991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires in the south

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014 | 02:05 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Maybe as a general note to all here, if you can afford to drive a porsche and are hemming and hawing over whether or not to buy winter tires that could potentially prevent, you know, dying, you should reevaluate things. Ultimately, you are entitled to do what you want, like drinking and driving, but don't expect innocent victims of unnecessary accidents to be understanding. First hand experience. It sucks.
Old 01-07-2014 | 09:23 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by smithr
Posting an update to this thread... Today the weather in KY was a lovely -4F / -20C and I took the C2S out with pirelli p-zero summer tyres. I want to stress that the road was completely dry, sun shining an sky clear but the car handled exactly the same as it does in warmer temperatures.

All said I covered several hours worth of driving on a dry road at high freeway speeds (exercising caution at all times!) and I had every confidence in the car's ability to do rapid lane changes and/or emergency stops.

Hopefully this helps someone in their decision to shell out $2k for winter tyres

Disclaimer: I'm certainly not trying to suggest that winter tyres are a scam or an unnecessary expense - just writing about my experiences so far, because the "should I be using winter tyres" question bounces around in my mind a lot! Thankfully I've blessed(?) with super cold weather today to test out the p-zeros!
9 degrees in Raleigh this morning. I was out in my GTS with P Zero summer tires with no issues at all.
Old 01-07-2014 | 10:26 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991999R
Maybe as a general note to all here, if you can afford to drive a porsche and are hemming and hawing over whether or not to buy winter tires that could potentially prevent, you know, dying, you should reevaluate things. Ultimately, you are entitled to do what you want, like drinking and driving, but don't expect innocent victims of unnecessary accidents to be understanding. First hand experience. It sucks.
You are right that we are entitled to do what we want. We all take risks when we get behind the wheel - and weather can change those odds materially. Based on your last two posts, I'm curious about what has happened to you. As painful as that experience may be for you, the facts there may be helpful to those of us that see the probability of an incident related to driving on summer tires in the cold as acceptable but may not have your insight on the severity of an incident.

Quick Reply: Winter tires in the south