Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link discussing the same annoying issues on the 991:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-may-help.html
Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear some noises coming from the engine area too. Mechanical noises. Not sure what those are. This being our first Porsche, I can't tell if those are normal or not.

Talking about noises (this is different from the above), just lately I noticed I can hear debris hitting the bottom of the car all the time. Little stones, etc. Stuff the tires pick up. It is so noticeable that I actually laid under the car to check if a bottom cover is missing. We had a PDK replaced not long ago and my initial thought was something did not get installed. But everything seems to be in place as far as I can tell.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
Talking about noises (this is different from the above), just lately I noticed I can hear debris hitting the bottom of the car all the time. Little stones, etc. Stuff the tires pick up. It is so noticeable that I actually laid under the car to check if a bottom cover is missing. We had a PDK replaced not long ago and my initial thought was something did not get installed. But everything seems to be in place as far as I can tell.
Yep, big fat sticky hot tires can do that. Are you running spacers too?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexVan
Nope. All stock. It is a lease. I got big tires on my BMW 550i as well, but I rarely hear stones hitting. But in the 991 I sit closer to the wheels. As long you hear them too it is all good. I don't mind, just something I've noticed.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Front noises, most likely low profile tire rumble at caster angle. In the back, just an unbroken in engine. Our C2 sounded like a block party when we started out on June 17th, now 13K later purrs like a kitten, very silent. my advice long trips, that's what we did, and it works wonders for performance.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:48 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Key Left
Front noises, most likely low profile tire rumble at caster angle. In the back, just an unbroken in engine. Our C2 sounded like a block party when we started out on June 17th, now 13K later purrs like a kitten, very silent. my advice long trips, that's what we did, and it works wonders for performance.
I hope so, last night made a sharp low speed turn in the driveway and the front suspension growled and crackled at us. Temperature around 43 deg F. Never heard this before. This I believe is the infamous "driving on acorns" syndrome.
Annoying to say the least.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I forgot and left an empty BBQ propane cylinder in mine, and I thought the suspension was falling apart.

I am glad i didn't forget these bags of stone rubble in there when I took them to the landfill:
Old 11-22-2013, 02:39 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

50/50 weight distribution?
Old 11-22-2013, 03:56 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen

I am glad i didn't forget these bags of stone rubble in there when I took them to the landfill:

Classic !

Almost as good as the picture of the guy in Colorado who filled his new convertible Saleen Mustang full to the top of the doors with bags of manure.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:49 PM
dreamerstudio
AutoX

Could those spacers be cause of the noise?
Old 09-14-2016, 05:50 PM
dreamerstudio
AutoX

Originally Posted by LexVan
Old 09-14-2016, 05:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamerstudio
Don't think so, unless they were the improper kind, that weren't hub centric (or whatever the term is).

My point is, that the spacers push the wheels and tires further out, allowing more road debris to hit (make noise) the side of the car, vs staying in the wheel well area that has some black plastic to cushion the blows.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:08 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Just another data point here... My 2015 C2 w/13k miles is creak-free. I am always amazed at how quiet it is going over speed bumps.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:47 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Guys! I really need your help here!

885 miles. Friday evening out..........turned down the stereo to hear the music of the engine on the way home. ('14 C4S).

My wife noticed it first, coming from the rear of the car, a quiet plunk, or kinda muted blunk (Cottman Transmission commercial I know) every 7 to 10 seconds. Not coming from the exhaust, varied the rpms to make sure, but sounding like a minor exhaust burp but more metallic. Road undulations possibly has a minor role in the frequency, but not definitive. Really annoying once you know its there and listen for it.

Then, when turning into our development we heard a click and then a subtle clunk from the front left of the car. Normally the car just creaks and groans a bit due to the swale the car has to traverse but this was vocal....louder than anything my Super Duty Ford makes.
So now I'm freekin' out on the inside and my bride is visibly agitated. I dropped her off and took it for a diagnostic drive. Yep, sure enough little binks and clicks from the rear end area keep happening. No cadence but quite often. I have NO idea what the F@*K it is.
I get home, get out with a baffled look......now she's pissed.......and quite frankly so am I.
You have to understand, our daily driver Volvos are dead quiet, at 1/3 the cost.

So have any of you folks had the same experience? I really need to find an answer to this!!!!!!!

To make matters worse we just got the car back from the dealer for the hall-effect sensor repair, car stalling and not starting issue.

I understand these noises probably don't effect the performance of this otherwise awesome car but at this price the quality has to be better.

Thanks for your help,

Bret.
your description of the sounds is cracking me up, "a quite plunk or kinda muted blunk"
Old 09-15-2016, 02:15 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

I've had 6 Porsches and only the 991 has pissed me off with noises.

Quick Reply: 991 Noises - Clicks, clunks and thumps.