Sponsored by:

Purposefully lower profile

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purposefully lower profile

I'm curious, as I can't be the only one on here who's done this. Or maybe I just am the nutty professor on here, who knows

Used to drive a Ferrari, red of course. It got to the point for me where I was almost embarrassed to drive it. Sounds a little insane to some folks I'm sure. But I love cars - and I appreciated it as a machine.

I didn't buy it to attract attention, but of course that's what it did. It's not the way I move through space to seek out being the "center of the universe" kind of thing. All of the head turns and gawking grated on me. Yeah I know, everyone should have such problems, and I should shut up already. Anyway, it got to the point I basically never drove it. Then sold it without a single regret.

I got the 991 because its a marvel of both engineering and design, first and foremost. But I was definitely thinking I like how understated it is so I'm going forward with this. Blacked out my windows and I feel gloriously anonymous. I also realize that thinking a Porsche 991 is understated may be crazy - but welcome to Newport Beach. My homies down here know exactly what I'm taking about. Every third car is a Bentley or a Rolls or something like that. Okay, maybe not every third car - but there are frequent days where it sure seems that way.

So I'm assuming we all appreciate the marvel of engineering and design that the 991 embodies - except for some obvious Chevy trolls But anyone else on here consciously choose, as one component of your decision making process, to get into a 991 because of how understated it is? Or is Newport Beach that much of a crazy alternate reality?

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've sold a few cars due to unwanted, ongoing attention. Loved the cars, did not enjoy the attention.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Originally Posted by CBejbl
I've sold a few cars due to unwanted, ongoing attention. Loved the cars, did not enjoy the attention.
Exactly the same for me. I'm loving my 991 way more than my Ferrari though, and not only because I feel anonymous in it.

As I'm moving through life, the people I've respected most have all shared some strikingly similar qualities - humility, intelligence, kindness, generosity, a developed sense of taste, and the lack of any desire - other than their innate way of being and actions - to be the center of attention.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Too much attention can be undesirable. Even a Porsche can attract a lot of attention. Sometimes attention can equal vandalism or nasty comments. As a matter of interest, what model Ferrari did you have?. Red Enzo's tend to attract a crowd. I have seen 2 in Toronto. Sometimes driving to work (a lot of high end vehicles along the route I travel) a Ferrari/Lambo/R8 will pass me and I see all eyes on that car and not mine. I understand what you are saying. We have all been there....stopped at a red light at a busy intersection...pedestrians looking at you as you turn away to avoid eye contact.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Well you are going to get attention but at least the car isn't jumping up and down waving frantically while lighting fireworks and shouting look at me like something from, you know, GM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:31 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
Well you are going to get attention but at least the car isn't jumping up and down waving frantically while lighting fireworks and shouting look at me like something from, you know, GM.
Yeah seriously If I had a C7 I'd probably be in therapy right now.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bacura
As a matter of interest, what model Ferrari did you have?. Red Enzo's tend to attract a
No Enzo for me 348 spider. Kept it in showroom condition. Not a model that will likely go down in Ferrari history as a collector - but I liked it. I don't much care for the newer generation Ferrari's. The Dino is one of my favorites though - the curves on that model are stunning.

Last edited by CaliforniaZombie; 12-03-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 PM
O5C4R
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i chose a agate grey c2s for just this reason
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 176 Posts

I agree with the OP. Cars like the Audi R10 V10+ or a used Ferrari were less appealing because of the

factor. I like the idea of a car that visually under-promises and kinetically over-delivers.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
I got the 991 because its a marvel of both engineering and design, first and foremost. But I was definitely thinking I like how understated it is

So I'm assuming we all appreciate the marvel of engineering and design that the 991 embodies - except for some obvious Chevy trolls But anyone else on here consciously choose, as one component of your decision making process, to get into a 991 because of how understated it is?
Like you, I love the 991 for its engineering and design. And I love it's dual personality. A beast in Sport mode with PSE enabled when I feel like it. But at the other end of the spectrum I adore how I can literally sail past people (cars, bikes, pedestrians), in normal mode, PSE off, without anyone even noticing me !

And that's with a white car with platinum wheels, not really understated to begin with !

Just before signing up for my 991, I had an opportunity to get a Gallardo Superleggera for less money than the 991. Toyed with the idea for a few minutes, as I loooooooove that car. But honestly, I couldn't live with that car, I'd hate the attention that it would bring ! I like it understated for myself, I'm an under the radar kind of guy !
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by No Heel No Toe
i chose a agate grey c2s for just this reason
Ha, ha! Me too! I really wanted a red one but didn't want it screaming "look at me!"
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hated the attention I got with my old Mercedes SL. One reason I didn't buy a 911 Cab. Just felt too exposed with the top down and all the staring. I still get lots of looks and comments in the 991 but since I have roof around me, it doesn't seem to bother me as much. I'm surprised a Ferrari would garner such attention in Newport. I've been there several times and the sheer volume of expensive cars is unreal. Would have thought you'd blend in more.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree about the convertible. It's one of three main reasons I wouldn't buy a Cab is that I don't like people looking in. Other 2 reasons are lack of really nice days in Toronto and the decreased structural rigidity.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:40 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
Hated the attention I got with my old Mercedes SL. One reason I didn't buy a 911 Cab. Just felt too exposed with the top down and all the staring. I still get lots of looks and comments in the 991 but since I have roof around me, it doesn't seem to bother me as much. I'm surprised a Ferrari would garner such attention in Newport. I've been there several times and the sheer volume of expensive cars is unreal. Would have thought you'd blend in more.
It was a convertible also, which is probably the reason why. That particular model of Ferrari looked gorgeous in convertible form, versus the hard top. Night and day difference. Anyway, maybe it was more of a convertible thing. I also was conscious of that when I ordered my 991 - didn't even want a sunroof Perhaps compensating a little too much in the other direction. I dunno - I don't miss not having a sunroof either, so the choice worked for me.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

At Cars and Coffee I try to park between a MB SLS and an orange Mercy-O-Laggo, both with their doors open.

That way I am invisible.

But it is annoying when people stand on my car to take pictures.

Quick Reply: Purposefully lower profile