Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche Club of North America (PCNA) worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

no sweat....when i joined PCA at the tender age of 23...I thought 47 year old were old too
Old 11-13-2013, 11:53 PM
spar10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoever said a pca membership is what you make it, is exactly right. i suppose it also depends a lot on your region.

i had a membership for one year and it didn't do anything for me. i've been a rennlist member on and off for a long time and find this a far more valuable place to create a membership.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:53 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Something difficult to get across, PCA is unlike pretty much any other club in that the vast majority never attend a meeting, but they attend events. The "club" experience will be vastly different depending on your region and which events you attend. If you would enjoy just getting together for dinner with some interesting people, regions plan events for this. Go on-line http://www.pca.org find your region website and get a taste for what you'll be in for.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Here's from a post of mine in a similar thread a month ago:

In the last few months, I've done the following with my PCA region:
  • Attended 5 Cars & Coffee events
  • Attended a classic car show and dinner
  • Did a Time, Speed, Distance rally
  • Did a group drive up to the local mountains.
  • Attended a baseball game where the PCA region got a reserved seat section
  • Attended a "3rd Tuesday of the Month" dinner.
  • Attended Porsche Driving School and an Autocross
  • Got a discount for service at my local indy shop
  • Signed up for an upcoming DE
  • Ordered parts for a couple cars, at a great price (one of my PCA chapter members owns a parts supply business)
  • Received reams of great advice
  • Met a bunch of great people
  • Some other stuff I can't recall at the moment
Since that time, add in: attending a track event, a club breakfast, some more cars & coffee, more car parts ordering, meeting some more great people, etc., etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:23 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts
Default "Old" timers

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
no sweat....when i joined PCA at the tender age of 23...I thought 47 year old were old too
Manny, I joined at 23 also, many, many years ago. It's been a way of life for me all these years. Thanks to you and the national team for making it a great experience.

Between Chesapeake, Potomac, and now Florida Crown Regions, its been fun and very different for each region.

BTW, it was great seeing you at the Cary Cars and Coffee a couple of weeks ago. That and the NC Museum of Art show were great reminders that it really is "all about the people".
Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I think its well worth the cost
Old 11-15-2013, 12:35 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 40+ year member of PCA and founded the first Region in Canada in 1975. The membership is what you make of it. In the old days there were many "Badge and Pano" members who thought the dues were worth it for the magazine alone. In our area our dealer is giving 15% discount on parts and labour these days. Also, if your region is not having all the types of events you like then normally a neighbouring region will welcome you to their events also.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been a member since I bought my first Cayman in 2006. I don't do a lot of the events, but locally our chapter has something for everybody. The coolest thing I did go to was a club only tour of the local Ferrari dealership's facililities a few years back. We were given full access to all of their sales and service areas, the associated Risi Racing shop, and the owner's personal collection including the only 250GTO I've ever gotten to see up close.
This next statement might be kind of controversial, but here goes: To a lot of the general public, Porsche owners are snobbish, elitist, and ********. I have to say I agree that applies to a lot of us. But...I have met only the nicest people at PCA functions. The club saying is "it's the people, not the car" and that's absolutely true. The first group of owners I mentioned doesn't usually join PCA, or if they do, they don't stick around.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey Kathout, did you find out what PCA region you're in or look into it at all?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:56 AM
Kathuat
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Hey Kathout, did you find out what PCA region you're in or look into it at all?
Yes. I am in the Potomac region. My understanding that the Potomac chapter is very strong with a lot of members and activities/events. Excited to be a part of the chapter and looking forward to participating.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:41 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 78 Posts

I decided not to opt for it - I'm busy most of the week so try to spend every bit of time left with the family....
Old 11-16-2013, 10:24 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts

If you are a Porsche enthusiast then the PCA is well worth it. The tech sessions, DE, rallies, concours, parties, dinners and other family events they have are well done and a lot of fun. My 17 year old daughter and I participated in a rally a couple months ago and had a blast. If you are just a Porsche owner, then it's not worth it.

Last edited by parkerfe; 11-17-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
If you are a Porsche enthusiast then the PCA is well worth it. The tech sessions, DE, rallies, concours, parties, dinners and other family events they have are well done and a lot of fun. M 17 year old daughter and I participated in a rally a couple months ago and had a blast. If you are just a Porsche owner, then it's not worth it.
That's your opinion and I respect it. I'm hardcore Porsche enthusiast with a young family (I'm in my 30s). I'm extremely busy throughout the week and also travel internationally quite a bit. I LOVE taking road trips in my "highly optioned" C4S with my boys and wife--we all enjoy it. I also love reading Porsche blogs, mags and discussing cars with like minded friends. I just don't buy your comment "if you're just a Porsche owner" and implying "not enthusiast" PCA isn't for you. I'd say if you have free time, PCA is definitely of you.
The following users liked this post:
Automobilist (03-03-2021)
Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
That's your opinion and I respect it. I'm hardcore Porsche enthusiast with a young family (I'm in my 30s). I'm extremely busy throughout the week and also travel internationally quite a bit. I LOVE taking road trips in my "highly optioned" C4S with my boys and wife--we all enjoy it. I also love reading Porsche blogs, mags and discussing cars with like minded friends. I just don't buy your comment "if you're just a Porsche owner" and implying "not enthusiast" PCA isn't for you. I'd say if you have free time, PCA is definitely of you.
My comments were not meant as an insult. My point was that if you're an enthusiast, then you would enjoy the many PCA events with your family, as well as alone, so a membership is worth it. But, if you just bought a Porsche because it's a cool car to be seen in, then you probably wouldn't enjoy PCA events, so membership is not worth it.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:12 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
"Panorama" the monthly magazine has a high amount of "technical" on the cars also. Worth the membership for the magazine only for most owners.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche Club of North America (PCNA) worth it?