Paint sealing versus coating ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 03:36 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint sealing versus coating ?

I would appreciate any thoughts regarding the following products:
Klasse, C-Quartz, Opticoat and G-technic.

I have 2 cars that are 10 years old with excellent paint and I plan to seal or coat my 50th arriving in a month or so. I am planning Xpel (full front).

Please let me know thoughts regarding any of the above and their use for older and new paint.

Thanks....
Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

In my opinion, the products you mentioned work best for the person that isn't interested in regular polishing and sealing/waxing. I use Opticoat on my wife's car or friends that don't want to spend two days every six months polishing. All mentioned should give maximum, long-lasting protection and good amount of "shine." The trade off is that you won't get the same "depth" or wet look and level of water beading from other more temporary solutions. Carnuba waxes tend to give the best depth but don't last as long. Sealants can last long, but won't look as nice. I've been using Sonax Polymer Net Shield lately over Menzerna Powerlock as a sealant. Believe it or not, I've had great success with Collinite 845 for $15 as a wax. I would give Phil @ Detailer Domain a call and explain what you are looking to accomplish. He can direct you best.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

My thoughts are: skip the sealant and clay, polish, wax. Money is right, no sealer can touch carnauba. Should not take more than 3 hrs to do a 991. How long it lasts depends so much on exposure to weather and care its hard to say, but the way most conscientious Porsche owners are I'd say 6 months is a minimum. My opinion, better to clay/polish/wax once per year and have the car look great most of the year than to put on a coating that will never look great. There's an old audiophile saying that comes to mind: if the first watt isn't any good, why would you want 200 more of them?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
My thoughts are: skip the sealant and clay, polish, wax. Money is right, no sealer can touch carnauba. Should not take more than 3 hrs to do a 991. How long it lasts depends so much on exposure to weather and care its hard to say, but the way most conscientious Porsche owners are I'd say 6 months is a minimum. My opinion, better to clay/polish/wax once per year and have the car look great most of the year than to put on a coating that will never look great. There's an old audiophile saying that comes to mind: if the first watt isn't any good, why would you want 200 more of them?
Well said sir.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:32 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sealant or Carnuba?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,098 Posts

I'm not really sold on coatings as I think the washing/dusting is the issue and while water may bead, it doesn't look the best due to the time between applications (and if not letting it last a long time, why bother with a coating?). I'm in the camp of clay and sealant / synthetic wax (I have been using Sonax Netshield and using it on top of my clear bra, also use meguiars ultimate, easy to work with and looks really, really good) and a light polish if needed (which is very rarely for my car). Sonax net shield is a little hard to work with but provides a really good shine. You could also top this with a pure carnuba for more shine (I use zymol), but my car is silver... so not "really" needed. This process does keep my wives red mini looking great though. BTW, Sonax works really well on the clear bra too.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

The coatings last...well...almost forever! They last and last. However, I do not use them because they do not have the 'slick' feeling that a wax or sealant has. And I like that.

There are some new products out now-coatings, that are supposed to have that feeling as well as the durability of iron. (lol) I have not experimented with them yet. Only real world use I have is with Opticoat, gtechnic and a ton of different sealants/waxes.

( On my vehicles I use the coatings on my wheels/rims. It is extremely durable. Sealants/waxes on the paint.)

Hope this helps and ads to the excellent info in the earlier posts...
Old 12-23-2013, 11:53 PM
chuck911
Race Car

There are some very fundamental problems with coatings vs wax. Waxes all share one common trait, the final step is to remove all the wax. Well not quite all. One very thin layer remains. No matter how excessively applied, all but one very fine layer is removed. This has to do with the structure and chemistry of the wax but they're all basically the same. You could even take a crayon (wax) and, pretending for a moment to be a sports car designer at GM, scribble all over a window and wipe it off with a dry towell. Eventually a very fine impossible to remove layer remains. Because the layer is so fine it follows the painted surface which is why the look is so glassy smooth.

Sealants on the other hand are applied thick and leave a thick layer over the paint. Its why they last so long. Being thick however means they'll only look glassy smooth if applied glassy smooth- which never happens. Maybe with a little color sanding....
Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 1,098 Posts

I'm guessing you're referring more to coatings? Sealants typically refer to the synthetic "waxes" that are common today. Coatings are the thing that is supposed to last "forever". I can remove a sealant/synthetic wax with a good wash with dawn and are nearly as brilliant as a good carnauba. .

Originally Posted by chuck911
There are some very fundamental problems with coatings vs wax. Waxes all share one common trait, the final step is to remove all the wax. Well not quite all. One very thin layer remains. No matter how excessively applied, all but one very fine layer is removed. This has to do with the structure and chemistry of the wax but they're all basically the same. You could even take a crayon (wax) and, pretending for a moment to be a sports car designer at GM, scribble all over a window and wipe it off with a dry towell. Eventually a very fine impossible to remove layer remains. Because the layer is so fine it follows the painted surface which is why the look is so glassy smooth.

Sealants on the other hand are applied thick and leave a thick layer over the paint. Its why they last so long. Being thick however means they'll only look glassy smooth if applied glassy smooth- which never happens. Maybe with a little color sanding....
Old 12-24-2013, 03:30 AM
chuck911
Race Car

I'm guilty of lumping all this stuff into two categories: carnauba, and non-carnauba. Granted there are hundreds (thousands?) of specialized products out there, each touting its own special features. But bottom line, if its not carnauba its #2. Or as Seinfeld said, first place loser. So yeah, coating, sealant... Jerry again: yadda yadda.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

A related topic.... at the local special import car supply shop, they have waxes (or maybe sealants, not sure) that are $150 for an 8 oz. container. What could this possibly do that a $20 one won't????
Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably nothing. There's a lot of snake oil in the car care world :-)
Old 12-24-2013, 10:20 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
+1. You made me laugh.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sealant or Carnuba?
I think it is a BMW M3. Just kidding.

Car looks great. I assume your point is you are presenting a sealant photo. If so, I can only imagine how good it would look with carnauba!

Sorry, couldn't help it, it appears I am on a roll this morning.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

That's my thought, too. I find it impossible to believe that there is some super-secret, super-magic wax formula that requires super-expensive raw materials, hence this super-expensive product.

Zirrah, gonna provide the answer??

Quick Reply: Paint sealing versus coating ?