So close...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 06:58 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default So close...

Hello everyone!
This is my first post to Rennlist! I have been a long-time member over on the Cayman website, having owned three different 987.1 S cars. I was this close to pulling the trigger on a new 991 S, but after reading many of the posts on this board, I realized I wasn't getting such a great deal, especially on a 'leftover'. Car msrp was $125 and they were only coming down to $114. Based on what I read, I thought this was a little light so I am still trying to work out the deal. I am trading in my 2013 Audi S5 as well as my 2008 Cayman S Sport. I love my Cayman (I've had three in past seven years) but have always lusted for a 911. One ride in this 991 S was all it took.

I will post all the details about the car if I can get deal to work out on Monday, hence the title of my thread. it is a 7-speed MT, and has SportDesign (ducktail) package.

I do have a couple of basic questions (pardon my naïveté):
1. This car will be my daily driver, at least for a little while, and will probably be close to 500 miles a week. How good a DD is this car?

2. I live in NJ (work in Philly - reason for mileage). I'm assuming I will need winter tires. Do most swap tires on the existing wheels or spring for a new wheel/tire package?

3. I never had the clearbra on any of my Caymans, but after 40k miles on my Cayman S Sport, I can see that I probably should've gone that route (especially on an orange car). Do most do the half-kit, or the full hood? I don't want to see any lines, so I would lean towards the full hood. 991 is white, if that makes a difference. Also, would you have dealer do it, or a local installer?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any help!

Frank

PS - I am in Ulm, Germany right now and am hoping to make it to Stuttgart tomorrow to visit the Porsche museum!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Congrats. Welcome to RL. Hope you strike a good deal soon.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:06 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I think they make great daily drivers, but I would prefer a PDK for dealing with traffic and on the track. While I don't drive mine every day, I enjoy it every day that I drive it. I also have a clear bra and recommend that for paint preservation. I figure I will change it every 3-4 years (it is almost 2 years old now).

As I live in sunny CA, I don't think much about snow tires, but I would have two sets of wheels if I did.

Good luck getting the deal you want from the dealer! I am sure you will love it even if you pay a couple grand more than you really hoped.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds familiar, I went from a Boxster which I enjoyed regularly on the track to a fully optioned 991S. Have to say I LOVE IT! Don't miss the M/T- the PDK is fantastic even in auto! I store it for the winter so the snows are on the Subaru.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:27 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people who drive Porsche's in the winter have a second set of wheels with snow tires mounted.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOutside
I am trading in my 2013 Audi S5 ... One ride in this 991 S was all it took.
I did exactly the same thing with a 2013 Audi S5. Great car.

That one 991 test drive...grr. hehe!

Welcome and congrats in advance
Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 PM
DBYT
Pro

For our winters in the Northeast, you will definitely need to have winter tyres on the 991 if you are using it as a daily driver. The difference in on road grip is night and day. Best to get dedicated winter wheels and tyres. Your dealer should have a tyre club deal where they will store your wheels etc for you and do a couple of changes a year for a couple hundred.

For clear bra, definitely go full hood. Lancaster Auto Graphics do amazing work and will cost you less than what the dealers charge.
62 Doe Run Rd, Manheim, PA
(717) 665-6964
Old 12-15-2013, 07:45 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DBYT
For our winters in the Northeast, you will definitely need to have winter tyres on the 991 if you are using it as a daily driver. The difference in on road grip is night and day. Best to get dedicated winter wheels and tyres. Your dealer should have a tyre club deal where they will store your wheels etc for you and do a couple of changes a year for a couple hundred.

For clear bra, definitely go full hood. Lancaster Auto Graphics do amazing work and will cost you less than what the dealers charge.
62 Doe Run Rd, Manheim, PA
(717) 665-6964
^^ what he said, dealers normally give it to the locals but charge you more concerning clear bra, but definitely full hood hood for sure, have to get winter tires for dd in winter, and enjoy your new ride.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:10 PM
new GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A suggestion on pricing: work on the trade allowance too. Sometimes it's easier to get them to move up on that rather than down on the price and the net effect is the same and you have a lot of trading material to work with.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can only comment on question 1 about being a good daily driver, and can answer with a resounding YES!
I traded in two cars for mine too and 15 months/27K miles later I'm still a happy camper. The 991 can be a docile, luxurious commuter, a high-speed highway GT, and a rorty sports car all in one. Plus one on the manual too, I do not regret skipping PDK at all.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOutside
I am trading in my 2013 Audi S5 as well as my 2008 Cayman S Sport.
Sell both of these on your own. Become a paid Rennlist Member, and you can list them here. The Cayman for sure. Then negotiate, negotiate, and negotiate some more on your 991 purchase. This will result in the best net-net outcome, but will require a little work on your end.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

So just got off phone with dealer. They 'found' another $2000 they could reduce price and bumped my S5 trade-in by $2000. I'm going to sign all the paperwork on Friday. I'll believe it's real when it's in my driveway and will then post the option list as well as a picture.

On a side note, I was at the Porsche Museum yesterday. What an awesome display! I have pictures on my iPhone that I will post here later. I'm in London until Thursday.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 AM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Congrats in advance! So was that a price adjustment of $2000 or $4000 compared to what they offered the other day?
Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations and welcome. Safe travels and good luck with everything
Old 12-21-2013, 10:54 AM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

I closed the deal yesterday! There's a brand new, albeit model year 2013, 991S in my garage right now. Was hard to let go of my Cayman S Sport, but I really in a bit of a pinch regarding storage and have to start , so for me, trading in the Audi and the 987.1 does help me out. Plus I get to drive a 991 everyday now. Not so tough... :-). I bought this car on December 7, so it was technically a birthday present to me.

A couple of questions:
1. Break-in. I believe manual says to keep RPMs below 4600 for the first 1000 miles, and to vary the RPM you drive at. Is this the practice most follow? Dealer told me to drive it like I stole it.

2. Clearbra. I opted for the clearbra option since this car is going to average about 1500 miles a month and I know the nose will take a beating. They are doing the full hod (they had a Speed Yellow 991 on the floor with only half the hood done and it looked terrible. They said that was done by Porsche Corporate, and not Jack Daniels (dealer I went through). I've never had a clearbra before, so what is the maintenance like? Do you wash/wax it the same as if the car didn't have it? Can it be removed/replaced if you keep the car a long time?

3. Porsche options. This car has a bunch of options, but the two that it does not have that I liked in my CS were the Adaptive Sport Seats and the Porsche Sport Exhaust? I know there are probably aftermarket exhausts (i had an AWE kit on my first CS and it sounded great) out there for this car, but can I add the PSE after the fact? Same question about the seats. I have the Premium Package Plus with the 14-way seats.

Car is tucked away until the new year (I'm leaving for vacation today). Thanks!!

Quick Reply: So close...