Sponsored by:

Just picked up my 991 - help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:48 PM
LiteWait
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up my 991 - help please

Hey all. I am new to the rennlist forums (although I have been a Porsche owner and enthusiast since May 2010 when I picked up my first 1984 3.2 Carrera) so I am still struggling with navigating the site. I hope this is a good place to post this.

I picked up my 2014 911 Carrera S two weeks ago and I am afraid I may not have broken in the car properly. One thing that has me a bit nervous is that when I shift into 2nd below 3,200 rpm, (say 2,000 rpm) and get on the gas a little bit the car seems nervous. It seems nervous as in the acceleration is not what I would consider smooth. It seems like it hesitates and jerks until it gets up to about 4,000 rpm. Is this normal? Do I just not know how to drive the car yet? Am I crazy?

Any advice would really be helpful since I am freaking out a little bit. I already spent a good chunk of dough having the entire car covered in XPEL and C-Quartz Finest and applying Huper-Optik 40 tint.

Edit: Should also mention I installed clear corners since even I know that's a big faux pas. I'll post pictures later once the weather gets better.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:09 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

The car is fine, as long as you are not hearing any strange mechanical noise. Mine did that too. Congrats and enjoy your new ride. By the way, new car announcements here require pictures to be posted.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forums, and yes this is the correct spot to post.

That doesn't sound right to me. Is the car a PDK or a manual? Could you have accidentally put in non premium gas, or maybe you got some bad gas? Also, I believe there was an issue with bad spark plug coil packs awhile back. After running through a new tank of gas I would take it to the dealer.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Does not sound normal.

How many miles are on car now?

I don't think it is related to your brake-in. But, how have you been doing your brake-in process?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 PM
LiteWait
AutoX

Thanks for the responses, guys.

@Justin N: It is a manual transmission. I usually keep it in sport plus mode but I can still feel the the nervousness when it is not in sport plus mode. Sport plus mode just seems to accentuate the feeling. I should mention that the jerkyness is not really that noticeable. At fist I thought it was bumps on the road but found a really smooth road to test a few things. Definitely experience nervous laggyness. No way did I put non premium gas in unless the gas station screwed me. I'll try a different gas station since I've only used the same one since I got the car.

@LexVan: Right now I have 550 miles. I am breaking in the car by trying to keep it under 4200 RPM and babying it until it gets up to operating temp. Also varying the RPMs as much as possible on the highway.

I am nervous about not having broken the car in properly because one day it wasn't up to operating temp (car was running for maybe 3-4 minutes) with about 200 miles and I forgot what I was doing and took the car up to just over 6,000 rpm WOT through first and second gear.

Appreciate the help guys.

@ny991: pics to come soon, of both cars together.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by LiteWait
I am nervous about not having properly broken the car in properly because one day it wasn't up to operating temp (car was running for maybe 3-4 minutes) with about 200 miles and I forgot what I was doing and took the car up to just over 6,000 rpm WOT through first and second gear.

Appreciate the help guys.

@ny991: pics to come soon, of both cars together.
This is no big deal.

You know how to drive a stick, right? Don't take this the wrong way. This isn't your first manual trans?

Can you describe the problem better. When you say "nervous" I just have a hard time computing that analogy.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

That's exactly what my car does, although mine is a PDK and I was very careful with the break in. Here's a long thread about this exact issue. Some feel it and some don't.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-2500-rpm.html
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In my 2013 991 (manual) I also have some hesitation or jerkiness around 2300 RPM when accelerating up to higher RPMs. I posted about it here but was told I was lugging the engine so I gave up trying to get advice about it :-). I was very careful in my break-in period as well.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

I have a 991 C4S that I'm also breaking in (~700 miles so far). Yes, I think the engine is quite rough between 2,000 and 3,000, although it does seem to be 'loosening up' over time - or maybe I'm getting use to it.

There is a thread about manual cars having a camshaft sensor update that you might also be hitting:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7556...-starting.html

I would not worry about occasionally using more revs during break-in, these cars are used for demos and driving training without being broken in and have no adverse conditions later in their life.

Andy
Old 12-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

I can't image that a few minor instances of high RPM during the break-in period would be of any consequence. Just don't make it a habit.

At least you can be thankful that you don't have the problem of that other guy who posted a couple weeks ago.. he found a loose thread on the steering wheel leather of his 991!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 AM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

receive mine late last month, and haven't put up much miles on it, but I haven't notice any rough or jerky motion on the vehicle, in fact its kinda smooth transmision comparing to the bmw 1M I drove everyday. Maybe you can post a video of the situation you are talking about so the guys here can have a better understanding.
By the way, I took the car over 5k rpm on the highway 2 times and 6k rpm 1x, so no harm there, trying to varying the rpm, car still run smooth as silk.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keeping the car in Sport Plus doesn't sound like the best way to break-in the engine, at least not in a PDK where you shouldn't really get up over 5000rpm for the first 2000 miles.
I guess in the manual transmission, managing the RPMs is entirely under your control.

I suspect the car would feel smoother to you in regular or sport mode...perhaps waiting to use sport plus for after break-in and when you are driving hard or on the track
Old 12-14-2013, 01:41 AM
LiteWait
AutoX

@LexVan: The only other manual transmission I have is my 84 3.2 Carrera and it's funny because I can drive that thing smooth as glass. But that is why I was originally saying maybe I just don't know how to drive the 991 yet (I also mentioned I could be crazy). Anyways to answer your question about what I mean by "nervous", it kind of feels like the car is going over small bumps. That's why I went to find a smooth road. The engine sounds smooth but the car is a bit jerky in second gear from 2,000 - 3,000 rpm when you get on the gas a bit.

Thanks for the other threads, guys. I'll take a look and update.

Last edited by LiteWait; 12-14-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:17 AM
LiteWait
AutoX

@mtony: Wow I am reading through that other thread you posted the link to. On page 3 you described the problem just the same as I have - "Feels like hitting small bumps". Other guys talk about it feeling like "noticeable skips in smooth power delivery" - I would agree with that also.

All I can say is I feel a lot more relieved that it isn't from anything I did to the car.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:26 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to let you all know, there is no way of knowing whether your new Porsche has ever been revved higher than what is called for during the break in period.
I say this because today I took out a brand new 2014 Carrera S PDK for a test drive and I drove it spiritedly, for sure revving the engine past 6000K.
I was also told that all engines are tested at the factory to various rpms, so I don't think for a second that occasionally revving the engine higher than the recommended by Porsche would hurt it one bit.
One salesperson said that you should break in a Porsche like you intend to drive it.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my 991 - help please