Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious About Your Recommended Design Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
At least 400hp in the base model.
Not gunna happen. Not the 991 series, anyway.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I love the 991 headlights! The DRLs on the other hand....

I'd like to see them continue to knock some weight out of the car. More use of aluminum, high strength steel and even carbon and magnesium. It would be great if they could get the S down to 2800 wet. I'd like to see a proper LSD and be able to fit 18" wheels. I mean 20s, really? Even the massive new brakes look silly behind these. Have a zero cost option to keep the rear seats in the GT3. You have the space, might as well use it. They weigh very little, and if you are going to have a 2 seater just go mid engine already. I'm sure tons of people read my wants and think "what an idiot, who would ever want that?" But in the end I guess Porsche does know what they're doing, getting people with such disparate desires/needs in a car to all buy the same models by offering a VAST array of options.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Recommended design updates? See the new Corvette. Keep not doing that.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

A quick disconnect wheel so I can climb through the window easier.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:25 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with almost everything on Noah's list. I'm also hoping that with the 991.2, the cost of some of the options comes down a bit (e.g., LED headlights). Wishful thinking, I know.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
At least 400hp in the base model.
I agree, and the S should be the Powerkit without the cost increase...

I would also like to see the infotainment? software updated, or even better replace it completely with an iPad mini (with retina display of course), make it so you can set it to auto update when you get home and park it in your garage and it can access your WiFi, and give it a cell connection for things like traffic updates while on the road. In fact with a system like that the possibilities are really endless.

I personally would like to see a much lighter no frills option with non PASM adjustable suspension, standard Powerkit, a manual transmission, and seats suited to tracking. Maybe that is supposed to be the GT3...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Gene G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see the sport mirrors as standard across the model line.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Almost all of the wish-list items I have on my 981BS would apply to the 991 as well. Worth mentioning here because a 991.2 will probably be my next car:

- Provide manual frunk release for easier access to battery.

- Offer an optional compact spare tire solution of some kind.

- Reduce amount of force needed to close frunk.

- Provide front/rear cameras, or at least reorient the ultrasonic sensors to allow them to detect low curbs.

- Update nav/sound system to current mobile industry standards.

- Lose the electronic parking brake, or at least make it activate automatically (and deactivate without a clunk/lurch).

- Allow customer to enable/disable hill hold feature on manuals. Doesn't affect me personally but it was one factor that encouraged me to go with PDK.

- Likewise, allow customer to enable/disable rev matching independently of Sport/Sport+ mode selection.

- Don't force customers to choose between Sport Design paddles and MF wheel options.

- Reduce throttle return spring tension, or remove the secondary spring altogether.

- Allow PDK to disable sequential downshifts under braking in Auto mode. This pointless feature is probably my only real complaint about PDK. Suggest enabling it in Sport+ mode only.

- Lower volume of horn when locking doors, refine the sound, and allow customer to enable/disable it without PIWIS.

- Provide single .PDF download for owner's manual.

- Provide .PDF download for service manual. (Also, I want a pony for Christmas)

- Implement one-touch top up/down control for convertible models. Should not require $200 add-on for this.

- Likewise, front grill guards should be standard on all models.

- Preserve settings of ALL console buttons between drive cycles, not just some of them.

- Lose the analog speedometer in favor of more useful gauges. Not an issue for 991 models but would be appreciated in 981.

- First World Problem department: heated steering wheel and seats don't seem to work very consistently. Sometimes the steering wheel heat is almost undetectable, other times it works fine.

- Gear indicator on manual transmission should reflect the gate selection before clutch engagement, not after. Doesn't affect me but it's a real forehead-slapper.

- (981 only) Allow customer to order a black tachometer face on the 'S' model. The silver face is ridiculously hard to read. I assume this isn't a problem on the 991S?

- Currently less than half of the engine's RPM range ends up being needed in normal street driving. I'd probably leave 7th as-is, and spread out the 2-6 ratios a bit more. I don't know if this applies to the 991 or not, but I've seen other people mention it.
are you an 86lb child or 97 year old?

a buick may be more to your liking
Old 11-21-2013, 02:54 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
are you an 86lb child or 97 year old?

a buick may be more to your liking
Might want to check your DNS server... www.corvetteforum.com should be 98.158.195.37.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I live in a land of winter ravaged roadways, and my Carrera with the base suspension and comfort pressured 19" tires rides worlds better than my 996TT but can still be uncomfortably stiff on a rough highway. I personally would get more enjoyment out of the car with a truly wide variable suspension. While I didn't opt for it, my impression of PASM during a test drive was it simply takes the shocks from stiff to stiffer. I know this is really limited by the spring rates, so maybe they need to move in the direction Mclaren went with variable air springs?
My car certainly has plenty of ride height and wheel travel, so why not have the option of letting the suspension use it give a smooth ride when I select to have it that way?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM
RIndy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Center console design/buttons should be tailored to your options.
Empty spaces let the interior down.

Quick Reply: Curious About Your Recommended Design Updates?