Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purposefully lower profile

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:28 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Location, location, location. My car turns heads around here. I've seen 1 other 991 in my city, and it had FL plates. Corvettes are pretty common. Ferraris and Lambos are non-existent.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mi650
Location, location, location. My car turns heads around here. I've seen 1 other 991 in my city, and it had FL plates. Corvettes are pretty common. Ferraris and Lambos are non-existent.
Yeah you're absolutely right. Up in Oregon taking care of a family member and driving a 991 around here would also be a head turner. In fact I've yet to see a 991 here at all yet and it's going on three weeks. Have seen a few older 911's - emphasis on few.

Newport Beach is definitely an alternate reality. For car nuts like us - its a fun place to live.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:35 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Location +1! Group of us driving to Parade stopped a couple times in very small towns for lunch or gas. Almost every time people would come out and gaze in awe and admiration at our 10-20 year old cars. Meanwhile at Pebble Beach they'd sooner die than reveal any sense of even noticing your 991, as they are so far above all that....
Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,036 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by No Heel No Toe
i chose a agate grey c2s for just this reason
Same here. Anthracite brown. Still attracts attention though. I just try not to look at people!

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
At Cars and Coffee I try to park between a MB SLS and an orange Mercy-O-Laggo, both with their doors open.

That way I am invisible.

But it is annoying when people stand on my car to take pictures.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

1. I bought the car because I loved the way it drove
2. I picked the color I wanted without any other considerations (racing yellow)
3. The tinted windows provide me with sufficient privacy
4. Couldn't care less about too much attention or a lack thereof
5. I'm generally oblivious to to other cars and the people driving the cars, unless it's a red Ferrari.....
Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bacura
I agree about the convertible. It's one of three main reasons I wouldn't buy a Cab is that I don't like people looking in. Other 2 reasons are lack of really nice days in Toronto and the decreased structural rigidity.
You forgot #4: bird poop. Either on the seats with the top down or on the fabric roof.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Originally Posted by handful
5. I'm generally oblivious to to other cars and the people driving the cars, unless it's a red Ferrari.....
Don't get me wrong here - it's not like I decided on the 991 just because I wanted to be anonymous, and for no other reason. Not like that at all. I chose it first and foremost because of its stellar engineering and exquisite design. I also happen to like black. It just worked out, by the nature of where I live I suppose, that a black Porsche is as common as grains of sand on the nearby beaches. So I happened to get it all - a car I absolutely love to drive, as well as much appreciated anonymity. Yes, it was conscious that I went with a 991 as opposed to another Ferrari - that much was definitely on purpose for the reasons in my original post.

By the way, your racing yellow 991 is gorgeous. It's not like I don't appreciate cars in bright colors anymore Just not for me, that's all. A 991 in any color under the rainbow is gorgeous in my opinion. Okay, maybe except for a hot pink one
Old 12-03-2013, 10:35 PM
dkim12
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It took me a loooong time to make my decision on a P car, and it came down to which car is the most classy. Yes, performance is extremely important, but I don't drive my cars hard or track them (which may change soon.) When I get the occasional thumbs up from people around me, I feel like they are giving me a thumbs up on my taste in cars more than the actual car itself. Also, my age was a huge factor in what car to buy. I'm somewhat young, and some cars scream "bought with mommy's money" or more tragically "total D-bag."

R8- not as flashy as a Ferrari (not that I can afford one), mostly driven in NJ and NY by night club owners and guys wearing Versace logo shirts. I have seen a good number of R8s and their owners...the only time I thought it looked classy is when an 50+ white-haired gentleman in a suit got out of one when I was at the bank.

Merc SL63- new model is ugly and AMGs are overpriced. Range of people drive it...Wall Street bankers, club owners, guys who wear massive clocks on their wrist, and asian guys who put a 63 badge on a 550.

M5- looks like a M-sport 550i or 535i, but it was definitely in the running. My wife loved the car with full leather interior. I've only seen 1 around, and the guy looked nice driving it.

Sometimes I do want to get noticed and want people to realize that a very classy looking car is in their immediate vicinity but that's an easy fix...dropping the top and in 30 degree weather always get noticed haha.

BTW, being on other car forums, definitely noticed a difference in P car members. Humble people who don't like to show off or need to show off. That being said, I too would love a red Ferrari. F12 please.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:53 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by handful

these were my choices of colors

997.1 Cab - RS Orange (not avaiable), Guard Red (too girly according to my wife), picked Speed Yellow

991 - Mexico Blue (couldn't confirm delivery date), picked Racing Yellow.

and I have/ had 4 red cars and 1 purple car...

Quick Reply: Purposefully lower profile