Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious About Your Recommended Design Updates?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Curious About Your Recommended Design Updates?

If you had input to Porsche’s design process what design changes would you recommend for future model years of the 991
Old 11-20-2013, 01:08 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally am happy with the 991 in its present guise. I'm pretty sure the 991.2 will follow typical Porsche fashion and have small horsepower bumps for all variations, new wheel choices, cosmetic facelifts, and some new options. Never say never but I'm thinking that nothing that could be coming would be enough in itself for me to swap.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MT available for all models.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:03 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PMAA
If you had input to Porsche’s design process what design changes would you recommend for future model years of the 991
The reality is not much can be done and keep it a rear engine 2+2 design. It has already been lengthened, widened, lowered and driveline shifted towards the center.
Smaller (2 seater) is Cayman or CGT, bigger is rear engine Panny.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PMAA
I would call Tom Peters and ask for his help.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Almost all of the wish-list items I have on my 981BS would apply to the 991 as well. Worth mentioning here because a 991.2 will probably be my next car:

- Provide manual frunk release for easier access to battery.

- Offer an optional compact spare tire solution of some kind.

- Reduce amount of force needed to close frunk.

- Provide front/rear cameras, or at least reorient the ultrasonic sensors to allow them to detect low curbs.

- Update nav/sound system to current mobile industry standards.

- Lose the electronic parking brake, or at least make it activate automatically (and deactivate without a clunk/lurch).

- Allow customer to enable/disable hill hold feature on manuals. Doesn't affect me personally but it was one factor that encouraged me to go with PDK.

- Likewise, allow customer to enable/disable rev matching independently of Sport/Sport+ mode selection.

- Don't force customers to choose between Sport Design paddles and MF wheel options.

- Reduce throttle return spring tension, or remove the secondary spring altogether.

- Allow PDK to disable sequential downshifts under braking in Auto mode. This pointless feature is probably my only real complaint about PDK. Suggest enabling it in Sport+ mode only.

- Lower volume of horn when locking doors, refine the sound, and allow customer to enable/disable it without PIWIS.

- Provide single .PDF download for owner's manual.

- Provide .PDF download for service manual. (Also, I want a pony for Christmas)

- Implement one-touch top up/down control for convertible models. Should not require $200 add-on for this.

- Likewise, front grill guards should be standard on all models.

- Preserve settings of ALL console buttons between drive cycles, not just some of them.

- Lose the analog speedometer in favor of more useful gauges. Not an issue for 991 models but would be appreciated in 981.

- First World Problem department: heated steering wheel and seats don't seem to work very consistently. Sometimes the steering wheel heat is almost undetectable, other times it works fine.

- Gear indicator on manual transmission should reflect the gate selection before clutch engagement, not after. Doesn't affect me but it's a real forehead-slapper.

- (981 only) Allow customer to order a black tachometer face on the 'S' model. The silver face is ridiculously hard to read. I assume this isn't a problem on the 991S?

- Currently less than half of the engine's RPM range ends up being needed in normal street driving. I'd probably leave 7th as-is, and spread out the 2-6 ratios a bit more. I don't know if this applies to the 991 or not, but I've seen other people mention it.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Thats quite a list. I agree with most of them.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

My bad, I thought the OP wanted input on the design, not the functions, operations and options.....? If that is the case mostly what Noah said. : D
Old 11-20-2013, 04:29 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the running / parking lights on the front of the Turbo a bit better than the other 991 variants. Otherwise the 991 styling is darn near perfect!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Get rid of the little hump/bump for satellite radio. Get rid of park assist bumper dimples.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:38 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love it just the way it is. Is something wrong with me?
Old 11-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
My bad, I thought the OP wanted input on the design, not the functions, operations and options.....? If that is the case mostly what Noah said. : D
I tend to see "design" as encompassing all of these items. There's an underlying aesthetic behind every technical decision that's visible to the user. Companies like Porsche and Apple (at least pre-iOS 7) get that, while their competitors only see the numbers.

As far as curves and edges in the sheet metal, no complaints there. Most of the things I'd argue for, like lower beltlines, are driven by regulatory compromises rather than artistic ones.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Get rid of the little hump/bump for satellite radio. Get rid of park assist bumper dimples.
I thought about mentioning that, but it doesn't bother me that much, and the satellite reception is already not the best. If I asked for better reception I'd risk getting a bigger antenna hump. If I asked for a smaller antenna I'd get even worse reception. So it seemed smarter not to complain.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:26 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Window switches on drivers side are too small.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
- First World Problem department:
Becuase the others weren't?

(I agree with much of your list).

Pure aesthetics -- I would prefer a slightly different headlight treatment. I know Mr. Mauer wants to emphasize "super car wide" but the headlights are too far apart, pushed out too wide, IMHO.

(I apologize in advance for joining the "they don't make 'em like they used to club, but the 997 had better balanced headlights -- both positioning and the more traditional 911-looking shape (sans the "bulge").

I would prefer a bit more fender flare and the lights a bit closer together. I think this would look more 911 (RSR perhaps, but still) and less 356:

Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

At least 400hp in the base model.

Quick Reply: Curious About Your Recommended Design Updates?