Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Maintenance on 991

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I would never use/recommend using a non OE Porsche oil filter during the warranty period. Not after the warranty, either.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I do everything except engine or transmission rebuild.
What he said.

If I could afford or had access to the specialty tools, I'd rebuild the engine too.

Ryan
Old 09-02-2014, 11:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting non-Mahle oil filter story, I tried Fram one time when my usual shop wasn't available. Next couple mornings noticed this knocking sound at idle. Dropped by Squire's to see what he thought. Second Q, did you use a different filter? Bingo, that's your problem!

Ever look and see the spring just inside the filter? Ever wonder what that is? The spring opens a valve under pressure that allows oil flow to bypass the filter at high rpm. Otherwise the filter might blow out. So first lesson, even with a filter not all oil is filtered. The Fram spring was so weak it was opening and closing the bypass, that was the knocking sound, only it was doing this at idle. So second lesson, use another filter, filter even less oil.

The interesting thing here is that manufacturers can legitimately make the claim that their filter is just as good, because yes indeed, the FILTER is just as good! Only the spring is so weak its bypassing all the oil and not hardly ever doing any filtering at all!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:25 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont forget the value of a full service history when you come to sell/trade-in your car...
This is repeated ad-naseum, yet in 30 years of selling/trading cars, including 6 BMW's (2M's), 4 MB's, an Audi, a GT-R and A Ferrari, I was never asked for service records once.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
This is repeated ad-naseum, yet in 30 years of selling/trading cars, including 6 BMW's (2M's), 4 MB's, an Audi, a GT-R and A Ferrari, I was never asked for service records once.
To Todd's point, I did once have a Chevy dealer try to lowball me on a trade of my 996 (against a Corvette) because there was no record on the Carfax of the 30K service. I 'splained that I did it myself, but they insisted that the lack of history would affect the value. I ended up selling it privately and the buyer was fine with my explanation.

I suppose that if you were trading in the Porsche to a Porsche dealer and said dealer was going to CPO the car, then they would do any service due that was not documented, so it could be presumed that they might ding you for that cost on trade value.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:11 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 279 Posts

I recently traded my cayman in and wasn't asked about a service history. I did run a carfax and t showed the oil changes done by a local guy(not porsche). I have never traded in to a porsche dealer. They seem to want the highest price for their cars and offer low for your car. Just my experience.
My current 911 was bought at a Range Rover dealership.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AzCoronaDog
Not sure where you guys shop, but I just did an oil change for less than $65 in parts:
2 x 5qt Mobil1 0w40 from Walmart @ $22.66 (only used 8qts, waiting to check level)
1 x Wix filter from O'Reilly auto @ 13.49
Total $58.81 + 5.00 tax = $63.81

I did not have a 36mm socket for the oil filter cap, but I found that a 1 3/8" was a very tight fit and it worked fine. Let it drain a long time per the comments on this site.

Was probably the cleanest oil change of all the vehicles I have ever owned! I guess the Porsche dealer is very proud of their facilities and mechanics to charge another ~$200 for labor.
I also use Walmart for most of my engine oils and I get my Wix filters from Bennett Auto Supply. For my Spec Miata race car my engine builder, Rossini, recommends Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10w-30 available at Walmart.

If you are really concerned about a service history, you can create your own. Keep a logbook, take pictures during your work, keep all the receipts for materials.

Ryan
Old 09-03-2014, 05:31 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

Most Porsche owners won't have to worry about service history because they don't keep their cars long enough to need service.

I like using excel to keep track of everything and even list upcoming services.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8t...it?usp=sharing

Quick Reply: DIY Maintenance on 991