Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Post 991 3.4L comes in for NEW Shark Werks Exhaust

The owner of this slick white Carrera wanted more bite from his ultra quiet 3.4L engine, but with most of the exhausts on the market being too loud or intrusive, opted for the simple solution we designed. This was one of the most requested products we've made in some time.

Much like the systems we make for the GT3 and DFI 2009 Carreras, this exhaust replaces just the center muffler with our CNC mandrel bent tubing and OEM-sized tubing for maximum flow with minimal side effects. The simple system reduces weight on the rear of the car and gives a 50-state emissions compliant option for those looking to get a bit more grunt without check engine lights or problems.

Hey wait a second, this one's a six er, seven speed manual transmission! The first manual 991 we've seen yet and it really drives great, definitely an improvement over the older cars. It's too bad more of these cars are not optioned this way, people are missing out on a lot of fun.

On the lift she goes...

The simple set of tools required:

We'll also need a torque wrench when we're finished.

Underneath, the bulk of the stock muffler is obvious:

Also the center area shows the same "hotspotting" we've seen on plenty of stock Porsche mufflers, because this exhaust has a restrictive pair of u-turn bends before it enters the baffled chamber.

The center to side mufffer attachment uses similar brackets to the 997.2 DFI cars:

The stock exhaust is removed and weighed:

And the Shark Werks pipe:

A savings of almost 8 lbs, right where you want it most.

And a few minutes later our pipe is installed:

Now we have a little more room:

Fast forward a few more minutes to tighten some bolts, and she's all done now!

And here's a video showing it how it sounds:

Now it sounds like a proper 911

More information about this exhaust is available here.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter

Last edited by Dan@SharkWerks; 12-16-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:37 AM
WCE
User

Received 186 Likes on 91 Posts

Looks and sounds like a great option, and can be swapped in and out by a shop about an hour!
I hope the owner of s/n 001 chimes in here with a real world review, in particular about how bad the drone is at highway speeds.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:42 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the first "mod" I am actually considering for my MT 3.4L car. I'm especially impressed that you don't have to remove the bumper, I thought that was required for any exhaust swaps. Price is reasonable too.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:37 AM
MrClean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah, that does sound proper.

Love the crackle off throttle.

And the weight reduction is always welcomed.

What, if any, rwhp gain can one expect?
Old 12-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys and glad you like the video

As for drone - I did not notice any. We were able to test at 60, 65, 70, 75 and 80. The interior was still very quiet. Since it's only a minor bump in volume when off throttle, it seems to carry that through all RPMs.

I can't confirm power gains yet. We may have dyno numbers within a few weeks.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:08 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds really good

authentic and real
Old 12-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I am the owner of this car. Had a chance to drive this weekend and love it. I was surprised how quiet and stock like it was cruising the freeway. As a matter of fact it is very stock like at partial throttle. You really notice it at full throttle and with a deeper tone at idle. You can basically control the sound with your right foot. I highly recommend this exhaust.

David
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
sounds really good

authentic and real
Thanks! We were aiming for a PSE-like factory 911 sound and not something that was going to change the intended tone too much Seems to be working well
Originally Posted by Reborn996
I am the owner of this car. Had a chance to drive this weekend and love it. I was surprised how quiet and stock like it was cruising the freeway. As a matter of fact it is very stock like at partial throttle. You really notice it at full throttle and with a deeper tone at idle. You can basically control the sound with your right foot. I highly recommend this exhaust.

David
Thanks David and so glad you like it. I'm so stoked you got a manual too... not enough people do and it's a shame because the clutch pedal/shifter feel is EXCELLENT in the 991 and for me makes it really more connected and fun. But I'm an old foagie I guess? We were really trying to go with a PSE-like set up in terms of it being "there" when you want it and you're on it and then "not-there" when you don't are just cruising etc...
Old 12-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Someone sent in a new video of their 3.4L Carrera with this exhaust and I thought some of you might want to hear it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ch...ature=youtu.be

These are in stock at the moment
Old 12-16-2015, 05:24 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks for the info. Does this work with a '14 S Coupe and if so can you share with me pricing, installed? I'm local Norcal.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, it does work with the S, but if the car has PSE it will not really change anything.

If it doesn't have PSE, it will make the car a bit louder at most RPMs and change the tone at other RPMs, but it does not re-use the vacuum actuators (that the original "S" exhaust does have) which open at certain RPMs, partially bypassing the OEM side mufflers. Our exhaust always routes through the side mufflers, so it may be quieter at some RPMs (though it'll have a more linear sound through the RPMs). Confusing I know! If you call I can explain a bit more in detail. I'll PM a price with installation.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:39 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 220 Posts

I had this on my 14' 991 Carrera. Superb.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:21 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been looking for something like this!
Old 12-17-2015, 08:45 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkster
I'm so stoked you got a manual too... not enough people do and it's a shame because the clutch pedal/shifter feel is EXCELLENT in the 991 and for me makes it really more connected and fun.
The clutch/pedal shifter feel is AWFUL in the 991. But that's what you get when you have a 7SPD manual that is grafted on to a PDK gearbox as an afterthought instead of a ground up manual like the 6SPD on the 981. Nobody is fond of the 991 7SPD manual. Least of all Porsche who redid it on the GTS cars. Sorry but it's true.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
The clutch/pedal shifter feel is AWFUL in the 991. But that's what you get when you have a 7SPD manual that is grafted on to a PDK gearbox as an afterthought instead of a ground up manual like the 6SPD on the 981. Nobody is fond of the 991 7SPD manual. Least of all Porsche who redid it on the GTS cars. Sorry but it's true.
No need to be sorry and yep we know that's what they did to save money. Even though it took them until the GTS / GT4 to make a specific manual gear box I'm glad they still had one. Have you felt the clutch and stick feel in a 996 TT, 997 TT or Carrera 997.1? They were pretty poor in stock form (could be fixed of course) and I think the pedal/clutch feel is much better than it was in those cars at least. Call me old fashioned and stuff but I just always prefer to have three pedals and a stick. Gives me something to do, enjoy and engage with vs pushing buttons. Half your body is disconnected from the car... For me it's just hard to connect with a car like that. OK taking my grumpy old man hat off...

It has 7 speeds? Hah stopped at 6... (j/k).

Quick Reply: 991 3.4L comes in for NEW Shark Werks Exhaust