Sponsored by:

Your Favorite Car Cleaning Products

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Explorer7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your Favorite Car Cleaning Products

I am looking to stock up my garage with cleaning products, mitts, cloths, wax, cleaning solution, a buffer, etc.

I found so many products online, I thought I check with the experts and get your opinion on your favorite car cleaning products.

for once, i was thinking about purchasing this buffer
Makita 9227CX3 7-Inch Hook and Loop Electronic Polisher-Sander with Polishing Kit - Amazon.com Makita 9227CX3 7-Inch Hook and Loop Electronic Polisher-Sander with Polishing Kit - Amazon.com

and then there are many different brands with microfiber cloths, waffle, regular, leather sham.. etc ..

I have about 6 weeks to come up with the perfect selection of cleaning supplies.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I would check out some of the dedicated detailing forums out there: autogeek, autopia, etc.-----There is a ton of great info on them. You will also find that like automobiles in general, everyone will have a different opinion and different favorites and say they are the 'best'. Find something that works for you and gives you good results and stick with them!

Here are some of my favs and a few ideas/opinions/suggestions for you.

As for the buffer: it is a 'rotary' buffer and if you do not have experience using them, I would shy away from this type and look into a 'DA/RA' dual action/random action/orbital buffer. Much easier to use and also far less likely to 'damage' or induce swirls/holograms into your paint. Just my 2 cents.

My go to products: Wash mitt: Carpro merino wool mitt. The best I have used to date. Just awesome.

Car wash soap: I use a few, any good quality PH neutral soap. I personaly like Adam's car wash shampoo.

Waterless wash: UWW/Ultima Waterless Wash.

Rinseless wash: ONR/Optimum No Rinse

^^^The above two products are life and time savers in my opinion. Also great if you live in an area that has water restrictions during certain times of the year.

Detail spray: Adam's detail spray. Just started to try out the new Pinnacle brand spray and like it so far.

Tire dressing: Adam's VRT and Blackfire. Both have a low/satin shine which I prefer over a very shiny/wet dressing.

Glass cleaner: Adam's. Best I've used yet.

Microfiber towels: Cobra and Adam's

Polishes: Meguiars M105/M205 depending upon how aggressive you go.

Pads/Polishers: Lake country foam pads, Surf-buff micro finger pads. Polishers: I pretty much have them all. Love the Rupes, Flex and the Griots 6" is a great machine.

Wax/sealants: Wofgang Fuzion, Colonite 745, Blackfire blackice, blackfire wet diamond sealant is almost my go to sealant.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, hope it helps you some though.

Keep us posted on what you decide on and how you make out. Feel free to PM/email me if you want any additional information/guidance. I LOVE this stuff!

See ya!

Last edited by Bigalfromfl; 11-10-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep it simple, and use the Griot's Garage line of products. I have been very satisfied with everything I have used:
Car wash
Clay
Speed shine detailing spray
Speed Wax
Best in Show wax
Machine Polish
Glass polish
Wheel cleaner
Various micro fiber towels
Random Orbital with assorted foam pads.

I also use a CR Spotless water deionizer from Costco

It all keeps my car looking like this:
Attached Images    
Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep it simple.

Menzerna FG400 polish
Menzerna Power Lock sealant
Porter Cable DA polisher
Microfiber pads
Mequiars Gold Class car wash
Leatherique for interior leather
Einszett Premium Cockpit for interior rubber and plastic
Eagle One A2Z Wheel cleaner
Meguiars Tire Gel
Microfiber from Cobra and PoorBoys World
Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 PM
TheDatanator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
I keep it simple, and use the Griot's Garage line of products. I have been very satisfied with everything I have used: Car wash Clay Speed shine detailing spray Speed Wax Best in Show wax Machine Polish Glass polish Wheel cleaner Various micro fiber towels Random Orbital with assorted foam pads. I also use a CR Spotless water deionizer from Costco
This is my exact list too!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hammer:

YOUR CAR LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!! Great job on a beautiful black ride! I could jump into that baby it looks so wet/deep. Again, excellent work.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 PM
kosmo
Race Director

some of my ATFs:

1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior
SONAX Leather Foam Cleaner for Perforated leather
Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush
RaggTopp for Cabs
P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer
Wurth Rubber Care
Old 11-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Thanks BigAl.
Wash/clay/polish out a couple swirls/wax took about 3.5 hours that evening. It's going to get the full treatment again in about a month...they are still doing a lot of asphalt paving around here since the weather has been so good, lots of sticky residue flying around...then I'm good until spring.

I think what makes a black car different than other colors is (when it's clean and shiny) you never see "the car," you see the world around it reflected in the shape of the car. Sorry...that sounds a little existentialist or something, but hopefully you know what I mean. Combination of travel lag and cocktails perhaps.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I keep it simple, and use the Griot's Garage line of products. I have been very satisfied with everything I have used:
Car wash
Clay
Speed Wax
Best in Show wax
Machine Polish
Glass polish
Wheel cleaner

+1 you simply cannot go wrong following the advice of a guy who's car is so flawless it disappears.

Few details I would add- with a new car always hand washed use Griot's Machine 4 polish. Machine 3 is okay too but a little more aggressive. You want to stay as mild as possible. Less aggressive means finer polish equals higher gloss too.

In detailing the Prime Directive is be gentle. Use too much pressure and even the finest products will leave scratches. Flip side, learn good technique and you'll be able to get good results even with Turtle Wax. For stellar results, go back to the top and read Hammer again.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:55 AM
kosmo
Race Director

The griots da is good value for money. Amazon usually has special. As others have said stay away from rotary for now.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:30 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Explorer, I just now looked at your Makita link and have to second Bigalfromfl and say DO NOT get that! It's rotary. You want random orbital. Look for something compact and light, ideally like you could hold like a palm sander. Big handles only get in the way and risk hitting the car. Too much of what's offered is way more powerful than we really need. Very little power or pressure is really needed at all. Some of the stuff I've seen out there, the orbital itself weighs more than the pressure needed, so you have to actually work harder even though its more powerful. I've used my Makita random orbital for years, and with Griot's orange pad and polish could not harm paint even if I tried. That's what you should be going for.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:50 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of my favorite items:

- 1Z cockpit premium
- AMMO Spit spray detailer
- 1Z wheel cleaner
- 1Z perls shampoo
- Chemical Guys microfiber wash mitt
- Chemical Guys ultra plush microfiber towels
- Griots speed shine
- Griots clay
- More Chemical Guys ultra plush microfiber towels because they are that good
- P21 wax
Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I would almost buy a bottle of "AMMO Spit Spray" just to have to pull out at events.
Does it really spray spit? Or bullets? Either way, better stand back!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Car wash
Clay
Speed Wax
Best in Show wax
Machine Polish
Glass polish
Wheel cleaner

Wow, your car looks amazing.

I just drive through the auto wash at the gas station. I do try to avoid the whipping chamois ones when possible though.

Last edited by 008; 11-11-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'll mention 2 items that have been great:

1) Armor All Wheel Protectant spray. Good-bye brake dust and dirt. Makes next clean-up super easy.

2) Griots Bug Barricade. Leaves a very slight haze. Makes next clean-up super easy. I use on the front bumper and side mirrors.

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Car Cleaning Products