long. I should add that I drive my 991 on summer tires every day.

I keep pushing my wife to get a Cayenne but so far no luck...
Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We still have small not a so sport ute. I scratch my head looking at the spare wheels for it mounted with full on winter tires sitting here in SW Florida... They will probably just get worn down on work commutes to get rid of them (unless I get lucky and find a snowbird with room to haul them back in the spring) when the current tires check out.

I do miss driving in the snow...
Be safe
Patty
Old 12-31-2013, 05:17 PM
smithr
Track Day

I routinely drive my car on my p-zero summer tyres in temperatures as low as 16F here. As long as the road is dry. I've even had to make a couple of sudden stops due to accidents in front of me. Not once have I had an issue with stopping distance or lateral grip in sub-zero but _dry_ conditions.

Winter tyres are too much of a hassle and expense for the week or two of snow we get here in KY.

When snow does fall I take the "winter beater" CLA 250 - front wheel drive, although it's still on summers!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:12 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I also really struggled with the need for snow tires to handle cold temperatures here in Missouri. (If it snows I'll park the car.) In the few short weeks that I have had the car I have had no issues driving in colder weather. Been out a few times in temps as low as 20 and have done well.

I think knowing that your tires are not operating at full efficiency...and driving with good sense accordingly...seems to allow me to get by fine, so far. I'll re-evaluate after this first winter and see if I need to get winter tires next year.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:24 PM
zenspector
Advanced

Good points everyone. Thanks!
I think I will forego winters for now. We are expecting some weather in the lower 20s in the next couple of days. It will be interesting to see how the P0's perform.
Happy New Year to all, and be safe.
Cheers
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 PM
smithr
Track Day

Posting an update to this thread... Today the weather in KY was a lovely -4F / -20C and I took the C2S out with pirelli p-zero summer tyres. I want to stress that the road was completely dry, sun shining an sky clear but the car handled exactly the same as it does in warmer temperatures.

All said I covered several hours worth of driving on a dry road at high freeway speeds (exercising caution at all times!) and I had every confidence in the car's ability to do rapid lane changes and/or emergency stops.

Hopefully this helps someone in their decision to shell out $2k for winter tyres

Disclaimer: I'm certainly not trying to suggest that winter tyres are a scam or an unnecessary expense - just writing about my experiences so far, because the "should I be using winter tyres" question bounces around in my mind a lot! Thankfully I've blessed(?) with super cold weather today to test out the p-zeros!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smithr
Posting an update to this thread... Today the weather in KY was a lovely -4F / -20C and I took the C2S out with pirelli p-zero summer tyres. I want to stress that the road was completely dry, sun shining an sky clear but the car handled exactly the same as it does in warmer temperatures. All said I covered several hours worth of driving on a dry road at high freeway speeds (exercising caution at all times!) and I had every confidence in the car's ability to do rapid lane changes and/or emergency stops. Hopefully this helps someone in their decision to shell out $2k for winter tyres Disclaimer: I'm certainly not trying to suggest that winter tyres are a scam or an unnecessary expense - just writing about my experiences so far, because the "should I be using winter tyres" question bounces around in my mind a lot! Thankfully I've blessed(?) with super cold weather today to test out the p-zeros!
Regardless of your disclaimer, and I'm glad you made out safely, under no circumstances should anyone consider your experience as potential justification for not driving with the right tires for the road conditions. Your statements about exercising caution despite rapid lane changes and high freeway speeds are self contradicting. I don't mean to sound preachy or holier than thou but I live 6 months out of the year in ice and snow and can confidently say that if you believe you are making the right decision then you are an idiot.

Quick Reply: Winter tires in the south