Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Noises - Clicks, clunks and thumps.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991 Noises - Clicks, clunks and thumps.

Guys! I really need your help here!

885 miles. Friday evening out..........turned down the stereo to hear the music of the engine on the way home. ('14 C4S).

My wife noticed it first, coming from the rear of the car, a quiet plunk, or kinda muted blunk (Cottman Transmission commercial I know) every 7 to 10 seconds. Not coming from the exhaust, varied the rpms to make sure, but sounding like a minor exhaust burp but more metallic. Road undulations possibly has a minor role in the frequency, but not definitive. Really annoying once you know its there and listen for it.

Then, when turning into our development we heard a click and then a subtle clunk from the front left of the car. Normally the car just creaks and groans a bit due to the swale the car has to traverse but this was vocal....louder than anything my Super Duty Ford makes.
So now I'm freekin' out on the inside and my bride is visibly agitated. I dropped her off and took it for a diagnostic drive. Yep, sure enough little binks and clicks from the rear end area keep happening. No cadence but quite often. I have NO idea what the F@*K it is.
I get home, get out with a baffled look......now she's pissed.......and quite frankly so am I.
You have to understand, our daily driver Volvos are dead quiet, at 1/3 the cost.

So have any of you folks had the same experience? I really need to find an answer to this!!!!!!!

To make matters worse we just got the car back from the dealer for the hall-effect sensor repair, car stalling and not starting issue.

I understand these noises probably don't effect the performance of this otherwise awesome car but at this price the quality has to be better.

Thanks for your help,

Bret.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Viper3838
Advanced

Yep, definitely not the quietest car I've owned. My C2S coupe creaks, rattles, ticks, tocks and tacks all over the place all the time. Try lifting your legs off the seats while driving and you can hear your seat screech and scratch'n too. But what the heck, she's fun as heck and faster than stink, right???? ;p
Old 11-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 11-16-2013, 03:14 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

This sounds pretty annoying for a brand new P car.
J
Old 11-16-2013, 03:59 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds perfectly normal to me. Perfectly within Porsche tradition anyway. These guys are after all German engineers. The engineer makes something to perform a certain function. Because they've done so admirably well we have over time come to associate certain attributes with the performance of these functions. We forget, for example (and if we ever knew) that the way a flat six sounds is the result of engineering for power not sound. It sounds the way it sounds. But over time we associate certain sounds with performance, so much so that some of us spend ridiculous amounts of money just trying to change that sound- as if the car was about sound and not performance!

Look, they've made great strides, okay? But I for one would rather be amazed at the handling and puzzling over a few odd sounds than the other way around.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:48 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Well OK then, I will take your word for it guys..................This is our first Porsche.

"BECAUSE RACE CAR - NOT BENTLEY"
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 AM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

If you're really concerned, take it to the dealership and have them take a listen.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:42 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

It is not so much a concern as it is an NVH issue. As I have stated earlier, we are new to the Porsche scene. I have to thank the veterans here for insight, now we know what to expect...........and keep the radio or RPM's at a higher level.

Best, Bret.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM
DBYT
Pro

Bret,
Probably take it back to Conshy and let Mike tell you whether it's normal noises or not. Porsches are not dead quiet cars as they are built as sports cars.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:53 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
It is not so much a concern as it is an NVH issue. As I have stated earlier, we are new to the Porsche scene. I have to thank the veterans here for insight, now we know what to expect...........and keep the radio or RPM's at a higher level. Best, Bret.
May I suggest that you avoid Porsche of Conshohocken and take it to a service department that will take time and effort to listen to your concerns, actually examine the car and properly advise you. From my recent encounters with Mike at Conshy, I am of the opinion that he failed to listen to me and the tried to bullsh@t me about my car. It seemed to me that although he had no idea what he was talking about, he was absolutely certain. My belief was confirmed by another dealership that fixed the problems with a minimum of drama and stories.

My recommendation is to avoid Conshohocken.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merlins - I've read and re-read your post. I have not heard any of those sounds in my C2S contrary to others. I'd take that baby in for sure.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Yeah, Porsches are not "dead quiet" cars as DBYT says, but you should not be hearing a lot of discrete sounds. A muted clicking sound is not uncommon due to the direct-injection hardware, but periodic clunking sounds may not be normal.

If you have anything at all in your frunk, that'll be what's making the front clunk, most likely. I forgot and left an empty BBQ propane cylinder in mine, and I thought the suspension was falling apart.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:34 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

No doubt.

Not saying it's not something outside the car but anything in the frunk not secure... the noise travels right into the car. I had a pair of sunglasses sliding back and forth in the passenger door pocket and thought there was a loose bolt inside the door.

I can see you will be articulate about the noises you are hearing when you take it to the dealer. It seems inconceivable that for $100k a rattle or clunk could even be fathomable in a car of this caliber but it's still a car and things can work themselves loose or a rattle can occur.

Not that the noises will be audible in a short phone video but sometimes they do and from clunks and noises to error messages always take pictures or video of an issue with these cars. That's not just to the OP. I have been able to prove my point time and time again with warranty issues on other cars when I had evidence since almost 95% of issues like this are intermittent.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:36 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys,
Truly you folks are an asset to all things Porsche.
To be very clear, these sounds are not indicative of imminent mechanical failure, this is more a muted suspension thump or plastic aero panel moving around. The front suspension noise is a stress loaded occurrence, normal from what is discussed here.
Anyway, I will continue to monitor the situation with cautious optimism. If I notice the slightest change in current behavior a swift and effective change control will be initiated.

Again, appreciate your assistance,

Bret.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Your front end noise could be related to this

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7842...n-reverse.html

It is getting cold and lots of threads on this lately.

Not sure about your rear noise though.

Quick Reply: 991 Noises - Clicks, clunks and thumps.